ADVERTISEMENT

🏈 Recruiting Tulsa gains commit from 3-star OKC athlete

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Another day, another 3-star football commitment for Tulsa. On Monday, it was Crandall (TX) receiver Joshua Smith, who chose TU over offers from Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Mississippi. On Tuesday, Oklahoma City (OK) Classen athlete Elijah Green committed to the Hurricane over offers from Missouri, Texas Tech, UTSA, Navy and others.

Do we have another selfie video of the coaching staff watching Green's live stream commitment? That video from yesterday was GOLD!!!!

Reactions: Okietch51
It seems to me, and I could be wrong, it’s been awhile since we beat out an SEC school for an Oklahoma Top 10 player. Maybe since the 80’s. @Bill Lowery any idea the last time this happened?

There’s been some talk lately about some of our recruits being amongst the highest in history.

But if this kid stays with us, it will truly be described with only one word.

Impressive.

Last edited:
There’s been some talk lately about some of our recruits being amongst the highest in history.
I've noticed a lot of Twitter talk and some 247 and DMN (using 247 info) stories stating these guys are in the top 5 recruits all-time for Tulsa. While these guys are high-quality commitments, they aren't top 5 all-time. Recruit rankings only go back to 2002, and that's on Rivals, which has covered Tulsa recruiting that entire time.

247 began in 2010, and On3 started in 2021, and neither have a Tulsa site. They both basically backfilled their prospect databases to 2003 or so. It makes no sense for those publications to be touting guys as the best in TU history, as they have no point of reference. Just seems odd to me.

With that said, Huffy, I agree with you on Green. Very impressive if he signs with Tulsa in December...and from talking to him, he seems very solid with TU.

I've noticed a lot of Twitter talk and some 247 and DMN (using 247 info) stories stating these guys are in the top 5 recruits all-time for Tulsa. While these guys are high-quality commitments, they aren't top 5 all-time. Recruit rankings only go back to 2002, and that's on Rivals, which has covered Tulsa recruiting that entire time.

247 began in 2010, and On3 started in 2021, and neither have a Tulsa site. They both basically backfilled their prospect databases to 2003 or so. It makes no sense for those publications to be touting guys as the best in TU history, as they have no point of reference. Just seems odd to me.

With that said, Huffy, I agree with you on Green. Very impressive if he signs with Tulsa in December...and from talking to him, he seems very solid with TU.
If I could double like your post I would. Yes these are quality recruits, and we have started out what could be one of our better classes of all time. But it would only be ONE OF not THE BEST recruiting class of all time. I feel much more content with Wilson at the helm than I did with car and snake oil salesman Graham though.

Reactions: quincy101
I'm going to assume that if there were recruit rankings in the 1940's we wouldn't even be close to those classes right now. Of course that was a whole other era all together.

It seems to me, and I could be wrong, it’s been awhile since we beat out an SEC school for an Oklahoma Top 10 player. Maybe since the 80’s. @Bill Lowery any idea the last time this happened?

But if this kid stays with us, it will truly be described with only one word.

Impressive.
I think Chris answered your question better than I could have. I do recall a number of phone conversations with Jimmie Tramel when we signed Kevin Isham. We both agreed he was the top Oklahoma recruit Tulsa had signed up until that time. Here are a couple of stories about his recruitment. He had so many great offers but he never really produced at Tulsa.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I think Chris answered your question better than I could have. I do recall a number of phone conversations with Jimmie Tramel when we signed Kevin Isham. We both agreed he was the top Oklahoma recruit Tulsa had signed up until that time. Here are a couple of stories about his recruitment. He had so many great offers but he never really produced at Tulsa.

Totally forgot about him! Thank you!!

Reactions: Chris Harmon
247 is lame & full of it. On the other hand, pub like this, even if BS, ain't really a bad thing if potential recruits see it & it helps to put them over the top for TU and want to join what's happening here before our eyes.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
I feel much more content with Wilson at the helm than I did with car and snake oil salesman Graham though.
Wilson and his staff have quickly began a successful strategy, targeting tons of OK, TX and AR kids that are high quality players -- and most are successful in the classroom as well. Time will tell if they can continue this success, but the fast start is super encouraging. I think they know they can beat Texas Tech, OSU, Kansas and Mississippi level schools, but notice they aren't targeting too many guys that already have OU or Texas offers. They are being efficient and spending their time on the right guys.

Wilson and his staff have quickly began a successful strategy, targeting tons of OK, TX and AR kids that are high quality players -- and most are successful in the classroom as well. Time will tell if they can continue this success, but the fast start is super encouraging. I think they know they can beat Texas Tech, OSU, Kansas and Mississippi level schools, but notice they aren't targeting too many guys that already have OU or Texas offers. They are being efficient and spending their time on the right guys.
They're actually not afraid of a fight. Monty never seemed to want to go toe to toe with any P5 schools for kids. I mean, he let Ricky Stromberg basically walk as it didn't appear that he really tried to keep him in the mix here after Arkansas offered. Yes, it would have been tough but I feel like Wilson would have lectured him about a man's word and what it means especially down the line...

Reactions: Henry Kendall
They're actually not afraid of a fight. Monty never seemed to want to go toe to toe with any P5 schools for kids. I mean, he let Ricky Stromberg basically walk as it didn't appear that he really tried to keep him in the mix here after Arkansas offered. Yes, it would have been tough but I feel like Wilson would have lectured him about a man's word and what it means especially down the line...
And the fact that Monty didn’t recruit either Presley brother harder than he did speaks volume.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT