ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane baseball, 19-40, makes NCAA tournament

College baseball tournaments can be a bit wacky. Those teams who are already guaranteed a tourney spot are often more concerned about setting up their pitching rotations for regionals than winning. Resulting in some weird results.

And ORU at 48-11 and something like a 30 game winning streak is the #4 team in Stillwater and will play OSU...ORU has beaten OSU 2 or 3 times this season. ORU's Summit League is killing them in baseball. The teams are terrible. I think ORU ended with an RPI somewhere in the 80s. Despite beating OSU a couple times, sweeping 3 games with Wichita State and winning a few more games against top notch competition.

I thought ORU deserved a #3 but an RPI of #76 will get you a guaranteed #4. Summit league baseball is just so bad. Curious to see how ORU does this weekend in Stillwater. Playing midweek games against power teams is a lot different than weekend series due to pitching. ORU comes into the regional with a lot of confidence. They have the ability to win it imo

I thought ORU deserved a #3 but an RPI of #76 will get you a guaranteed #4. Summit league baseball is just so bad. Curious to see how ORU does this weekend in Stillwater. Playing midweek games against power teams is a lot different than weekend series due to pitching. ORU comes into the regional with a lot of confidence. They have the ability to win it imo
ORU can hit the damn cover off the ball too. I don't think OSU really wants any part of ORU in this regional and wishes they had been sent somewhere else to give someone a headache

ORU can hit the damn cover off the ball too. I don't think OSU really wants any part of ORU in this regional and wishes they had been sent somewhere else to give someone a headache
Absolutely. ORU is a #4 seed no #1 seed wants to see that first game. Ironically, DBU is the #2 seed. DBU swept a 3 game weekend series from ORU this season. Tough regional.

Last edited:
College baseball tournaments can be a bit wacky. Those teams who are already guaranteed a tourney spot are often more concerned about setting up their pitching rotations for regionals than winning. Resulting in some weird results.
They beat Houston, which was playing for a tourney spot, and ECU, which supposedly was trying to get a regional...

They beat Houston, which was playing for a tourney spot, and ECU, which supposedly was trying to get a regional...
Houston has an RPI of #102. They aren’t very good. I can’t see ECU being in the host discussion with an RPI of #26. That said, great run by Tulane and congrats to them for making the tourney.

Absolutely. ORU is a #4 seed no #1 seed wants to see that first game. Ironically, DBU is the #2 seed. DBU swept a 3 game weekend series from ORU this season. Tough regional.

ORU knocked off Ok State today. Dallas Baptist lost to Washington.

ORU knocked off Ok State today. Dallas Baptist lost to Washington.
In a single game series, ORU has a 60/40 shot at winning against most teams. Their top pitcher is MLB caliber and they can hit the cover off the ball. Where they will be tested is the depth of the pitching staff in a long weekend where they may be forced to play multiple games in a day. Honestly this is what separates the best teams from good teams in college baseball.

In a single game series, ORU has a 60/40 shot at winning against most teams. Their top pitcher is MLB caliber and they can hit the cover off the ball. Where they will be tested is the depth of the pitching staff in a long weekend where they may be forced to play multiple games in a day. Honestly this is what separates the best teams from good teams in college baseball.

The ORU bats are hot tonight. Leading 12-8 after being down 8-0. OSU was eliminated this afternoon.

ORU 1 win from a Super Regional. OSU fans have to be pretty pissed. Although they were at home they were placed with some crazy good teams. Dallas Baptist is one of those teams that is a non-P5 power team in college baseball and then you add ORU as a #4? Obviously Washington has some good players because they've scored a ton of runs so far in this regional. It will be interesting to see what the attendance will be like today. I'm sure DBU has some fans there...I wonder if ORU fans will all of a sudden come out of the woodwork and head to Stilly today.

OSU should take some solace though that there are other seeds who have also been eliminated prior to the regional championship round. Auburn (#13) is out as well and a couple of others on the brink (Miami).

ORU is playing great ball right now. Rooting for them to make the Supers. OSU fans want changes made in Stillwater. Assume they get a change with the pitching coach but the HC is likely safe.

Games are going to be empty in Stillwater. None of those teams have fan bases

ORU advances...

I hate not having a baseball team..
IDK, it would be one more coach to have the "he's won 20% of his games but he got to the AAC finals this year before losing 22-2, you can't fire him if he made the conference finals!" discussion and I'm not sure I can take that.

IDK, it would be one more coach to have the "he's won 20% of his games but he got to the AAC finals this year before losing 22-2, you can't fire him if he made the conference finals!" discussion and I'm not sure I can take that.
Maybe... but i hate not having a team to cry over in the spring..

We are in a decent baseball conference and our non con schedule could be filled with short bus trips.. MSU, ORU, ArK, OU, OSU, DBU, UTA, TCU, just to name a few.. the recruitable talent within 200 miles of campus is phenomenal.. we could probably get Sunny Golloway to restart the program..

Maybe... but i hate not having a team to cry over in the spring..

We are in a decent baseball conference and our non con schedule could be filled with short bus trips.. MSU, ORU, ArK, OU, OSU, DBU, UTA, TCU, just to name a few.. the recruitable talent within 200 miles of campus is phenomenal.. we could probably get Sunny Golloway to restart the program..
Sonny has about as much integrity as Dave Bliss. I've met both and shook their hands...I feel I am able to make that comparison.

Sonny has about as much integrity as Dave Bliss. I've met both and shook their hands...I feel I am able to make that comparison.
Sad I know more about Sunny’s daughter than Sunny :(. #Barrister

Sunny coached my sons travel ball team and I won't disagree.. I still remember his advice to all of his players "Rule 1.. all coaches lie"..

Sunny has had some setbacks in his personal life that have taught him some humility (more than being fired or sued.. stuff outside of baseball). He may not be perfect, but, he made my son a better ball player and helped him get a schollie. He knows his sh!t and just might appreciate a chance to change his legacy.

Golden Eagles live another day! I’ll be pulling for them today.

So will I. Not a ORU fan, but damnit if TU won't have a baseball team I'm okay with ORU baseball representing Tulsa.
By the way, before some of you get nasty, I don’t feel the same way about ORU's recent successes in basketball. Their basketball success finds me being jealous and frustrated with our terrible teams, although I signed up for my 28th season of basketball season tickets.

Last edited:
So will I. Not a ORU fan, but damnit if TU won't have a baseball team I'm okay with ORU baseball representing Tulsa.
By the way, before some of you get nasty, I don’t feel the same way about ORU's recent successes in basketball. Their basketball success finds me being jealous and frustrated with our terrible teams, although I signed up for my 28th season of basketball season tickets.

After today, I’m afraid that the city of Tulsa will be known for both ORU baseball and basketball.

Last two nights walk off wins, nice atmosphere in Eugene, ORU leading late, ORU vs TCU first game.

No need to wait for Football to be better before Basketball should be better.

Who knows if the ongoing conference realignment will eventually reach us, but if it does we need to be ready. Conferences will continue to be built around football, just like last time.

Last two nights walk off wins, nice atmosphere in Eugene, ORU leading late, ORU vs TCU first game.
The seedings and using the RPI or NET or anything like that to put teams in a bracket is just laziness. If any of those clowns in the baseball selection committee room had watched ORU at any given point this year they would have known that the team they were putting in the tournament was nowhere close to a #4 seed. They did OSU an extreme disservice by putting ORU in Stillwater as a #4. This team absolutely hits the cover off the ball. Not only that, they don't get themselves out by swinging at a ton of bad pitches. Take the 9th inning last night for example. 3 walks and a HBP that all ended up as RBIs for those batters.

And after having watched some of their regional in Stillwater and parts of their games in Oregon, their pitching staff is deeper than in past years which is what is allowing them to make a CWS. The difference between teams that make the CWS and the teams that go home early is pitching, and not just having a starter or 2 who are good, but having a staff that you can go 5-6 deep with.

And college baseball as a whole still sucks...I just can't get over the ping of the bat. Makes me feel like I'm watching a Little League game.

Agree. Not sure how anyone who watched the Supers this past weekend didn’t come away a fan. Great games. Loud stadiums. Fantastic emotions
It sucks that Tulsa doesnt have a team... so much local talent.. likely 15-20 locals drafted in first 5 rounds..

Reactions: jesterondirt
There are 6 former Owasso high school players on various teams in this year’s CWS.
Several of the kids my son played with got drafted including Cade Horton, Dax Fulton and Braxton Hyde....

The talent in OK, KS, and NTX is deep..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT