ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa World article on potential hires

Haisten got his digs in, on his estimates of what we could afford to pay. POS

His estimates were no more than 1 mil for football 🏈, and no more than 750k on basketball. Stating how he was pretty sure his estimates were spot on.

Almost nobody states up front what somebody can afford to pay in an article announcing a university firing/resignation. Thanks for your awesome coverage pooper scooper. Crawl back under your pebble my 'friend'. Tiny man in a lousy job.

Haisten got his digs in, on his estimates of what we could afford to pay. POS

His estimates were no more than 1 mil for football 🏈, and no more than 750k on basketball. Stating how he was pretty sure his estimates were spot on.

Almost nobody states up front what somebody can afford to pay in an article announcing a university firing/resignation. Thanks for your awesome coverage pooper scooper. Crawl back under your pebble my 'friend'. Tiny man in a lousy job.
Guess I worry he is correct

Reactions: dmarsh1985
Guess I worry he is correct
I don't really care if he is correct or not. He might be correct now, he might not. But no decent sports editor does that to the local school unless he wants to grind on them.

His attitude says small time a whole lot more than the university's rep. does.

He didn’t exactly wow in his first season leading a team. .500 at George Mason doesn’t really scream excitement, at least to me.
No coach in his first year with a depleted roster should be expected to do much more. At least give him one more year and see more of his recruits. You could be right. But I would give it a little more time. Coach K started slowly. .

No coach in his first year with a depleted roster should be expected to do much more. At least give him one more year and see more of his recruits. You could be right. But I would give it a little more time. Coach K started slowly. .
I agree, completely, but given where we are at the moment, I don’t think we can risk hiring him this go round. Unfortunately.

Reactions: dmarsh1985 and I.I.
I’m not sure if Thompson has the resume for a high school job. What would be the value in hiring him? We need Paul Pressley. He’d be great. Has a ton of experience too. I’d take him over some high school AAU blowhard like Thompson every day. I wouldn’t mind Norm Roberts or Scott Sutton either.
I like Paul Mills. He knows the area already and he has improved Oral Roberts each year. Might be a young Bill Self
Paul Mills has been bad. I don’t think they have more than one area kid on their roster.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I am sure the university already has their coach in mind and have the last couple weeks just as I am sure the resignation by haith was in the works for a while now.
Yeah, I hope they started a list a month ago and started putting out feelers to some top choices at least a week or two ago.

And I'll say that I think it was a classy move for Haith to resign. The university may have told him to resign or be fired, but resigning and forfeiting any $ amount left on your contract buyout was still the classy thing to do. They may have given him a reduced severance anyways as a consolation, but I am sure he left money on the table.

So thank you, Frank, for doing the right thing for the school to help it move on as your last official act. I wish it had worked out. But it says a lot that you didn't go out kicking and screaming and suing the University like Wojcik at College of Charleston.

Paul Mills has been bad. I don’t think they have more than one area kid on their roster.
He has improved Oral Roberts every single year. He is proven to be a good coach. Being in a bigger conference could also help him in the recruiting trail. We need someone who has proven their mettle in the college ranks and he has. Paul has been a long time assistant in the NBA but hasn’t been with a team since 2016. Unless Paul really wants to be a college coach I do not see him as a viable option as he hasn’t coached and hasn’t really been in the area in years.

just because Mills doesn’t have a flooded roster from Tulsa county doesn’t mean he doesn’t know the area. Maybe the top recruits in Oklahoma or inthe Tulsa area are getting better offers than ORU. He has proven to be a winner and that is what we need. A winner. I am all about getting Rod Thompson in as an assistant but that was tried before and he said no.

Shea and Kwanza played at Tulsa. Shea is from Tulsa and Kwanza is from Oklahoma City. So how did that help recruiting? Every single person on here says that our recruiting was bad. Who do you think is out here recruiting? Assistant coaches do a ton of the recruiting. They also do the scouting of the teams we are playing just in case the head coach is ejected they have a coach that is ready with a game plan.

I stand firm that Paul Mills should be in the top 5 and Paul and Rod are not viable choices.

Yeah, I hope they started a list a month ago and started putting out feelers to some top choices at least a week or two ago.

And I'll say that I think it was a classy move for Haith to resign. The university may have told him to resign or be fired, but resigning and forfeiting any $ amount left on your contract buyout was still the classy thing to do. They may have given him a reduced severance anyways as a consolation, but I am sure he left money on the table.

So thank you, Frank, for doing the right thing for the school to help it move on as your last official act. I wish it had worked out. But it says a lot that you didn't go out kicking and screaming and suing the University like Wojcik at College of Charleston.
I agree. He is a classy guy. I hold no ill well against him. This also gives him a good look going into other job spots. I wish him luck and I really wished it would have worked out.

I suspect it was a resignation to make all feel good but that all the required current and future compensation was delivered.

I suspect it was a resignation to make all feel good but that all the required current and future compensation was delivered.
Really? I wouldn't be surprised if they offered him something pretty decent to resign instead of being fired, but offering him 100% of what he would otherwise be owed would be... surprising. Unless it is maybe a reduced monthly check for an extended period of time to ease the near term burden on the university? That could still be a win-win.

Anyway, I will defer to your vastly superior knowledge of the situation.

Edit: Whatever happened, I am still glad they managed to work something out between them rather than have it be an ugly separation. Says something about both sides, I think.

Last edited:

Are you sure it was a resignation? Isn't every firing a resignation these days?

Steve Lavin? I can't remember the circumstances around him getting fired at St. John's, but they were a team that was largely underwhelming since Lou Carnesecca retired. Leaving took them to 2 NCAAs and 2 NITs in 5 seasons. (1 coaching season was lost due to his cancer diagnosis and treatment). He only had 1 losing season which was his last at UCLA.

It's an out of the box thought. Not even sure he really wants to coach again.

In my opinion, the next TU Basketball coach should be young (around 40); a basketball lifer who played and was not necessarily a star in college. Someone who is now an assistant or maybe even a head coach at a smaller level college. Someone who has been successful and is hungry to take over a program like Tulsa. The candidate needs to have an outgoing personality. I would prefer that my perfect candidate does not have ties to Tulsa, OU, OSU, Arkansas, ORU.

I do not think any of the Tulsa World's "candidates" fit my criteria. My candidate sounds like a young Nolan Richardson in 1980.

Our former players like Mike Anderson and Paul Pressey are over 60 years old. Just because Assistants are at OU and OSU does not make them worthy of being a head coach at Tulsa.

In terms of the money paid maybe the contract should include bonuses based on attendance. In that regard, the coach would be invested to actually going into the community to talk to the fan base. Richardson and his assistants Andy Stoglin and Scott Edgar did that. They talked to the Hurricane Club at a weekly luncheon on campus. I attended many of those lunches. Also, Richardson and the assistants spoke at Civic Clubs like Rotary, Kiwanis and Sertoma. I was at a number of those events also.

The new coach needs to have enthusiasm for having the job and energy to build the fan base.

I am irritated about the dollar figures being thrown around by the Tulsa World. They have a lot of nerve in pointing out TU's financial situation particularly with the many cut backs of the morning paper. If the paper gets any slimmer they will probably start publishing 4 days a week.

Feel free to breakdown my criteria. Agree or disagree.

In my opinion, the next TU Basketball coach should be young (around 40); a basketball lifer who played and was not necessarily a star in college. Someone who is now an assistant or maybe even a head coach at a smaller level college. Someone who has been successful and is hungry to take over a program like Tulsa. The candidate needs to have an outgoing personality. I would prefer that my perfect candidate does not have ties to Tulsa, OU, OSU, Arkansas, ORU.

I do not think any of the Tulsa World's "candidates" fit my criteria. My candidate sounds like a young Nolan Richardson in 1980.

Our former players like Mike Anderson and Paul Pressey are over 60 years old. Just because Assistants are at OU and OSU does not make them worthy of being a head coach at Tulsa.

In terms of the money paid maybe the contract should include bonuses based on attendance. In that regard, the coach would be invested to actually going into the community to talk to the fan base. Richardson and his assistants Andy Stoglin and Scott Edgar did that. They talked to the Hurricane Club at a weekly luncheon on campus. I attended many of those lunches. Also, Richardson and the assistants spoke at Civic Clubs like Rotary, Kiwanis and Sertoma. I was at a number of those events also.

The new coach needs to have enthusiasm for having the job and energy to build the fan base.

I am irritated about the dollar figures being thrown around by the Tulsa World. They have a lot of nerve in pointing out TU's financial situation particularly with the many cut backs of the morning paper. If the paper gets any slimmer they will probably start publishing 4 days a week.

Feel free to breakdown my criteria. Agree or disagree.
Good points. I think many have mentioned Jai Lucas from Kentucky, Crutchfield from Oregon. I've mentioned Eric Henderson from So Dakota St. quite a few times and his season is over now. I've also mentioned Brett Ballard, who was an assistant with Danny Manning here and is now the HC at Washburn and has been pretty successful there. David Patrick would also be a good choice.

On the community engagement aspect...Tubby Smith was a lot like Nolan was. I don't know if he was as involved in the community but he certainly engaged fans and students. Steve Robinson was aloof. Having met him a couple of times, it was pretty clear he was an introvert by nature.

We need another Nolan or Tubby. That engagement part of the job is nearly as important as the coaching and recruiting aspect. It's a circle...an excited fan base creates atmosphere which is what players want to be a part of which helps recruiting and better player make a better product which makes the coaching and recruiting parts easier which helps maintain and make the atmosphere even better (see Bill Self's teams 1998-2000).

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Kyle Keller from Stephen F. Austin might be a good choice. Also, Rob Lanier from Georgia st. looked pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT