ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa's Ozone Alert Program

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about good things on here but here goes.

Tulsa has an ozone abatement program organized by INCOG [Indian Nations Council of Governments]. The is an alert system to match the conditions expected the next day in the air. Governments cooperate with things like free bus rides. Citizens are asked to put off mowing and other such things on alert days and only buy gas if needed and after dark when sunlight cause conversions and heat caused inversions occur. Industry is asked to do the same plus gasoline contains less vapor pressure than the federal regulations allow.

2012 was a bad year, partly because the rules were made stricter. There were about twenty days when the standard was exceeded. There has been great progress in the last three years. Last year there were no values over the limit. This year one. But the deciding factor is the 4th highest each year and the average for the last three years of the 4th highest each year. There has been fantastic progress.

Several folks get credit. INCOG for running it, cities for things like the free bus rides, the press for publicizing it and explaining it well, citizens for paying attention, industry for doing the same and fuel companies for the "voluntary" reduction in vapor pressure of gasoline below legal maximums.

Sometimes things work.

http://ozonealert.com/scorecard2015.html

Reactions: 2PoorTUFans
By the way, this is win/win. The cities don't go and the dirty air list and can bring in new businesses and industry. People don't have to pay more for reformulated gasoline and refiners don't have to make it.

Man isn't it great seeing how government can create positive change?

Absolutely, and all of the groups I mentioned have worked together instead of fighting. An allergy clinic even includes a detailed pollen count. That's not ozone but it is something that effects the same people [example people with asthma and COPD] that are most effected by air pollution. As that great philosopher Hillary Clinton said "it takes a whole village." If everyone works together rather than fighting all gain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT