ADVERTISEMENT

TU vs SDSU

The Hurricane's lack of experience caught with them in this game in the second half. The guards looked lost on offense. They had no idea what to do against SDSU's speed, shooting and energy. Its games like this that the players can learn the most.

A rematch against a good Illinois State team is next. We'll have to play one of our best games to win it.

Looking at our allocation of minutes played by player against SDSU, our "inexperience" isn't near as pronounced as some would lead you to believe. Two Seniors along with Taplin led in minutes played while only two freshmen played more than ten minutes and none played over twenty. Without the restrictions on practice time we have during the time school is in session we will hopefully see this team make strides heading knot conference play. UConn now looks like a very winnable opener given all there injuries.

Looking at our allocation of minutes played by player against SDSU, our "inexperience" isn't near as pronounced as some would lead you to believe. Two Seniors along with Taplin led in minutes played while only two freshmen played more than ten minutes and none played over twenty. Without the restrictions on practice time we have during the time school is in session we will hopefully see this team make strides heading knot conference play. UConn now looks like a very winnable opener given all there injuries.

2 seniors?

Breakdown by minutes:

Seniors. 78
Juniors. 45
Soph. 32
Frosh. 45

I wouldn't call that an experienced team but it's certainly not one I would call overly inexperienced in terms of age. Upperclassmen logged 123 total minutes. There are plenty of teams out there playing who have seniors playing a lot less than 78 minutes a game. I did on my phone so if my breakdown is wrong please correct.

Edogi only played ten minutes so I didn't include him as someone getting significant minutes.

Breakdown by minutes:

Seniors. 78
Juniors. 45
Soph. 32
Frosh. 45

I wouldn't call that an experienced team but it's certainly not one I would call overly inexperienced in terms of age. Upperclassmen logged 123 total minutes. There are plenty of teams out there playing who have seniors playing a lot less than 78 minutes a game. I did on my phone so if my breakdown is wrong please correct.

Edogi only played ten minutes so I didn't include him as someone getting significant minutes.

Who is the other senior besides Birt you refer to?

Who is the other senior besides Birt you refer to?

Our roster on this site lists Etou and Edogi both as Seniors. I'm assuming for whatever reason it's referring to their actual class and not eligibility? Do we have anything official regarding eligibility classifications?

Last edited:
Edogi and Etou are both redshirt juniors. The only player we lose off this team (to eligibility) is Birt. We should lose one other, probably an underclassman, since we have two signees coming in next year.

Edogi and Etou are both redshirt juniors. The only player we lose off this team (to eligibility) is Birt. We should lose one other, probably an underclassman, since we have two signees coming in next year.

Thanks for the clarification and that's what I initially thought. However, I figured this site would have more information on classifications than myself.

Except for Birt most of the players currently playing really don't have much experience in game situations. They were sitting on the bench last couple of years.

I would not call our guards undersized by any means.

Wheeler and Henderson listed as 6'4. That's not bad. Should have just said Taplin. He's listed as 6'1. That is often undersized in today's game. SDSU's PG Hemsley is 6'4. Cincy's PG Caupain is 6'4. UCONN's PG Adams is 6'3. Many of the upper echelon teams will have size advantage over Taplin. Height difference, length, athleticism causes problems. He had 5 turnovers and 0 assists yesterday. With more experience hopefully he'll learn how to create against these teams without turning the ball over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT