Tulsa to play in Seattle against Washington Huskies in 2023

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Media release...

TULSA, Okla. ––The University Tulsa has agreed to play a one-game series in football against the Pacific-12 Conference's Washington Huskies. The game is scheduled for September 9, 2023 at 70,138-seat Husky Stadium in Seattle, Washington.

It will be the first-ever meeting between the two schools on the gridiron.

Washington is coming off of a 10-4 season that saw the Huskies win the Pac-12 title and finish the campaign ranked 13thnationally.

Washington has been a member of the Pac-12 since the league was first formed as the Pacific Coast Conference in 1915, and then after disbanding and becoming the modern-day Pac-12 Conference in 1959.

Tulsa has faced four of the current Pac-12 members but played only Oregon when the school was a member of the league. Tulsa and Oregon faced-off in the 1989 Independence Bowl. Tulsa has also faced Arizona twice (1958, 1960), Colorado (1969) and Utah four times (1948, 1997, 1997, 2006), but it was before those schools became members of the Pac-12 Conference.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I think Juice Newton did it best when she covered Marilee Rush’s version of Angelina Jolie’s Uncles song about the one night stand...

Angel of the Morning

There'll be no strings to bind your hands
Not if my love can't bind your heart
There's no need to take a stand
For it was I who chose to start

I see no need to take me home
I'm old enough to face the dawn

Just call me angel of the morning angel
Just touch my cheek before you leave me, baby
Then slowly turn away from me

Maybe the sun's light will be dim
And it won't matter anyhow
If morning's echoes say we've sinned
Well, it was what I wanted now

And if we're victims of the night
I won't be blinded by the light

Then slowly turn away, I won't beg you to stay with me
Through the tears of the day, of the years, baby

Just touch my cheek before you leave me, darling

Just touch my cheek before you leave me, darling

It will be tough against a Petersen coached team but I like our chances better against P12 and B10 vs SEC and B12.

It will be tough against a Petersen coached team but I like our chances better against P12 and B10 vs SEC and B12.
Five seasons from now if my math is right. If given the choice between Monty & Peterson both having the same jobs, one or the other has the same job, or neither has the same job, I’d lean towards neither. Even when you’re doing well, coaching stints don’t last as long as they used to.

My infamous law school moot court trip (the one with the one eyed tailor reported here) was at that school. It’s a really nice place. Maybe Sgt. Schultz will go.

Sad thing is UW and Peterson probably would have played a home and home with us instead of the payday game. We have Boise fits in the games they played here and even a couple on the Smurf Turf were barn burners. I remember our fat drunk punter having like an 75 yard punt in one of the Friday night games we played there.

Sad thing is UW and Peterson probably would have played a home and home with us instead of the payday game. We have Boise fits in the games they played here and even a couple on the Smurf Turf were barn burners. I remember our fat drunk punter having like an 75 yard punt in one of the Friday night games we played there.
The punt was during this game. Moffitt put on a clinic that day with seven or eight quality kicks as he tried to angle it away from one of the nation’s most dangerous return men. The boomer you guys are talking about happens at 10:04 left in the third quarter.

And you are completely right. Even the early low scoring games were barnburners.

Down 20 to bagel at halftime, Kilian threw a TD to Romby Bryant and E Rich had a long run for a score in the 3rd Qtr to make it 20-14.

Later in the 4th Qtr, Boise had the ball with under a minute to go and a first down inside the TU 5 yard line. TU did not have any time outs. Boise could down the ball and walk away winners. Instead, chasing the schools first ever national ranking, which would come a few weeks later, Boise ran up the score by running the ball up the middle to make it 27-14.

Tulsa took the kickoff and scored on the first play from the 20 on a 80 yard rub route to Romby. Brad DeVault missed the extra point making it 27-20.

We lined up for the onside kick and a chance to take the ball into the end zone and tie or win a game that should have been over, but Boise recovered.

At the weekly booster luncheon the following week, a fan asked Coach Dan Hawkins if he understood in that situation if scoring could have given TU a chance to win the game and whether it was better to just take a knee. His reply was classic college football mania:

"Yeah, it would have been. But Gandhi didn't take a knee, Martin Luther King didn't take a knee, Thomas Edisondidn't take a knee, and I sure as hell am not going to take a knee."

One of the greatest games in history of the TU defense when you consider how Boise was moving the ball and scoring against similar and better competition, along with the fact that this was the first year of rebuilding Tulsa football. Austin Chadwick dominated on the Oline. Kilian out there trying to be the magician. Just a really entertaining game.

Here’s a window into how much America and college football has changed in 15 years. Hawkins made $300,000 in total compensation that year and was the highest paid state employee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Okietch51
Will we be playing as a FBS or FCS team by then?

Some of you guys on this forum are delusional. Yes, these past 2 season of Tulsa football have been poor, however, we finally have a QB and should make a bowl game next season. It makes absolutely no sense to even compare our worst teams to an FCS team.

Cort Moffit. He was a pretty good goalkeeper in high school too. Burnin' heaters, knockin' back cold ones, good quotes, and booming the :crap: outta that pigskin. Reminds me of myself, 'cept he was at least 50 lbs heavier.
According to his twitter feed, he was also a dealer for the team.

According to his twitter feed, he was also a dealer for the team.
Twitter feed claims he’s the “best keepa to ever come out of Oklahoma” too. LinkedIn profile says he has “agricultural experience” lol

Last edited:

The Summit League with ORU would probably take our Olympic Sports including basketball if we drop a level. I believe that their football playing members are in the Missouri Valley football conference. How does that sound?

Thanks for posting that video, Huffy. That's a blast from past!

Moffitt's punt looks to be what swayed the momentum in our favor in that game. Too bad we couldn't get a stop on that last drive. Cort was also our team MVP in the H-Bowl that year. Dude liked to punt on the blue turf!

Reactions: HuffyCane
What is the payout for the trip to Washington?

Probably not in the Ohio State dollar range.

Thanks in advance.

GO TU!!!

UDub is gonna give us $1.6 million plus whatever we can raise hobknobbing with TU tech alums in the Seattle area. Playing this game is maybe the only smart thing Gragg and Montgomery did besides sign that OU, OSU, Arkansas series. We should be on Stanford and Duke’s schedule.

Ohio State was $1 million and $1.3 million respectively.

We may not sell out OU given the ticket price and level of interest in that program right now. It didn’t sell out in 2014.

We may not sell out OU given the ticket price and level of interest in that program right now. It didn’t sell out in 2014.
I’m hoping for more TU fans this year due to the excitement of a new beginning. We even got one of the mini plans this year which we haven’t done in awhile given that we are still about an 8 hour drive to Tulsa.

UDub is gonna give us $1.6 million plus whatever we can raise hobknobbing with TU tech alums in the Seattle area. Playing this game is maybe the only smart thing Gragg and Montgomery did besides sign that OU, OSU, Arkansas series. We should be on Stanford and Duke’s schedule.

Ohio State was $1 million and $1.3 million respectively.

I assure you this game will sell out, one way or another.

Reactions: 918Golden
That’s pretty optimistic considering their opponent is Tulsa and their home attendance over the past several years. Predicting low 60s.
He thinks a few more TU fans outweighs the mass of OU fans malaise.

WOW $1.6 million is more than I expected.

OU game will be a sellout no question about it!!!!

GO TU!!!

The only thing that says to me we have a better than average chance of a sellout, is OU fans interest in seeing how OU matches up with their former coaches team. Wilson may be the draw that could bring a sellout.

The only thing that says to me we have a better than average chance of a sellout, is OU fans interest in seeing how OU matches up with their former coaches team. Wilson may be the draw that could bring a sellout.
OU fans in Norman have this game circled as Jackson Arnold's coming out party...

LOL. It's funny to me you people don't think OU in Tulsa is going to sellout this season. I don't have many other words for it.

LOL. It's funny to me you people don't think OU in Tulsa is going to sellout this season. I don't have many other words for it.
Ticket sales may be slow because TU is trying to sell the OU game as part of a season ticket or mini plan right now. You cannot get only tickets to the OU game through TU. I would suspect if there are unsold seats 2 weeks out TU will put out the remainder as an individual game option.

Reactions: drboobay
I was talking about the game at Washington selling out. The OU game here has a decent chance.

In 2014, OU was ranked number 4 and had beaten Alabama in the Sugar Bowl the previous year. TU was a couple of years removed from a conference championship and national ranking and opened the season with a win over Tulane. It didn’t sell out. I don’t take it as a given. Though the marketing of tickets and how we reach people has changed for the better since then. Sales may pick up after the season starts. Nobody buys single game tickets in August when it’s 108 degrees out and school supplies are on the shopping list.

In 2014, OU was ranked number 4 and had beaten Alabama in the Sugar Bowl the previous year. TU was a couple of years removed from a conference championship and national ranking and opened the season with a win over Tulane. It didn’t sell out. I don’t take it as a given. Though the marketing of tickets and how we reach people has changed for the better since then. Sales may pick up after the season starts. Nobody buys single game tickets in August when it’s 108 degrees out and school supplies are on the shopping list.
It was a monsoon that day with nonstop downpours. I imagine if it was even slightly better weather, it would have sold out.

Reactions: TUMU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT