ADVERTISEMENT

We are all being tracked

Interesting article about cell phones are constantly tracking us...evidently all of us. Any concept of privacy left the barn long ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/19/opinion/location-tracking-cell-phone.html
So it was okay to track Carter Page on falsified information, even to changing "Yes" to "no." I don't mind being tracked as to location all that much, but tracked in my personal business because of lies given to a secret court by the FBI is another thing.

Amazing but not surprising that the media who once championed themselves as the guardian of our democracy is silent about one of the most dangerous abuse of power by the federal government in years. Sadly, the msm have become little more than a political mouthpiece of the left.

This phone thing is no joke. I was in Target recently looking at specific items for a kid's birthday gift. Next time I log in to Facebook, ads galore for that item along with several others on the same aisle. They're using "geofencing" and retail stores can set it up and use the GPS info from your phone (which if you have Target's retail app that allows you to pull discount coupons for certain items...used to be called "Cartwheel", now they incorporate it into their main app and call it "circle"; you have to have the GPS on while you're using the app) to pinpoint which section of the store you're in to set up targeted ads in your social media. It's freaking spooky.

Of course, Siri is always listening and so is Alexa in your home so even mentioning a product casually like "I really like the Nikon D-50 camera" will end up with you being bombarded with ads for the product.

Tracking software is now readily available to private individuals. One click on a website and the owner of said site can now track your online activity and following you with popups, messages, etc.. Anyone under the belief that their online activity is private needs to reconsider.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Tracking software is now readily available to private individuals. One click on a website and the owner of said site can now track your online activity and following you with popups, messages, etc.. Anyone under the belief that their online activity is private needs to reconsider.
Retail or other seller websites, or even news sites, don't even give you an option of not allowing cookies anymore. They just tell you they're using them and you should consider yourself notified. If you turn them off in your browser, you'll have like 3 pages of internet content at your disposal for all eternity and they all contain info on how the guvmint is tracking you.

Reactions: Watu3
I thought tracking all movements was a daily part of a CHICOMs life?

The US is moving in the same direction with the same tools. The actors are bit different, but the outcomes are similar. See Palantir--co-founded by the CIA and run by Trump financial supporter Peter Thiel.

Just FYI.....next time you click on a national real estate page showing homes for sale or a national lender site you are likely going to be tracked from that point out. Also...you're information is being sent to realtors and lenders for fo

There's cheap software available to everyone on this board which would enable them to track anyone's online activity based on a click on a website. Making this a deep state thing or in your case trying to tie it in some way to Trump isn't based in reality.

"Tracking online activity" with cheap software? Not the same thing at all. There is a reason why Palantir's market value been ascribed as between $9 and $20 Billion and investment banks are drooling over an IPO. Why are its primary clients the NSA, DoD, and CIA? The only reason Palantir hasn't gone public is that they haven't figured out how to deal with the disclosures required of a public company.

As for surveillance being woo woo "deep state" stuff, that's your take. Mine is that it is what every major country is doing. People post condemnations of China for surveillance, but ignore that the US is doing the same with physical tracking, illegal phone tapping, secret courts, expanded facial recognition, and so on. Heck, Clear is taking and applying retina scans so people can get on airplanes or enter arenas faster. People pay for the service. Palantir and its competitors enable the government to access, amass and manage all this disparate data and to identify and drill down to individuals. This data record is comprehensive and permanent. Big data’s tools are growing in capability and seeking new applications.

There's cheap software available to everyone on this board which would enable them to track anyone's online activity based on a click on a website. Making this a deep state thing or in your case trying to tie it in some way to Trump isn't based in reality.

Last edited:
Oops. I forgot the data bases tracking DNA and ancestry. People are already paying to add their DNA information via Ancestry.com and others which creates ever larger databases that are already being openly screened by police departments. If your relatives are in the DNA database, then you could be ID'd too. Combine that with the data listed above with data management tools to easily assemble individual profiles, and it's hard to see a big difference in end points between the US and China's surveillance systems.

"Tracking online activity" with cheap software? Not the same thing at all. There is a reason why Palantir's market value been ascribed as between $9 and $20 Billion and investment banks are drooling over an IPO. Why are its primary clients the NSA, DoD, and CIA? The only reason Palantir hasn't gone public is that they haven't figured out how to deal with the disclosures required of a public company.

As for surveillance being woo woo "deep state" stuff, that's your take. Mine is that it is what every major country is doing. People post condemnations of China for surveillance, but ignore that the US is doing the same with physical tracking, illegal phone tapping, secret courts, expanded facial recognition, and so on. Heck, Clear is taking and applying retina scans so people can get on airplanes or enter arenas faster. People pay for the service. Palantir and its competitors enable the government to access, amass and manage all this disparate data and to identify and drill down to individuals. This data record is comprehensive and permanent. Big data’s tools are growing in capability and seeking new applications.

I don't disagree with the premise and have issues with the Feds and their increasing surveillance state. Secret search warrants, the entire FISA process and abuse, are just the tip of the iceberg. My point was that even private individuals are now part of the tracking process of other private individuals...and it's cheap and easy. Unfortunately, I don't see any turning back. This is why so many people have issues with a powerful centralized federal government. People are generally powerless to stop the stripping away of their civil liberties from a federal authority. The feds will continue to use the excuse of terrorism as they chisel away our privacy as well as violate due process. It is what it is.

The US is moving in the same direction with the same tools. The actors are bit different, but the outcomes are similar. See Palantir--co-founded by the CIA and run by Trump financial supporter Peter Thiel.
Again.. a chi-com lover like yourself should be doing hand springs over this...

Any large executive bureaucracy will do it. The similarities between the US, China, and Russian surveillance goals are more alike than different. Supposedly the US has checks and balances as protections but those get worn away by appeals to fear (911, Patriot Act, massive, secret, illegal wiretapping) and the tendency of executive branches whether they be kings, dictators, or presidents to increase their power.

Our founders were very focused on the risk of an unbridled executive. The Declaration of Independence is a list of grievances against the king, and the Constitution is structured to limit the executive’s power. But who could image how hard it would be for legislation to keep up with the possibilities that changes in technology create?

Right now we have a sycophantic Senate that refuses to exercise its role as a check on executive power. So much for checks and balances, so much for outdated concepts of privacy or anonymity.

I don't disagree with the premise and have issues with the Feds and their increasing surveillance state. Secret search warrants, the entire FISA process and abuse, are just the tip of the iceberg. My point was that even private individuals are now part of the tracking process of other private individuals...and it's cheap and easy. Unfortunately, I don't see any turning back. This is why so many people have issues with a powerful centralized federal government. People are generally powerless to stop the stripping away of their civil liberties from a federal authority. The feds will continue to use the excuse of terrorism as they chisel away our privacy as well as violate due process. It is what it is.

I’m always amazed how you can take any issue and discussion and turn it into a partisan one. This isn’t a Dem or Pub issue. It’s civil liberties issue. One which neither party has any high ground. We had a whistle blower expose our surveillance programs. Our response was to attack his method of release, source and nature of the information and try to throw him in jail rather than actually look at what was exposed and make changes. We have the FBI, CIA, etc..operating outside the law and no one seems to care. They’re too busy playing political games with each other. Unfortunately, the public doesn’t seem to care either.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU Pilot
Huh, it's almost like big government is bad and just wants power at any cost no matter who is elected to office... If there was only some kind of document that would restrict that power...

If one associates unrelenting surveillance a tool of oppression and dictatorship (as in the book 1984), it's a disturbing trend.

Benjamin Franklin was asked , ‘What do we have, a republic or a monarchy?’ Franklin replied, ‘A republic, if you can keep it.’ Our responsibility is to keep it.”

The end of the Roman Republic offers instructive parallels to us today in that it was a charismatic Julius Caesar who broke all the rules to become a dictator. After Caesar's death the Senate proved docile and unwilling to assume the responsibilities that it had formerly exercised. Instead it became the lap dog of Augustus Caesar. Rome continued but not as a Republic.

Many of the founders had classical educations, were well aware of this example, and the challenge of having both an effective executive without sliding into a monarchy.

Europe has been far more aggressive than the US in attempting to limit private sector intrusions into privacy, but at the government level, it may just be like the US and China.

Last edited:
If one associates unrelenting surveillance a tool of oppression and dictatorship (as in the book 1984), it's a disturbing trend.

Benjamin Franklin was asked , ‘What do we have, a republic or a monarchy?’ Franklin replied, ‘A republic, if you can keep it.’ Our responsibility is to keep it.”

The end of the Roman Republic offers instructive parallels to us today in that it was a charismatic Julius Caesar who broke all the rules to become a dictator. After Caesar's death the Senate proved docile and unwilling to assume the responsibilities that it had formerly exercised. Instead it became the lap dog of Augustus Caesar. Rome continued but not as a Republic.

Many of the founders had classical educations, were well aware of this example, and the challenge of having both an effective executive without sliding into a monarchy.

Europe has been far more aggressive than the US in attempting to limit private sector intrusions into privacy, but at the government level, it may just be like the US and China.

Didnt the senate murder Caesar? Et tu watu?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT