ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa picks up commitment from Haltom WR -- story linked

If I were guessing at the proper pronunciation I would say im-E-A, with the capital vowels being long/symbol of macron over them. How he says it, no idea.

Local media has pronounced it Eye-Me while covering his hs games.

More importantly, this kid knows how to win. His club made the playoffs for the first time in almost ten years. He had some stand out games against his team’s best opponents. He looks to be a baller.

Reactions: okie51
We lacked playmaking receivers this year. Hobbs was inconsistent. Stokes came along. Besides a few nice plays by Johnson, he dropped way too many passes this year. You need a receiver who can make people miss after the catch, ala Damaris, Lucas, and primarily in the Slot.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
We lacked playmaking receivers this year. Hobbs was inconsistent. Stokes came along. Besides a few nice plays by Johnson, he dropped way too many passes this year. You need a receiver who can make people miss after the catch, ala Damaris, Lucas, and primarily in the Slot.
Part of the inconsistency at WR is due to the inconsistent play at QB. The ball was frequently delivered late meaning defenders were hitting and slapping at passes before they could secure it. They're good WRs but unless they're Julio Jones or Antonio Brown, some of those catches would have had to be miraculous to fight through all of that. They could have helped themselves with sharper, crisper routes but most of the issues were two fold. I think all of our WRs can make plays and I think they can be difference makers. Holding onto Perez will be a key as well as I think he will push guys like Johnson and Stewart for playing time.

The route runnning is atrocious. Ask any NFL evaluator. There’s a reason the nations leading receiver with unbelieveable physical talents went undrafted then cut when route running didn’t improve. There’s a reason Kevan isn’t on a roster somewhere. We do our players a disservice with this continued charade.

The route runnning is atrocious. Ask any NFL evaluator. There’s a reason the nations leading receiver with unbelieveable physical talents went undrafted then cut when route running didn’t improve. There’s a reason Kevan isn’t on a roster somewhere. We do our players a disservice with this continued charade.
And why guys like Zay Jones, who is not the overall same physical specimen that a Julio Jones or AJ Green are, stick and turn into elite WRs. Zay runs some of the best, crispest routes I've seen in a long time. He was absolutely underappreciated as a WR coming out last year because he didn't play at a sexy P5, but he was the absolute best WR coming out because he was very good to excellent at all areas that define a WR.

To be fair, Kevan is 5'9" and lacks the quickness necessary to get separation from NFL corners. His shuttle and 3 cone times were among the worst at the combine for receivers. I do agree with the route running critic btw.

Ray Berry and Steve Largent will tell you that you can be the worst at everything, but if you route running is down to the inch, you will find a place.

I don’t know that Kevan has the quicks to run routes as crisp as the NFL would like at his size, proper coaching or otherwise. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t be successful though. He’s got massive hands and is as tough as any receiver out there

Last edited:
Ray Berry and Steve Largent will tell you that you can be the worst at everything, but if you route running is down to the inch, you will find a place.

True. I'm just not sure there are any 5'9" receivers playing on Sunday with anywhere near his cone and shuttle times. Unfortunately, there is very little he can do about those things. The fact that his game might not translate into NFL success doesn't take away from the fact that he was an elite college receiver.

Part of the inconsistency at WR is due to the inconsistent play at QB. The ball was frequently delivered late meaning defenders were hitting and slapping at passes before they could secure it. They're good WRs but unless they're Julio Jones or Antonio Brown, some of those catches would have had to be miraculous to fight through all of that. They could have helped themselves with sharper, crisper routes but most of the issues were two fold. I think all of our WRs can make plays and I think they can be difference makers. Holding onto Perez will be a key as well as I think he will push guys like Johnson and Stewart for playing time.

As a self professed slow white guy I agree with that to a point. However, the narrative that we like to put out about Largent being a bad athlete is not the case. His quickness and explosiveness out of his breaks is what helped his route running be so crisp. You have to have a minimum level of quickness, explosiveness, and flexibility(of which Keevan is very stiff) for your game to translate. Regardless of how precise a route runner you are IMO.

That said, we need a lot of work in that area for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT