ADVERTISEMENT

Video Spotlight: Tulsa OL commit Rowdy Frederick

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
6-foot-4, 330 pound Broken Arrow (OK) lineman Rowdy Frederick committed to Tulsa in early August. Check out these senior-season highlights of the 3-star prospect.
[
4109.gif
details]

6-foot-4, 330 pound Broken Arrow (OK) lineman Rowdy Frederick committed to Tulsa in early August. Check out these senior-season highlights of the 3-star prospect.
[
4109.gif
details]
Hey Chris, I'm not trying to be facetious, but why is this kid only rated a 3 star player? Seems like players are rated higher until they commit to Tulsa. Any truth to that, or am I way off?

Hey Chris, I'm not trying to be facetious, but why is this kid only rated a 3 star player? Seems like players are rated higher until they commit to Tulsa. Any truth to that, or am I way off?
Rivals 're-did' their recruit rankings a year or two ago. Now if you don't have a ton of P5 offers you aren't going to get many stars.

He's not happy until the defender is smashed into the turf, 321 pounds of bulldozer.

No, there isn't any truth to that. I've seen plenty of kids go up in the rankings and gain a star after they committed to Tulsa. I've seen kids commit to OU and later lose a star. There's a lot that goes into Rivals rankings...it's not just about who has offered and who they commit to.

Rivals 're-did' their recruit rankings a year or two ago. Now if you don't have a ton of P5 offers you aren't going to get many stars.
Actually, Rivals restructured their recruiting rankings about 3 or 4 years ago, and it simply made fewer 3, 4 and 5 star prospects. The main hit was to 3-star prospects, as that pool had become saturated and really did not differentiate enough between 2 and 3 star talent. So that's why you saw TU signing a lot fewer 3-star prospects all of the sudden a few years back. I've posted about this numerous times.

While P5 offers obviously carry some weight, the majority of Rivals rankings by the national analysts are done by in-person evaluations at the Rivals Camp Series, evaluation of game film, as well as evaluations sent in by the publisher network (such as when I go out and watch kids at camps or in games).

Rankings will never be perfect...far from it...and kids will always be missed or overlooked. That's just the nature of it.

As far as football evaluations go, I much prefer 247's system. A ranking based on 100 where most recruits start somewhere around 70. You still have the 'star' system as well, but it really lets you see what echelon a kid is at. That speaks nothing to how accurate they are... I'm sure rivals could beat them there.

I certainly prefer 247 over Scout...247 even has a ranking that utilizes an average of all the recruiting services. All rankings are subjective, but Rivals has the most evaluators/analysts/publishers/etc. by far, so they see many more kids in person than the other recruiting services.

I know we're talking football here and I don't follow either service in that sport. Actually, I really don't in basketball either, because they both don't have anything close to accurate data on Tulsa. 247 has us with 2 BB commits, Henderson and Atson. Scout has us with 3, Darrell Brown, Atson and Korita. 247 had McDowell committed to us months after he decommited and now Scout still has Brown committed. Neither have Igbanu. We are extremely fortunate to have someone in Chris, who is always spot on--in both sports.

I know we're talking football here and I don't follow either service in that sport. Actually, I really don't in basketball either, because they both don't have anything close to accurate data on Tulsa. 247 has us with 2 BB commits, Henderson and Atson. Scout has us with 3, Darrell Brown, Atson and Korita. 247 had McDowell committed to us months after he decommited and now Scout still has Brown committed. Neither have Igbanu. We are extremely fortunate to have someone in Chris, who is always spot on--in both sports.

Ya, I wasn't talking about having info on Tulsa specifically. I just meant players in general... really they're not that good at basketball. I use Rivals + Verbal Commits for basketball and Rivals + 247 for football.

Verbal Commits isn't very detailed, but I do like that they connect to players' twitter feeds, and what twitter is saying about them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT