TU women's soccer getting a good one

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Story from the Claremore Progress...

Verdigris has been a powerhouse in girls soccer for many years and have had several standout players during that time.

Aubrey Lechlider is one of those players who is very high on the list. Lechlider scored 107 goals and had 40 assists in her four years with the Lady Cardinals. She will play collegiately at the University of Tulsa.

Verdigris coach Stacia Risenhoover credited Lechlider for being a tremendous asset the past few seasons, and her growth has helped her become one of the best players to come through the stories program.

"Aubrey received double and triple teams throughout every game and became very unselfish in her play, giving her teammates many opportunities,” Risenhoover said. “She will be greatly missed and we wish the best for her as she continues her career at the University of Tulsa."

Lechlider had one final standout performance at the high school level in the Class 4A All-State game in Moore on Saturday, scoring one goal and assisting another in helping fuel the East to a 3-1 victory.

"I enjoyed playing with girls who I had played against," Lechlider said. "It was a fun environment, and we won the game, so that made it even better."

The highlight of Lechlider's time as a Lady Cardinal came during her junior season in 2018. Verdigris finished 16-3 and won the Class 4A state championship. Lechlider had 34 goals and 10 assists that season.

The Lady Cardinals hit a little speed bump in their regular-season finale — a 3-1 defeat against Wagoner — in a game that decided the district title.

Verdigris rebounded quickly, though, opening the playoffs with a 2-0 victory against Rogers County rival Sequoyah.

The Lady Cardinals then won their next two postseason games on the road, dominating Holland Hall, 9-2, in the second round before handling Rogers County neighbor Oologah, 3-1, in the quarterfinals.

Verdigris returned home for the semifinals to face Clinton, a postseason opponent that was and would be familiar to Lechlider and her teammates.

The Lady Cardinals prevailed in that contest, 2-1, and then finished off their run with a 2-0 victory against Skiatook in Sand Springs in the title tilt.

Lechlider scored both goals in the championship game.

Verdigris finished 11-8 when Lechlider was a freshman in 2016. They got past Clinton in the semifinals that year too, 3-1, but then fell to Harrah 2-0 in the championship game.

Verdigris was 14-6 this past season and advanced all the way to another title game after winning all four of the previous rounds at home.

Once again Clinton was waiting in the final. It was another tight contest, but this time the Lady Cardinals came out on the short end of a 3-1 result.

Lechlider had 25 goals and 13 assists in her senior season.

"My four years at Verdigris were the best they could be," Lechlider said. "We made it to three state finals, won one of them and overall had a great group of girls to play with every season. I am going to try and play right away (at TU) and am really excited to see how I can impact the team."

AUBREY LECHLIDER YEAR-BY-YEAR STATS

2016: 18 goals, 6 assists

2017: 30 goals, 11 assists

2018: 34 goals, 10 assists

2019: 25 goals, 13 assists

TOTAL: 107 goals, 40 assists

Former TU men’s player Troy Tokarchik’s daughter will graduate from Bishop Kelley spring 2020 and has already committed to play at TU. Troy is the HC for the girls team there and they are pretty much a state powerhouse in 5A in girl’s soccer. Need more players like this who know what it takes to win

Reactions: TU 1978
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT