ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane post game reaction

dmarsh1985

I.T.S. Senior
Oct 30, 2008
I had this marked down as an L, for too many years this is the type of game we would lose. I thank wojick for that, but this year and these men are different. Congrats to them on getting a W, playing in a place with little fan support can be just as tough as huge crowds, because your energy level has to be high, motivation does not seem to be an issue with this team. Great job by coaches and players, now rest up and get ready for USF and a big home crowd on Saturday

I would give the game ball to Wright and Swannegan tonight. The 4-4 free throws and several blocks by Brandon were crucial and Wright was our first half.

I love the swap Shaq and James did on one of the last inbound plays. Shaq takes it first and throws it to James on the other side of the basket out of bounds. They swap positions out of bounds and Shaq enters the court opposite of James and is open. James throws it to him and Shaq races down court and gets fouled near half court. Tulane players are trying to figure what just happened as they chase Shaq. Smart play and good coaching guys.

Agree about holding onto the big lead, because then the younger guys can get minutes! Really would like to see a younger guys come on here late in the season, an outside threat maybe? In any case, the guys have yet to step on throats with 5 minutes left to create enough breathing space to play the bench.

On another note, coach is giving Repi chances to be a part. He hasn't come through yet. My guess is that he is still giving his all in practice and earning a look. Surprises me only because I thought littlejohn would see Stevie's minutes and that hasn't been the cas. Good for Repi and coach Haith, if the guys is coming to practice everyday and showing you something, gotta give him a shot, if it doesn't work out, at least it was fair

Originally posted by dave944:
I love the swap Shaq and James did on one of the last inbound plays. Shaq takes it first and throws it to James on the other side of the basket out of bounds. They swap positions out of bounds and Shaq enters the court opposite of James and is open. James throws it to him and Shaq races down court and gets fouled near half court. Tulane players are trying to figure what just happened as they chase Shaq. Smart play and good coaching guys.
I'm surprised we don't see this more often!

Swannegan was my player of the game. Just played well on both ends of the court and I am no longer holding my breath when he goes to the line.

Dre got shafted on his 5th foul. Principle of verticality refs. Straight up and he was clearly in the space first. First charge on Shaq may have been the absolute worst call I have seen in college basketball in 5 yrs.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I think this was Wright's best game of the year. Swannegan played well and Ray really came up big. Having said all that I think someone is spoiling us when we all agree they had a bad game and still ended up with 16 points and 7 boards.

Originally posted by dmarsh1985:
I had this marked down as an L, for too many years this is the type of game we would lose. I thank wojick for that, but this year and these men are different. Congrats to them on getting a W, playing in a place with little fan support can be just as tough as huge crowds, because your energy level has to be high, motivation does not seem to be an issue with this team. Great job by coaches and players, now rest up and get ready for USF and a big home crowd on Saturday
Yes, great thoughts.

IMO this is the best coaching staff we have seen since Self, Gillispie, and Roberts. You cannot underscore the value of having 27 years of head coaching experience from your assistant coaches, only two schools have more experience, Iowa (33 yrs) and the other escapes me. The leadership on the bench makes a ton of difference navigating rough waters.

TX

Agree on coaching
We need to be on our feet cheering
when Haith walks on the court Sat
He deserves it
He took a huge chance that our talent
was strong enough to compete in the AAC
Manning didn't have the FAITH

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:

Originally posted by dave944:
I'm surprised we don't see this more often!
I thought the in bounds pass back to Shaq, which had to go back under the basket and across the lane, was a trifle dangerous.

4tu2, this has to be a play that Haith has drawn up and said to use if the in-bounds play doesn't work originally. Defender guarding the in-bounder reacts to the initial pass not realizing its still OB. The in-bounder typically is the 2nd in the trap and moves to get in position leaving the original in-bounder open. The defender also has to be careful to not reach over the baseline and try to tip the ball as that is a T. Sometimes teams pass the ball behind the baseline to draw a defender to do that...although you rarely see the call. If its not something called from the bench during a timeout, then it was something they practiced to shift the focus of the defense.

Originally posted by mcane:
Agree on coaching
He deserves it
Good Idae!
Let's show our FAITH 'N Haith
He deserves a standing "O"
when he walks out on the court this Sat.

Go TU

Originally posted by HHOOTter:
Agree on coaching
He deserves it
Good Idae!

Go TUHooter, if I were you I'd trademark the Faith in Haith phrase because if anyone in TU's marketing department is reading through this thread you just gave them their next T-shirt. So much better than the "UCONN't but HurriCANe" #SMH

Edogi too - 4 points and 5 rebounds and at least 1 block in 12 minutes. Getting quality second team minutes is huge and he and Swannegan came through last night (Ray too but he's not really second team). Haith invested in these guys earlier and now are getting some dividends, by late Feb that investment will be huge.

Originally posted by chito_and_leon:
Edogi too - 4 points and 5 rebounds and at least 1 block in 12 minutes. Getting quality second team minutes is huge and he and Swannegan came through last night (Ray too but he's not really second team). Haith invested in these guys earlier and now are getting some dividends, by late Feb that investment will be huge.

Our two most improved players right now just may be Swannegan and Edogi. They are contributing and at the moment, if we get Wright or Smith in foul trouble, we don't lose all that much. It also means that Wright and Smith have to work harder to keep their game minutes. IMO Wright is beginning to develope better because he's got Swannegan and Edogi nipping at his behind. Thats a good thing for Wright. Its also what we need to get to the next level - a tough, productive, consisitent inside game.

Originally posted by aTUfan:

We need to leard haw to hold onto a big lead late.
I would hate to be a Tulane fan, when Tulsa took the big lead late in the second half, Tulane's coach let his kids play in rhythm and they started knocking down threes. Tulane's offense was stifled by ball control, running clock, etc.

Reminds me of seven years of frustration at Tulsa.

Ray needs the ball late against pressure.

Good win not a great win. Sagarin was around 83 which slightly above our season average.

Love the five road wins in the AAC.

UCF
Temple
USF
ECU
Tulane

GO TU!!!!

Geo, I think Tulane's game plan last night was by design. Taking the air out of the ball also kept us from getting out on the break and in transition as much as we would like to. That style of offense is not conducive to coming back from a deficit but it also accomplished its initial goal of not allowing us to run off 1o pts in 2 minutes. The last 5 minutes of game were simply desperation on Tulane's part and hoping they could knock down a few shots knowing we would try to take the air out of the ball and run the game clock down.

BTW, that is the only thing I disagree with Haith on. We are built on up tempo transition basketball and we excel in that style. Taking the air out with 5 minutes left is really not the way we should be doing things...we simply don't have the consistent shooters to take the clock down to 7 seconds and be reasonably certain we are going to hit a 15+ ft shot. Several times we had open lanes to the basket early in the shot clock down the stretch and our guys were dribbling back out. 2pts is always better than no pts but 30 seconds gone IMO. I can see both sides, but I feel like we are simply better in attack mode.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
Agree on coaching
He deserves it
Good Idae!

Go TUHooter, if I were you I'd trademark the Faith in Haith phrase because if anyone in TU's marketing department is reading through this thread you just gave them their next T-shirt. So much better than the "UCONN't but HurriCANe" #SMH
It would B "Kool" 2 print & sell those shirts w/ profits
& donations going to the Brain Aneurysm Foundation
in honor of Coach Haith's sister, Laura.

I love this idea.

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
I love this idea.
I'd buy 4.

Geo, I think Tulane's game plan last night was by design. Taking the air out of the ball also kept us from getting out on the break and in transition as much as we would like to. That style of offense is not conducive to coming back from a deficit but it also accomplished its initial goal of not allowing us to run off 1o pts in 2 minutes. The last 5 minutes of game were simply desperation on Tulane's part and hoping they could knock down a few shots knowing we would try to take the air out of the ball and run the game clock down.

BTW, that is the only thing I disagree with Haith on. We are built on up tempo transition basketball and we excel in that style. Taking the air out with 5 minutes left is really not the way we should be doing things...we simply don't have the consistent shooters to take the clock down to 7 seconds and be reasonably certain we are going to hit a 15+ ft shot. Several times we had open lanes to the basket early in the shot clock down the stretch and our guys were dribbling back out. 2pts is always better than no pts but 30 seconds gone IMO. I can see both sides, but I feel like we are simply better in attack mode.
AGREE!

I understand the excitement of seeing Wright get some scores. But I do not believe he had such a wonderful game. He was slow on defense and that is why he got many of the fouls called. He went for shot fakes that left him out of position and made thier freshman center look really good. His offense was nice but can not have the fouling and the defenses lapses. His rebounding was not very impressive.

Agree on coaching
He deserves it
Good Idae!

Go TU

Hooter, if I were you I'd trademark the Faith in Haith phrase because if anyone in TU's marketing department is reading through this thread you just gave them their next T-shirt. So much better than the "UCONN't but HurriCANe" #SMH
I posted Faith in Haith the day he was hired. Just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT