ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa World Dave Rader Article Shove It

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulsaRulzOSUdrools

I.T.S. Junior
May 1, 2007
Do you think Haisten was paid by Rader to publish this? What a bitter man. He sucked. He got fired.

Why isn't Haisten writing about the current team instead of lamenting about a failed coach from 25 years ago? What friggin' joke.

What we should be bitter about is him bending over and taking it in the pipe Ryan Walters.

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
Do you think Haisten was paid by Rader to publish this? What a bitter man. He sucked. He got fired.

Why isn't Haisten writing about the current team instead of lamenting about a failed coach from 25 years ago? What friggin' joke.

What we should be bitter about is him bending over and taking it in the pipe Ryan Walters.

If Haisten still works for the Tulsa World, and/or it is still in business, I wouldn't be surprised for him to edit this article, and republish it after 30 years, 35 years, etc.

Reactions: TU 1978
Dear Droolz: Thank you for your thoroughly disgusting post. I hope it gave you warm & fuzzy feelings to trash Coach Rader (St. Senator, R-Tulsa). Yes, he had many losing seasons but he also had a glorious season in TU Football history. A good man, a TU QB with a degree in Mechanical Eng. and a coach who was under the (recruiting) gun while still managing to beat several big boys such as A&M, Iowa, Tx Tech and so on. Those of us around in that era took the good & with the bad......but it was our coach and our football team and it was always entertaining.

I hope I'm around to read that "edited" version of a deserved puff piece on Coach Rader in 5 more years.

Dear Droolz: Thank you for your thoroughly disgusting post. I hope it gave you warm & fuzzy feelings to trash Coach Rader (St. Senator, R-Tulsa). Yes, he had many losing seasons but he also had a glorious season in TU Football history. A good man, a TU QB with a degree in Mechanical Eng. and a coach who was under the (recruiting) gun while still managing to beat several big boys such as A&M, Iowa, Tx Tech and so on. Those of us around in that era took the good & with the bad......but it was our coach and our football team and it was always entertaining.

I hope I'm around to read that "edited" version of a deserved puff piece on Coach Rader in 5 more years.
He wasn't a bad coach, they just changed the easier majors on him. He couldn't pull in the same players he had before, because he didn't adapt. But the article is negative press in a puff piece. Only Haisten could find a way to be negative in a puff piece on Tulsa sports.

Reactions: eastcane
Haisten is always parting his legs for the negative.

Good coach and a better human being . If you don't believe that TU's administration didn't pull the rug out
from under the coaching staff then do some research and realize that Rader's staff had recruited some
outstanding talent with a handful playing in the NFL .

Nope, I could have written something 10x times worse. I am so tired of the TU-ruined Rader BS. He knew where he was at. He didn't like that the university decided to get rid of a ridiculous degree. Cry more. Go away. I am tired of the crying. 25 years later, our writers still can't get over themselves even after our school's progress. It is atrocious. Shove. It. Up. Your. Ass. Haisten.

Why is he considered such a good man? He says nothing about the worst secretary of education, who is the biggest embarrassment to the state of Oklahoma. Walters ruins more deals for this state than anyone else. I am sure the clowns here think that is good, though. Great guy! wonderful! He goes to church every week!

Dave should have left after the successful bowl season when he had offers to do so. Other coaches would have left.

Reactions: noble cane
Good coach and a better human being . If you don't believe that TU's administration didn't pull the rug out
from under the coaching staff then do some research and realize that Rader's staff had recruited some
outstanding talent with a handful playing in the NFL .
Most of Dave’s coaching days were a little before my time , but from what I have understood was that administration gave him nothing to work with , he did speak to my highschool football team about when I was a junior . Seemed like a really great guy , considering I was the only TU fan on my whole team , I thought it was the coolest thing to have him speak to us

I’m not sure what his point was. Dredging up something 25 years ago for what purpose
?
I think he (Haisten) likes the attention.
What a jerk
This isn't the first time he has done a retro article on Radar, IIRC. That's why I put the comment up about 30/35.

Less work for him, gets to pick at TU again with a puff piece, gets attention, and self medicates his inferiority complex.(Went to OSU and now heads the dept at a dying newspaper, which he never would have in the newspaper's heyday.)

How could he ask for anything more.

Reactions: TU83
Nope, I could have written something 10x times worse. I am so tired of the TU-ruined Rader BS. He knew where he was at. He didn't like that the university decided to get rid of a ridiculous degree. Cry more. Go away. I am tired of the crying. 25 years later, our writers still can't get over themselves even after our school's progress. It is atrocious. Shove. It. Up. Your. Ass. Haisten.

Why is he considered such a good man? He says nothing about the worst secretary of education, who is the biggest embarrassment to the state of Oklahoma. Walters ruins more deals for this state than anyone else. I am sure the clowns here think that is good, though. Great guy! wonderful! He goes to church every week!
Coach Dave still comes to almost all of the home games. I don’t know if you actually attend or not, but maybe you could look him up sometime and say hello.

Coach Dave still comes to almost all of the home games. I don’t know if you actually attend or not, but maybe you could look him up sometime and say hello.
In addition to coming to the games Dave stays involved with other TU athletic functions. There was a picture posted on social media of Dave, Bill and Todd Berry (3 former TU QBs. and NCAA HCs) along with a new member of the staff Denver Johnson (player development) also a former player and long time coach from practice yesterday.

In addition to coming to the games Dave stays involved with other TU athletic functions. There was a picture posted on social media of Dave, Bill and Todd Berry (3 former TU QBs. and NCAA HCs) along with a new member of the staff Denver Johnson (player development) also a former player and long time coach from practice yesterday.
Screenshot 2024-07-30 151634.png

8 straight losing seasons
If you look at some of those losing seasons, we start out with solid wins Iowa, Oklahoma, etc… only to have a depleted roster as season progressed. Injuries impacted us because our quality of depth was limited by things beyond solely Dave’s control. He could have left in either 91 or 92 for Baylor but chose to stay.

You can choose to recall things differently and focus on the bad but on some of the things related to both Dave and Bill I have some II. and there is more to it it than just the losses. Neither was perfect and yes they both ended on a down slide but they gave us some great times too; including 91 Bowl team, ranking and the 2011 championship and bowl victory. They still love the university, the football program and the young men they coached. I doubt Dave enjoys Haisten dragging this out any more than we do.

If you look at some of those losing seasons, we start out with solid wins Iowa, Oklahoma, etc… only to have a depleted roster as season progressed. Injuries impacted us because our quality of depth was limited by things beyond solely Dave’s control. He could have left in either 91 or 92 for Baylor but chose to stay.

You can choose to recall things differently and focus on the bad but on some of the things related to both Dave and Bill I have some II. and there is more to it it than just the losses. Neither was perfect and yes they both ended on a down slide but they gave us some great times too; including 91 Bowl team, ranking and the 2011 championship and bowl victory. They still love the university, the football program and the young men they coached. I doubt Dave enjoys Haisten dragging this out any more than we do.
That’s what I was thinking , Dave probably had no idea this was being put out there

Reactions: rusty-c and TU1NNJ
Haisten always wants to bring out the worst. Those were 8 terrible years. I didn’t need to be reminded. He needs to remember the nation’s leading offense years of Malzahn but he won’t go there.

Yup. Not a great coach. His claim to Tulsa fame is his 1991 team is the highest ranked Tulsa team in the final AP poll in the last 70 plus years.
And he should have taken the Baylor job that year instead of staying at TU.

Robert Donaldson was the worst president at TU when it comes to athletics.

Who knows what Dave Radar could have built at Tulsa?

Donaldson, who may have been involved with a certain Russian lady, opened a branch office in Zelenograd, Russia a suburb of Moscow.

Really!!!!

Come on man!!!!

GO TU!!!!

Last edited:

I think there is the possibility that Rader was a good football coach who brought in really really good football players to play at TU while Donaldson was trying to basically eliminate, or at least get TU to drop their D1 commitment level to athletics. Rader also did it at a time when TU was still an independent in football, which we all know was/is extremely hard for all schools not named Notre Dame (and even ND has almost eliminated themselves from being a true independent in football). Did those factors work against Rader? Sure, but he openly bitched about it and didn't really try to do anything about it.

But we can also agree with you that he's a terrible politician and some of the things he's said as a legislator and the stances he's taken on some issues would lead you to believe he is a closeted racist.

And he should have taken the Baylor job that year instead of staying at TU.
No one ever should have gone anywhere near Waco, TX back then. Briles had the luxury of a new university president and new AD when he came on board and was basically given free reign at Baylor...we see how that worked out. Baylor was a disaster of a job after Teaff retired. Facilities were awful and no one went to games. When I got there in '98 I think they might have been on their 3rd coach since that time and Dave Roberts was awful. Baylor maybe won 1 game that year. He's fired at the end of that season and they hire Kevin Steele from Carolina Panthers. I liked Steele...good guy, knew football. Wins 9 games in 4 seasons. The place was an absolute dumpster for football.

Rader was smart for not taking that job at that time. It'd be like trying to follow up at OU after Switzer left, or at Nebraska after Osborne was done. Teaff was a freaking legend at Baylor and it didn't matter how many games the next guy won, they'd always be compared to Coach Teaff and they were never going to be able to live up to that legend. I mean Baylor folks who had been there a while would still talk about how great a guy he was and how he'd engage others on campus, etc. 7 years after he had retired.

I think there is the possibility that Rader was a good football coach who brought in really really good football players to play at TU while Donaldson was trying to basically eliminate, or at least get TU to drop their D1 commitment level to athletics. Rader also did it at a time when TU was still an independent in football, which we all know was/is extremely hard for all schools not named Notre Dame (and even ND has almost eliminated themselves from being a true independent in football). Did those factors work against Rader? Sure, but he openly bitched about it and didn't really try to do anything about it.

But we can also agree with you that he's a terrible politician and some of the things he's said as a legislator and the stances he's taken on some issues would lead you to believe he is a closeted racist.
Bla makes some very good points in that first paragraph. But in that 2nd, he goes beyond the pale. We all know which side of the political spectrum he's on, he's made it clear over the years and that's OK. But to call out someone as a "closet racist" is more than I can bare. Disregard being elected twice to the St. Senate and the probable thousands of black voters who voted for him, how about asking the 100 or so black TU football players he coached over the years if he was rascist? How many of those left the team because their coach was "rascist"? Ron Jackson, the RB who destroyed Marshall Faulk and SD St. in the Freedom Bowl posts on here sometimes. Perhaps one day he'll give his opinion if his coach was "rascist".

Bla makes some very good points in that first paragraph. But in that 2nd, he goes beyond the pale. We all know which side of the political spectrum he's on, he's made it clear over the years and that's OK. But to call out someone as a "closet racist" is more than I can bare. Disregard being elected twice to the St. Senate and the probable thousands of black voters who voted for him, how about asking the 100 or so black TU football players he coached over the years if he was rascist? How many of those left the team because their coach was "rascist"? Ron Jackson, the RB who destroyed Marshall Faulk and SD St. in the Freedom Bowl posts on here sometimes. Perhaps one day he'll give his opinion if his coach was "rascist".
1st, Rader's senate district is a large majority white. My comments about him being a closet racist are rooted in actual things he said and policy stances. As a matter of fact, if I am recalling things correctly, after he made some of these comments, a couple of former players came out and expressed their disappointment. The same thing happened with Tommy Tuberville and some of the insane things he has said as a US Senator and many of his former players have come out denouncing him and even one came out and said if he knew the things he knows now back when he played for him, he would have left (I think it was Auburn specifically).

I was a student at TU when Rader was there (I came to TU in the Fall of '92 and excitement for TU football was at an extreme high). I liked Rader, I liked his assistant coaches, and I liked a lot of his players (I was roommates and suitemates with several). I do not like Rader the politician and like many older politicians (on both sides) their plain speak borders on the offensive vs the "folksy" they think it is. I will try to find the quotes and post them.

Here's one: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/david-rader-asian-american-slur-yellow-1247003/

And some more:

Tulsa Republican Sen. Dave Rader is drawing backlash for comments he made during an interim study on inequality and racial discrimination at the Capitol on Wednesday.

"It wasn't until well into your presentation did you go to yellow families. You left yellow families out for quite a while," Rader told witness Damion Shade, an analyst with the Oklahoma Policy Institute.

"You mean Asian Americans?" Shade replied.

"You know, you use the Black term, white term, brown term, so I was just going to jump in there with you," Rader said.

"I was just making sure I understood," Shade said.

"Asian distraction," Rader said.

Oklahoma City Democratic Rep. Cyndi Munson responded on Twitter, writing, "I’m Asian American, not yellow. The language used by the Senator is highly offensive and unacceptable. For my fellow colleagues to be so unaware of the words they use & how they might harm people is exactly why we need open & honest dialogue on racism."

Rader also raised eyebrows during the same study with comments about Black poverty that appeared to suggest "big government" and families that aren't "intact" for disparities.

"Shocking to think someone who made a living on the backs of black athletes has such an archaic and narrow perspective of the communities from which they come from," Rep. Monroe Nichols (D-Tulsa), who is Black, tweeted about Rader, who coached football at the University of Tulsa and other universities prior to entering politics.

In response to a request for comment, Rader did not apologize or directly address the specific remarks or criticisms of his language.

“I’ve spent my entire life as a football coach and educator, fostering opportunities for individuals of every race and background. As a legislator, I have continued this important work because I believe each and every person in our state and our country should have an opportunity to pursue the American Dream. As I’ve done throughout my career, I am committed to eliminating barriers that might make the pursuit of that dream more difficult," Rader said.

(Story from KWGS Public Radio site)

Hey the point is basic. Haisten sucks. We have moved way beyond folksy, good ole Dave Rader. He focuses more on high school athletics than college. It is ridiculous. He worships John Philips and will write articles acting as TU did him wrong.

Calling an ex TU player and coach a racist on a board available to the general public on the TU rivals site just doesn’t feel right to me as an alum. Not sure why we want to attack one of our own and someone who still works closely with the school.

Calling an ex TU player and coach a racist on a board available to the general public on the TU rivals site just doesn’t feel right to me as an alum. Not sure why we want to attack one of our own and someone who still works closely with the school.
He shouldn't get a free pass because of those ties.

He shouldn't get a free pass because of those ties.
I’m not say he should get a free pass on anything. While his few comments which were posted reflect a very old and conservative mindset I’m not sure it warrants accusing a TU legend of being a racist. I’m willing to wager Dave Rader has put in more time and effort to try to better the lives of poor and minorities in Tulsa than most people on this board. Whether it’s being a the Board of Directors of John316 Missions or his work with Big Brothers Big Sisters. His work in those areas should be given every bit as much consideration as a few comments if we are to guess his feelings toward minorities. In the end he is one of us and continues to work to promote our University

Reactions: quincy101
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT