ADVERTISEMENT

TU softball

mcane

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Saw scoreless after 5 against a national title contender OSU
ESPN + is not working
I assuming the cowgirls won but does anyone know?

Girls are 14-16 now and have lost 5 straight. The good news is they play the worst team in the conference (Memphis) this weekend to open up league play. Good chance to start out 3-0 in the AAC

They took the number 2 team in the country to the wire. Moore was terrific.

Moore is a good pitcher. She just needs to start every game and that’s not possible

9 innings. I watched the game and the girls played great. We had the chance to win on multiple occasions but it seemed like the nerves got to them. 2 straight strike outs in the 8th with a girl on second. Both strikeouts were chasing balls way out of the zone. You could see it in her eyes, she was nervous.

So usually the top teams throw pitcher B or C in those midweek non-conference 1-off games. I'm sure OSU didn't throw their ace who they're probably saving for their Big XII games this weekend.

So usually the top teams throw pitcher B or C in those midweek non-conference 1-off games. I'm sure OSU didn't throw their ace who they're probably saving for their Big XII games this weekend.
Lexi is there 2/3. Still a very good pitcher who has pitched some big innings this year for OSU. TU played well. Hopefully they can carry that over to league play

OSU has three very solid pitchers. The starter was their 2-3 starter, but they had to come in with their ace to finish it off. I mean that pitching is the best tu will see until the OU game.

Looks like TU has taken the 1st 2 games against Memphis with the 2nd being a 7-0 no-hit shutout. Maura Moore now has 2 no-hitters in the season. No Strinole needs to find at least 1 more pitcher to keep teams from scoring 6-7 runs a game.

In the game against OSU where we almost pulled off the upset...It was our backup catcher calling the pitches. Our coach was suspended for the game so she couldn't do it. Every game where the backup catcher calls the pitches we have done well. Maybe coach needs to not call pitches, she doesn't seem to be an expert in that area.

In the game against OSU where we almost pulled off the upset...It was our backup catcher calling the pitches. Our coach was suspended for the game so she couldn't do it. Every game where the backup catcher calls the pitches we have done well. Maybe coach needs to not call pitches, she doesn't seem to be an expert in that area.
She doesn't know anything about pitching. if I recall correctly she played some 3rd base and catcher and was a really good hitter. I think there has been a fundamental difference in philosophy between Bargfeldt and Strimple in how to recruit and how they were trying to win games. Strimple wants to outhit everyone. Bargfeldt wanted to keep teams from scoring. When he was here, TUs pitching and defense was among the best, statistically, in the nation. TU is scoring more runs under Strimple but the pitching and defense have been pretty bad. Anyone who knows anything about baseball or softball knows pitching and defense win games more often than not. There's a reason why the Yankees didn't make the World Series last year despite having one of those Murderer's Row type lineups. Their pitching wasn't very good, and good pitchers can beat good hitters.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUcandoit
TU lost to OU 6-0 yesterday. At least we didn't get run ruled vs OU's B-side. Of course that comes on the heels of us getting absolutely blasted by Wichita State over the weekend. I understand the Shockers are good this year, but TU hasn't really been competitive against good teams this season. Strimple needs to go. When Bargfeldt was here, OU and OSU would come in and these games would be toss-ups for TU (actually OSU wasn't even at the same level of TU back then). We have fallen off so much it's not even funny. We don't even have softball dad coming on here and blasting the program anymore because it's not worth his energy to kick a dying dog. TU is 20-27 on the season. Not acceptable. Write to Rick and let him know. TU alumni and fans of TU athletics actually do care about more than just the football and basketball teams.

I am pretty sure his daughter was in the teams he kept blasting and she wasnt getting the playing time he wanted for her. That is why he blasted the team so much. Now she is gone and so is he.

While I haven’t been, I thought our facilities were nice?

We have nice facilities but they can be better. I believe part of the reason Bargfeldt left is he wanted some training areas set up for pitching and hitting and TU just came through with some of those this year. My guess is he'd like a dedicated softball locker room that isn't an afterthought and part of the tennis facility. And just like in other sports, facilities (and now NIL) are often what makes the difference between a recruit choosing you or a competitor. We'll never be OU in terms of facilities but there is no reason TU can't be one of the top programs in the AAC in softball every year.

While I haven’t been, I thought our facilities were nice?

I can’t read the whole article since I don’t subscribe to the TW. Based on the headline then Gasso is concerned about the sport, opportunities for local players, OU visibility for Tulsa area fans, etc.. she understands that TU maintaining a viable, rather than a minimum required, program is good for the sport and local women players. If my assessment is correct good for Patty Gasso.

I can’t read the whole article since I don’t subscribe to the TW. Based on the headline then Gasso is concerned about the sport, opportunities for local players, OU visibility for Tulsa area fans, etc.. she understands that TU maintaining a viable, rather than a minimum required, program is good for the sport and local women players. If my assessment is correct good for Patty Gasso.
There's not actually a print article but a sort of podcast interview with Gasso about why it's important for OU to play @ TU.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Synopsis from Gasso

The game in Tulsa brings the Tulsa program added revenue in the form of ticket sales

Tulsa’s softball program really needs that revenue to make program and facility upgrades.

Yeah, I think Gasso wants to get him out of Stillwater b/c he has helped make that pitching staff pretty damn formidable. While I don't see Bedlam continuing in football or basketball, I can see it continuing in softball, wrestling, and some smaller sports like that.
My guess is OU stays in the Big12 for wrestling. I would expect the schools to continue to play each other in all sports except for football with basketball probably the most questionable.

My guess is OU stays in the Big12 for wrestling. I would expect the schools to continue to play each other in all sports except for football with basketball probably the most questionable.
The non revenue sports always look for those gas tank matchups

BTW, I watched the Bedlam softball game on Saturday. OSU's pitching staff is no joke. And neither is OU's anything. OU is like the Yankees...because of their lineup and how freaking good they are, they're not done until that last out is recorded with you ahead. And people gripe about Gasso because she gets all the best players. It's not like Calipari at UK where he gets all the best players and they flame out in the 2nd round of the tournament. You go to play for Gasso right now and there's a 95% chance you're winning a national championship.

BTW, I watched the Bedlam softball game on Saturday. OSU's pitching staff is no joke. And neither is OU's anything. OU is like the Yankees...because of their lineup and how freaking good they are, they're not done until that last out is recorded with you ahead. And people gripe about Gasso because she gets all the best players. It's not like Calipari at UK where he gets all the best players and they flame out in the 2nd round of the tournament. You go to play for Gasso right now and there's a 95% chance you're winning a national championship.
Gasso works the system better than any coach that I have ever seen...

They formally applied for wrestling to stay back in September. No idea what the outcome of the application is.

Hope the conference denies it..
Wrestling is a different animal than other sports. Likely because those involved understand the real danger of it disappearing from the college landscape. It’s the only sport where Oklahoma State fans openly cheer for a successful OU program. I would fully expect the Big12 to welcome OU wrestling. Precedent was set with Missouri.

Was looking at our conference this year. Typically we are a decent little conference but this year...eeeek. #1 and #2 are competitive, the rest of us.... We are the 4 seed with a losing record. I know part of the reason the conference isnt as mighty as it once was....is because of us. I want Bargfeldt back so bad!

Was looking at our conference this year. Typically we are a decent little conference but this year...eeeek. #1 and #2 are competitive, the rest of us.... We are the 4 seed with a losing record. I know part of the reason the conference isnt as mighty as it once was....is because of us. I want Bargfeldt back so bad!
We haven't been competitive in games against good teams. That should tell you all you need to know about the state of the program. That and we're losing games to teams in lower conferences we should not be losing to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT