ADVERTISEMENT

TU Soccer 2023

Hate to admit it, but that gives him much more visibility and starting salary in his pro career than staying at Tulsa would have.
The MLS gives no cares about that. Perform or leave.

it isnt like the BS perception of the SEC in other sports. I have watched plenty of great players go through the MLS who didn't amount to anything. They don't care in football. He is older too in footballing years. The MLS expanded the draft this year too.

Just sayin...

The MLS gives no cares about that. Perform or leave.

it isnt like the BS perception of the SEC in other sports. I have watched plenty of great players go through the MLS who didn't amount to anything. They don't care in football. He is older too in footballing years. The MLS expanded the draft this year too.

Just sayin...
The MLS superdraft is sort of a hogwash thing nowadays. It drives kids with pro-aspirations to college vs another route. I mean, look at the Dallas Cowboys kicker. Something like the #2 overall pick in the MLS superdraft and couldn't make the team, so he started kicking in the USFL and now is bombing 60 yarders for the Cowboys like they're chip shots. Most of these guys are getting relegated to the "2" sides for MLS Next Pro or loaned out to USL sides. The majority of players in MLS now are home grown young signings and int'l guys who are signed at 16, developed, and sold off for gobs of $$$ to go back in Garber's bank account.

The MLS superdraft is sort of a hogwash thing nowadays. It drives kids with pro-aspirations to college vs another route. I mean, look at the Dallas Cowboys kicker. Something like the #2 overall pick in the MLS superdraft and couldn't make the team, so he started kicking in the USFL and now is bombing 60 yarders for the Cowboys like they're chip shots. Most of these guys are getting relegated to the "2" sides for MLS Next Pro or loaned out to USL sides. The majority of players in MLS now are home grown young signings and int'l guys who are signed at 16, developed, and sold off for gobs of $$$ to go back in Garber's bank account.
Yup.

I think it’s really important for our recruiting when the coaches can tell players and parents that you can come to TU and have the highest level of ability and have that ability recognized as equal to the teams with more resources. And get a pretty darn good degree. Better than Clemson, that’s for sure. And if you decide to move on to pursue a pro career or a program with more visibility, we are grateful and happy for you.

Speaking of recruiting, I saw where TU signed 2 European players last week. I believe both are JUCO transfers. 1 is a forward from the Netherlands and the other is a defender from Germany.

Meinhard was named to the All-Tourney team. Congrats to him. Agree with Huffy. Nothing but a positive for TU.

Not a fan of the trend of our top players foregoing college and instead pursuing the MLS Next route. I’m a fan of college soccer though. I see this trend first hand with the top area youth players. Assume this will make recruiting overseas that much more important for those college programs.

Alex Meinhard - National Champion
I watched the 2nd half of the NC game vs ND last night on an ESPN replay. Clemson was up 1-0 at half presumably. ND dominated the play in the 2nd half and pressed hard and had a ton of good chances. I pay attention to the GKs when I watch these games and there is a noticeable shift in the NCAA moving away from the big lumbering shot stoppers in the back to smaller, more agile, really good with the ball at their feet types. See Alex Lopez. Clemson's GK looked tiny so we looked him up. He's listed at 6', 160 lbs to which my wife and I both "joked" that he's a true 5'10 and about 145-150. He had a remarkably similar build and profile as my son. In the time I was watching the game, he touched the ball 2-3 times, all on passbacks. He didn't record a single save while I was watching. ND hit a cross bar, a post, and on a 1 v 1 chance, forward hit it outside the near post into the side netting.

Meinhard was on to start the half but seemed to be playing more of an 8/10 role and not necessarily the 9 we were accustomed to seeing him play. Anyway, I know later in the 2nd half, ND had a shot blocked and the counter from Clemson was so quick and they got it to their All American striker who hammered a weird, tailing shot inside the near post. Not sure the ND GK even knew he was shooting because the reaction was so late. Meinhard did have the assist on the 2nd goal for Clemson. Notre Dame did score one in the 88th minute to pull within 2-1 and I'm sure the last minute or so was really intense for Clemson b/c Notre Dame can score quickly when they're pushing high.

Talking about people playing as a “Number 9” vs. a “Number 8” or “6” or whatever.
Ah, OK. So basically, start in the back, left to right when looking from behind the GK. The wonkiness gets when you play a non-traditional formation.

9 is traditionally your center forward/striker. Your traditional 9 is big and strong and is trying to score anytime they get the ball near the box. Harry Kane and Erling Haaland are traditional 9s. This is definitely how Meinhard was being used at TU. You'll hear people refer to false 9. This is more like an additional MF, comes closer to the defense and helps pivot and distribute the ball. Firmino when he was at Liverpool is a good example. If you watch Ted Lasso, Jamie Tartt in season 2 was used as a false 9 in Nate's scheme.

Right now the US is playing a 4-3-3. The 3 MFs traditionally are the 6-8-10. Reyna is definitely the 10, but with Tyler Adam's absence, the US has actually been playing more of a two-6 system with Musah and McKennie acting as a double pivot connecting the defensive line to the attackers.

When Klinsmann was coach, the US played what would have traditionally been described as a 4-4-2 with the 4 MFs taking the shape of a diamond, dropping the 9 into that false 9 role. It worked on occasion but was really vulnerable against pressing teams as it focused too much on building through the center of the field contrasted to now where it's obvious to see where the US' primary talent ant strengths are on the outside and utilizing the full backs (outside defenders) pushing into the attack and connecting with your 7 (Pulisic) and 11 (Weah). And Berhalter's attack definitely utilized the 9 as a true 9. If you notice the play usually tries to get started with the 6, transition to offense through the MF in the center with McKennie or Reyna and getting the fullbacks on overlapping runs. The individual skill of the the US' current crop of 7, 9, 11, 8 and 10 give opponents fits and thus you've got Jedi and Dest finding a lot of space to them and becoming extra dangerous.

When my son was 11, Donovan Ricketts gave each kid on the team a 3x5 index card with their position number and a list of responsibilities/general positioning. It was a great way to introduce the boys to their roles but also who they should remain "in connection" with on the field.

The worst development in soccer over the previous 40 years is the end to the traditional numbering system described above.

The worst development in soccer over the previous 40 years is the end to the traditional numbering system described above.
I know. I love the traditional starters wear the number corresponding to their primary position. And youth teams should really hold to that convention...hate seeing CBs and MFs wearing #1 when it is a GK number and indicative of the starter.

He was really coming on before his injury. Playing the best I have seen for a few games.

Given how teams play different styles, I think it is just silly listening to people talk about numbers. But whatever, number away.

MHS to FC Dallas.
He was part of their youth academy before he came to TU. He costs them only what they're paying him and nothing towards their cap since he's probably still considered a homegrown player. It's also why they don't have to wait around for the Super Draft. TU has had a couple of "pro" players come to them. There is a kid that FC Tulsa signed, Miereles(?) who should be a + for the lineup at TU next season. These are good relationships, especially if the pro teams understand Tom's coaching and style and can see positive results in their academy players, encouraging them to go to college, get experience and develop more physically, with a promise to bring them back to the pro club rosters (1st or 2nd team or MLS Next Pro). I wonder what the restrictions are on NIL for those guys. Like, could FC Dallas pay their homegrown kids to do a few TV commercials and promote youth nights, etc. or even appear as spokespeople to get people to come to their various youth clubs? Seems like that would be 100% legit use of NIL...heck they could even offer to pay the athlete's remaining tuition, room and board and that wouldn't take away scholarship $. Just a thought

TU has signed a GK our of Florida. Kid is part of the Sporting KC academy and 2nd side. Again, I definitely see TU as a place for these academy kids to turn their collegiate playing time into homegrown contracts.

Did Meinhard even get drafted, or does his status stay the same as last year? How does that work?

How was he even eligible for the draft last year, I thought you had to be out of eligibility to get drafted. (or give it up if you get drafted)

How was he even eligible for the draft last year, I thought you had to be out of eligibility to get drafted. (or give it up if you get drafted)
I think he was 2nd round last year. I know in hockey if you get drafted you can return to college as long as you don't sign your contract. Team that drafted you retains your rights. Not sure if MLS follows that same convention.

I think he was 2nd round last year. I know in hockey if you get drafted you can return to college as long as you don't sign your contract. Team that drafted you retains your rights. Not sure if MLS follows that same convention.
Can you give a brief explanation on the structure of MLS and MLS Next? Specifically territories, 14-15 year olds signing MLS N contracts, etc.? The girls side is so much simpler.

Thanks. The brother of one of my daughter’s teammates plays for Austin FC MLS Next Academy. Austin had to pay FC Dallas a fee before they were allowed to sign him due to the boy living in Dallas prior to the signing. He’s 16.
I don't know anything about territoriality for the MLS Next stuff. My guess is the kid may have been part of the FC Dallas program at one point and Austin basically had to buy him to release him and to also be able to claim him as homegrown if he should make the MLS roster at some point. MLS clubs have a lot more freedom in terms of contracts and roster spaces when it comes to homegrown vs transfer vs int'l or designated player. I don't know all the intricacies there though.

I know Austin runs through academy and MLS Next players like water and they are seemingly quick to part with them early on. My son's team played an FC Westlake squad that had 10 players who had just been released from Austin's MLS NP academy. They were damn good.

They should do anything they can to identify the best players they can from anywhere and bring them
In as early as they can and still be able to consider them "homegrown". Follow the Euro model where if you find a kid from England, or Germany, or Italy, or Ghana, you should be able to sign them and bring them into your academy to start playing and teaching them. And if they pan out there is a good chance they will sell them on for millions. And that's fine as MLS has decided it's a development league for the world's top 5 Euro leagues since MLS is never going to get into or win a bidding war for a world wide superstar at their peak. And that's too bad because a lot of these players would probably love coming to the US and playing in the best stadiums (MLS needs to mandate grass), one of the highest qualities of life for them and their families, etc. But MLS isn't about spending money to make money. Miami is making a killing off of Messi and the Barca Trey right now in terms of merchandising, ticket sales, and the media/ad buys. The other MLS owners must see what the potential is if they invest to bring the best here. Look at what's happening in Saudi Arabia. They've got some of the biggest stars in the world and their spending BILLIONS per year on them...yet it's still a league that's below MLS in total quality. Not to mention we don't get any of the games unless you have Fubo. MLS has a unique opportunity to cash in what might be the most hyped 3-4 years in US soccer history between Copa America, the World Cup, the women's World Cup and the '28 Olympics. If you build up and invest in MLS as part of that, you might be able to make it a top 6-8 domestic league (right now it's behind EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Eredivisie, Ligue Un, Liga Mx (marginally), Turkey's pro league, Portugal, maybe Brazil's, and even the Swiss and Austrian domestic leagues. And there are probably a couple more.

I don’t know, I’m guessing, but Meinhard graduated so that was likely what made him eligible. He would count as an international slot so that may have influenced his decision to not sign. Nashville drafted him in the second round and they hold his rights until December 31, 2024 when he will be 26 years old. His window is closing.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The space shuttle was less complex.
Agreed. The whole thing is designed to screw the players. At some point soon, I think there will be a strike. The American system is designed to enrich owners as massively as possible. It is that simple. I am not sure why people think that is great for the game. Building "cool" stadiums does not make the product better.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Agreed. The whole thing is designed to screw the players. At some point soon, I think there will be a strike. The American system is designed to enrich owners as massively as possible. It is that simple. I am not sure why people think that is great for the game. Building "cool" stadiums does not make the product better.
Those stadiums are usually financed by the poor people in the ghettos rather than the owners. Just look at what the owners in OKC are doing. They are fronting one year of an SGA contract for the arena. It is a hell of a deal for them. Meanwhile, your average retail clerk living in Midwest City who has never attended a game gets to finance the whole thing for them. It is a bizarre system we have designed.

Wynda called out MLS owners and Garber the other day about the whole US Open Cup thing and MLS has decided to not participate because they can't enter their MLS Next Pro teams as their entries. Wynalda went off about how MLS and Garber are not about growing the game and building a better product in the US. It's all about how much $ they can make.

Those stadiums are usually financed by the poor people in the ghettos rather than the owners. Just look at what the owners in OKC are doing. They are fronting one year of an SGA contract for the arena. It is a hell of a deal for them. Meanwhile, your average retail clerk living in Midwest City who has never attended a game gets to finance the whole thing for them. It is a bizarre system we have designed.
Once municipalities pass a “temporary” sales tax they are seldom temporary as they typically get extended and extended. The people overwhelmingly voted for the extension. Disagree with the OKC arena being financed by the poor people in the ghetto. Those people pay a very small fraction of that sales tax.

Wynda called out MLS owners and Garber the other day about the whole US Open Cup thing and MLS has decided to not participate because they can't enter their MLS Next Pro teams as their entries. Wynalda went off about how MLS and Garber are not about growing the game and building a better product in the US. It's all about how much $ they can make.
USSF put a stop to that. Probably so MLS could reverse and save face.

Once municipalities pass a “temporary” sales tax they are seldom temporary as they typically get extended and extended. The people overwhelmingly voted for the extension. Disagree with the OKC arena being financed by the poor people in the ghetto. Those people pay a very small fraction of that sales tax.
Yeah, because they can't afford to buy as much. Looking at the ratio between what they pay, and what they earn, it equals out at minimum.

Yeah, because they can't afford to buy as much. Looking at the ratio between what they pay, and what they earn, it equals out at minimum.
Facts. Not arguing that sales tax in general has a disparate impact on the poor. Only pointing out they pay a very small portion of capital projects financed through a penny sales tax. Maybe a better analysis is how many poor have jobs which are created (directly or indirectly) by having an NBA team in the city? Don’t really have a strong opinion either way here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT