ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa Roughnecks Reunion

Li'l Eric Coley

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
I'm sure a few of you know about this event coming up on Oct. 14, but thought I should spread the word just in case. Hanging out with Tulsa Legends, several of whom will probably never be in Tulsa again, and listening to their stories sounds a whole helluvalot better than watching TU football right now.

Not sure how ticket sales are going but there's only 400 available. So if you're planning on going, I would get your tickets now instead of waiting till the last second. Rumor has it The Shame might show up and perform an acoustic version of "Victory in 83"

I'll post this on the general board as well.

Get your tickets!

In case anyone missed it last week. Interviews with Victor, Boomer, and Charlie Mitchell. Also, The List on Ch 2 is doing a preview at some point this week, featuring a member or two from The Shame.

Reunion preview

'Neck season tix holder from '80 until the end & dang it, knew this was coming up but missed it last night. Give us a lengthy recap of events L'il--who was there, who'd you talk to, etc.. Was Barry Wallace there? Had one the hardest shots I've still ever seen. And who was that dirty sob who everyone hated until he became a 'Neck & scored both goals in the championship game? Sittler, Fitler something like that? I'll bet there was an afterparty @ Charlie Mitchell's place that went to the wee small hours.

You're thinking of Ron Futcher. Guy always played with a case of the redass. He's in the Top 10 all-time NASL career goals scored. Barry Wallace actually died a few years back from cancer.

It was really an unbelievable night and could not have gone any better. All the local guys were there of course, Charlie, Victor and Alan Woodward. Only exception was Steve Earle. Billy Caskey came in from Ireland, Winston DuBose from Tampa, Adam Krupa from St. Louis. Iraj from Dallas. Alex Skotarek was there. There were a few others who weren't on the 83 team, Kevin Eagan and Don Droege. Some guy who looked like he was 12 who was a backup keeper in 81, I don't remember his name. Novocaine can help me out if I missed anyone. I pretty much talked to all of 'em, got my pics taken with a bunch of 'em. My favorite is the one with me, Caskey, DuBose, and the Eggman Larry Egge, who was the trainer way back then.

Anyhoo, Bob Carpenter MC'ed the event and he started it out. All the guys were wearing these nice red polos with the Roughnecks logo. And when it was Victor's turn to speak, he had Barry Wallace's kid, who looks exactly like his old man, come up on the stage and put on one of the polos. Chris Lincoln was also there and he spoke as well. And one of the original owners was there too, but I can't remember his name. So basically they all traded old stories and jokes passing the microphones around. And of course the Soccer Bowl trophy was there.

By the end of the night, I needed a ride home b/c I sure as hell didn't need to be behind the wheel. I'm sure all the guys kept the night going somewhere though. They had a pretty good time the night before at White Lion, so I was glad they still have some "recovery" skills lol

Thanks for recap. Sounds like an unforgettable night. Kinda gets the juices flowing for a MLS expansion team, doesn't it LEC?

We should've already had one. Victor claims Judy MacLeod, when she was AD, basically said no because she and/or TU didn't want an MLS team playing at Skelly. The $10 million was already put up for the franchise. Now it takes almost $100 million to get an MLS team.

It would take 100 million for the franchise fees and the City of Tulsa agreeing to build a 200 million dollar soccer specific stadium, MLS will not put teams in college stadiums anymore.

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
You're thinking of Ron Futcher. Guy always played with a case of the redass. He's in the Top 10 all-time NASL career goals scored. Barry Wallace actually died a few years back from cancer.

It was really an unbelievable night and could not have gone any better. All the local guys were there of course, Charlie, Victor and Alan Woodward. Only exception was Steve Earle. Billy Caskey came in from Ireland, Winston DuBose from Tampa, Adam Krupa from St. Louis. Iraj from Dallas. Alex Skotarek was there. There were a few others who weren't on the 83 team, Kevin Eagan and Don Droege. Some guy who looked like he was 12 who was a backup keeper in 81, I don't remember his name. Novocaine can help me out if I missed anyone. I pretty much talked to all of 'em, got my pics taken with a bunch of 'em. My favorite is the one with me, Caskey, DuBose, and the Eggman Larry Egge, who was the trainer way back then.

Anyhoo, Bob Carpenter MC'ed the event and he started it out. All the guys were wearing these nice red polos with the Roughnecks logo. And when it was Victor's turn to speak, he had Barry Wallace's kid, who looks exactly like his old man, come up on the stage and put on one of the polos. Chris Lincoln was also there and he spoke as well. And one of the original owners was there too, but I can't remember his name. So basically they all traded old stories and jokes passing the microphones around. And of course the Soccer Bowl trophy was there.

By the end of the night, I needed a ride home b/c I sure as hell didn't need to be behind the wheel. I'm sure all the guys kept the night going somewhere though. They had a pretty good time the night before at White Lion, so I was glad they still have some "recovery" skills lol
Sounded fun LEC thanks for the update.

GO TU!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT