ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa TV AAC telecasts rank 4 of the top 8

Tulsa Guy

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Aug 11, 2018
I hope I have done this correctly and did not make mistakes. Data from Sports Media Watch. Many AAC games were on CBSSN and ESPNU which were not rated. These are for AAC conference games only. Data was available for 13 games. Two of the rated games were on ABC and the rest were on ESPN and ESPN2.

The highest #1 rating was the AAC Championship game with a 3.321M viewership. (ABC)
The second highest #2 rating was USF/Houston game with a 2.035M viewership. This game was a reverse mirror telecast and I don't know how this affects the numbers. (ABC)
The third highest #3 rating was UCF/USF with a 1.741M viewership.
The fourth highest #4 rating was Temple/UCF with a 1.191M viewership.
The fifth highest #5 rating was Tulsa/USF with a 1.17 viewership.
The sixth highest #6 rating was Memphis/Tulane with a 738K viewership.
The seventh highest #7 rating was Tulsa/Temple with a 728K viewership.
The eighth highest #8 rating was Memphis/SMU with a 623K viewership.
The ninth highest #9 rating was Tulsa/Houston with a 562K viewership.
TV viewership for the remaining four AAC games was Navy/UCF, 385K; Tulane/Houston, 378K; UCF/UConn, 444K, and UCF/ECU, 486K.

Tulsa football may be struggling on the field but Tulsa is certainly doing its part to boost the AAC TV contract turning in some very good numbers for TV viewership. There is some controversy on the AAC message board about Tulsa's carrying its weight for the AAC conference. Well, here's your answer. Tulsa's TV viewership numbers are among the top in AAC, with 3 of the top 8 excluding the AAC Conference Championship game on ABC. So Tulsa is more than carrying its weight within AAC.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU Guy
If I am recalling things correctly, all of those games were Thursday or Friday evenings. FWIW, Tulsa has been one of the top 10 markets each season when it comes to college football viewership. Plenty of people want to watch the games, they just don't want to leave their house to do it.

Aside from the top 2 games all the rest in at least the top 9 were aired in Thursday or Friday evenings. Helps to have zero competition from other college games and be on ESPN or ESPN2 compared to ESPNU or other lesser available channels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT