ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa Defense better?

Just_Will95

I.T.S. Freshman
Oct 24, 2016
Has our defense took a hit with the lost of Linscott, Martin, nd Brady? Have we improved with length and speed? Can Bunch, Cooper, nd Whitfield fill those voids without skipping a beat?

In the most recent presser, Coach said that the defense will be doing some different things because of the personnel changing at the STAR and interior line positions. There is more athleticism at those positions and that will free up other players (I am assuming the linebackers) to have a bigger impact. He stated that the defense improved in 17 of 19 categories last year over the previous year and he expects, based on what he has seen through spring and the first week, that those numbers will continue to improve. I think we had too overachievers in the interior of the line last year that could play two gap effectively and that freed up Linscott and the LBs to make plays that other defensive teams would be unable to execute. Whether Shindelar and the newcomers can be just as effective will be the question. It doesnt matter how much better the players are in the secondary compared to previous talent, if the opposition is slashing through the line for 8 yards a run. We will know in the first three games whether the defense will be significantly better.

Ok, blue and gold glasses alert! I expect the defense to improve each year but I can't by any stretch of the imagination think this would be the best D in the league.

Reactions: astonmartin708
My thought is that this will be the most athletic defense that Tulsa has put on the field in the last 5 years that I have watched them play. The real question in my mind is how quickly the young guys that will be starting for the first time mature over the first 3 or 4 games. If we stay healthy and the young guys come along quickly we could have a top tier defense in the conference.

My thought is that this will be the most athletic defense that Tulsa has put on the field in the last 5 years that I have watched them play. The real question in my mind is how quickly the young guys that will be starting for the first time mature over the first 3 or 4 games. If we stay healthy and the young guys come along quickly we could have a top tier defense in the conference.
I just want to thank you mshindelar. You don't know how much we appreciate your insights. Having a father who knows football, and has more access to practices than we have is always such a great asset to this site.

I totally agree I watched the 1st practice and the overall speed of the defense was ridiculous!! I also watched film on Wednesday's scrimmage and man we should be excited..

Is petra wilson in the mix?
He's the featured speed rusher lined up at an end position or can be the equivalent of a linebacker when he drops into coverage from the weak side. It depends on situation. In general terminology he plays the LEO position. But yes, he is more than in the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT