ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa Band Day

For rehearsing & performing at the game, being advertised to, and $20, they get lunch and a football ticket. Seems like they are thanking the students at a TU discount. TU is getting a good deal, the students, maybe not so much. They should have found funding for the event, not taken it off the backs of the students.

For rehearsing & performing at the game, being advertised to, and $20, they get lunch and a football ticket. Seems like they are thanking the students at a TU discount. TU is getting a good deal, the students, maybe not so much. They should have found funding for the event, not taken it off the backs of the students.
This is being advertised to local high school bands. Those kids pay a TON more than that for those bands. 20 dollars for a meal + a game ticket that's probably $15 face value anyway, plus doing some different marching seems like a fair deal to me. I'm guessing some bands like BA or Union might do it as entire entities and they'll probably get an overall deal.

It's an advertising tool but it's also a revenue tool. Tickets that wouldn't have been sold for the ULaLa game will now be sold.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
This is being advertised to local high school bands. Those kids pay a TON more than that for those bands. 20 dollars for a meal + a game ticket that's probably $15 face value anyway, plus doing some different marching seems like a fair deal to me. I'm guessing some bands like BA or Union might do it as entire entities and they'll probably get an overall deal.

It's an advertising tool but it's also a revenue tool. Tickets that wouldn't have been sold for the ULaLa game will now be sold.
Wonder if the band will be in Stillwater

Maybe so, I just thought the entertainment they provide & the advertisement they take in, would be worth more than paying face value for the ticket and also paying $5 for a lunch that might have cost them $10 bucks at the outside.

The competitive high school bands practice on Saturdays in September to get ready for the competition season. Saturday is generally the day that they have their choreographers on site, many of which travel in from out of state. Unfortunately, I doubt that they would give up previously scheduled rehearsal time for the game.

TPS students may be available though.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Yeah, ask any band parent. The idea of your kid leaving your house for an afternoon on a weekend for $20 is an effing bargain.

But most of the parents won't get off that easy: This is all about selling tickets for the first half and the halftime performance to band parents, their spouses, other children, etc. It will move the gate probably 100 to 300 tickets minimum over and above the number of kids that attend and the band gets to a recruit a player or two. Its a pretty common thing for the lower tiered bowls down here in Florida.

Reactions: astonmartin708
The competitive high school bands practice on Saturdays in September to get ready for the competition season. Saturday is generally the day that they have their choreographers on site, many of which travel in from out of state. Unfortunately, I doubt that they would give up previously scheduled rehearsal time for the game.

TPS students may be available though.
After I saw the date, I thought exactly that. They kind of picked a sucky time for the event. I wonder if they even talked to BA, Union, or Owasso.

Yeah, ask any band parent. The idea of your kid leaving your house for an afternoon on a weekend for $20 is an effing bargain.

But most of the parents won't get off that easy: This is all about selling tickets for the first half and the halftime performance to band parents, their spouses, other children, etc. It will move the gate probably 100 to 300 tickets minimum over and above the number of kids that attend and the band gets to a recruit a player or two. Its a pretty common thing for the lower tiered bowls down here in Florida.
I was thinking that very same thing. Tickets for the band parents is where TU should have made money, not off the kids participating.

After I saw the date, I thought exactly that. They kind of picked a sucky time for the event. I wonder if they even talked to BA, Union, or Owasso.

I'm sure those schools have been made aware of it, but I doubt anything gets mentioned to the kids.

Last year, only about 15-20 HS students participated in Band Day. Hopefully there will be more this time.

I'm sure those schools have been made aware of it, but I doubt anything gets mentioned to the kids.

Last year, only about 15-20 HS students participated in Band Day. Hopefully there will be more this time.
There was a band day last year? Also, the marketing department should take 2 days a week for the next two weeks and make rounds to the biggest band schools to push the event

There was a band day last year? Also, the marketing department should take 2 days a week for the next two weeks and make rounds to the biggest band schools to push the event
This is the third year in a row that I know of that they've had it. It may have been going on even longer.

Yes, it was the San Jose game but only a handful of kids showed up.

The big schools aren't going to give up a rehearsal day, especially if they have high priced choreographers coming in for the day.

I've performed at TU basketball halftime and we had to pay for tickets. Same with Thunder. No one ever fed us though.

Unless you are professional performance act, that's par for the course.

The band has unofficially been doing this for a while (at least over the past 12 years back when I started in 2005), but they've just began broadly advertising it.

I think it's a fantastic idea as the band adds a lot to the game day atmosphere. I know they are sitting at 115 members this year, but I'd really like to see that grow closer to 200.

I will also add that I think the new director is doing a great job of breathing some new life into the program. Plus the new drum covers look pretty dang cool.

The band has unofficially been doing this for a while (at least over the past 12 years back when I started in 2005), but they've just began broadly advertising it.

I think it's a fantastic idea as the band adds a lot to the game day atmosphere. I know they are sitting at 115 members this year, but I'd really like to see that grow closer to 200.

I will also add that I think the new director is doing a great job of breathing some new life into the program. Plus the new drum covers look pretty dang cool.
They need to make it a BIG deal.

The university will need to provide substantially more funding for scholarships to students that participate in the band if they ever wish to get numbers in the 200 range. I think the music department staff has done an exceptional job recruiting kids into the program with the limited financial resources available. If memory serves me, the most kids in the band over the last 25 years was in the neighborhood of 130.

Band kids are generally come from middle class families, have the work ethic and intelligence to be successful at the University of Tulsa, but generally the combined aid package offered doesn't allow for TU to be a viable option for most of these students. Of course there are always exceptions, and some specials scholarships available but those are limited. We're not one of the big universities where the athletic department provides the bulk of financial support for athletic bands.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
The university will need to provide substantially more funding for scholarships to students that participate in the band if they ever wish to get numbers in the 200 range. I think the music department staff has done an exceptional job recruiting kids into the program with the limited financial resources available. If memory serves me, the most kids in the band over the last 25 years was in the neighborhood of 130.

Band kids are generally come from middle class families, have the work ethic and intelligence to be successful at the University of Tulsa, but generally the combined aid package offered doesn't allow for TU to be a viable option for most of these students. Of course there are always exceptions, and some specials scholarships available but those are limited. We're not one of the big universities where the athletic department provides the bulk of financial support for athletic bands.

That's pretty accurate. I believe in the 05-09 era we had close to 140-150, but I don't recall the exact number.

As to your assertion regarding financial aid. Most students at TU (excluding international) receive a hefty amount of financial aid. Personally, i received both an academic and music scholarship even though I wasn't a music major (my music scholarship alone accounted for over 25% of my annual tuition). Of course I have student loans, but the music scholarships are available and if a kid is willing to do their part, they very well could be awarded a $10k/year scholarship like I was. So couple that with academic scholarships (which most kids accepted to TU are eligible for) and you've got a good chunk of tuition paid for.

I completely agree with your point about athletic department subsidies for athletic bands... I know that the athletic department did a few things for us, but the bulk came from the school of music and the college of arts and science. If we got any new stuff it was typically because a donor wrote a check for it (i.e. The uniforms before the new ones we got last year, new tubas, and various trips to away games).

I truly enjoyed every minute of my time in the band. In fact the band and my fraternity (PiKA) are what made TU such a great experience.

So, if a kid is interested in band at TU, they will have a place and there's a good chance they'll get a decent award for their time along with their other awards.

I've performed at TU basketball halftime and we had to pay for tickets. Same with Thunder. No one ever fed us though.

Unless you are professional performance act, that's par for the course.
Kids who are the ball boys for the Roughnecks pay about $30 which includes game ticket and I think some food.

Before the AAC money came along, the budget for TU's football team wasn't much larger than FSU's Marching Chiefs band. (329 members). 110 to 150 is a healthy number for who we are and what we do. If donor wants to endow those extra 50 schollys, that's cool, but you are talking an extra $700K to $1million, minimum, a year for six halftime performances and some pep rallies. I'd rather endow football scholarships or upgrade lower level assistant salaries.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
I was kind of speaking in a perfect world scenario. I know that 200 isn't really feasible right now, but it sure would be nice.

Yes cheer and dance get the shaft at $1000 per semester each (or at least that's what it was when I was there).

If we had the money for 200 band scholarships, that would mean TU was doing prettt well in the athletic budget department and we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Why not HOST a band competition invite the big-school winner to perform at halftime and the small school winner to perform pregame. Maybe invite all the bands to perform the national anthem. I can remember being in Fayetteville for a band day game and it was AMAZING!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT