ADVERTISEMENT

WE NEED A NEW MASCOT

cmullinsTU

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2006
I really wanted an excuse to make an all uppercase thread name. This also gives me an opportunity to bring up, our new captain cane is terrible and the costume is in horrible shape the "gloves" are turning green. I think someone washed the blue and yellow pieces together....
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It is bad. Just bring back the old Capt. Cane and admit that this stupid comic book thing was a mistake.

I'm glad you asked the question about the gloves - I can actually answer questions like this with some authority :). Short answer - yes, the gloves were washed with the rest of the body and it is turning them green. The good news is that the green gloves show a commitment to the mascot program that wasn't there when I was suiting up. When I was Captian Cane I handled all labor and cost of cleaning and maintenance of the costume myself. Now the equipment staff handles cleaning the suit, so that is a step in the right direction, they probably just need some reminding not the mix the blue and yellow in the wash.

As for the students in the suit - we had first year mascots working this year. I've had the chance to work with them for an evening, and they are getting better with each time they are in the costume. Overall, I was pleased with their progress and expect basketball to really help them get better,

Thanks for putting the tread in capitals so that I would notice it and respond :)

Who are you? I know one of the RAs that worked for me back around the same time you were Captain Cane also worked as Captain Cane.

IMO this iteration of Captain Cane is just....awful. Not the individuals in the suit, but the whole image and back story. I actually know where the original concept came from as a student
(former RA as well) drew the concept art and actually had his own
costume made. It was more superhero based and did not use the
traditional blown up muscle suit.

The previous Cane was better but the costume and imaging needed some help, mostly the smile instead of the growl. The image that the Eskimo Joe company marketer did was by far my favorite and I have one of the original shirts with the comic book cover on the back. The pupil-less eyes and scowl were a great image to represent Captain Cane. Not sure why they never put that into a costume format. The other great image of Captain Cane is the one on the poster handed out for the opening of the Reynold's Center (the one where the storm above led to Captain Cane with his leg propped on the roof of the Reynold's Center). That image is the one TU should try to strive and create.

Think we can get Graham's son, the mini me to Capt. Cane, to come back? He seemed like an up and coming mascot.

If not, we should think outside the box. The singer for Gwar died, and I imagine there are several talented art majors out there who could also serve a dual purpose as backup guitar in the Shame.

Or there are probably some UCF grads at Disney world who may be interested. We can have them submit their pics to Barrister for approval.

We could also look at the UTEP miner, but there may be issues with the paperwork.

I believe I know this Captain Cane. If it is who I think it is, best damn Mascot I've ever seen. This man brought a passion to it that I've seen few people bring to anything in their lives. Whether it was high school, college or pro level, he always brought it. Those crowds were always fortunate to have someone with that kind of intensity and love for what they do.

If you are who I think you are, thanks for the commitment you brought to the role, Sir. Hope you and yours are doing well. Hope to see you on Xbox sometime. Samuel and I have been missing ya.

Originally posted by Gmoney4WW:
I hear the UAB mascot might be free in the near future?
I'm holding out for their medical school.

I'll take their academic standards for athletes, if they are willing to sell it.

TU_BLA - Normally the years that I was in the suit are listed in the signature line, but I posted my response this morning from mobile so it didn't show. I was Captain Cane from the end of 2000 through 2004, so I believe I was a couple of years behind the guys that you are thinking of. I know the Cane who came up with the original concept fairly well as he was a youth group teacher at my church when he was in college and I was in early high school.

Church - thanks for the kind remembrances of my time being a mascot - even when the teams were bad it was a lot of fun to be Captain Cane, which is what I try to pass on to the students who don the suit each year. I'll make sure to be in touch more often.

Cane, I was a hall director from '99-2006, so you were definitely at TU when I was there. The mascots and cheerleaders were much better back then. I don't think anyone has ever had an issue with the individuals who wear the costume, but the actual image itself as the university can't seem to find the right fit really

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT