ADVERTISEMENT

TU Legend DT to Retire

T_Hans

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Sep 15, 2022
Don Tomkalski, the longest tenured employee in the athletic department, is retiring after 40 years. He’s pretty much at every game and getting stats and records to the media. A Tulsa legend.

Don Tomkalski, the longest tenured employee in the athletic department, is retiring after 40 years. He’s pretty much at every game and getting stats and records to the media. A Tulsa legend.

I've known DT for 23 years. When I started The Hurricane Alert (now ITS) back in 2001, Don Tom was navigating the rise of internet media. We had to jump through a few hoops back then to get our media credentials, but we've had them ever since and covered every football and basketball season since then from the press box/press row with DT's help. You just always knew you'd see DT at every game, and he was always ready to answer questions.

As you can imagine, over the span of 23 years, we bumped heads a few times, but he was always professional and got things worked out. He's had an outstanding career, and his accomplishments should be celebrated.

I've known DT for 23 years. When I started The Hurricane Alert (now ITS) back in 2001, Don Tom was navigating the rise of internet media. We had to jump through a few hoops back then to get our media credentials, but we've had them ever since and covered every football and basketball season since then from the press box/press row with DT's help. You just always knew you'd see DT at every game, and he was always ready to answer questions.

As you can imagine, over the span of 23 years, we bumped heads a few times, but he was always professional and got things worked out. He's had an outstanding career, and his accomplishments should be celebrated.
Yes I remember you had some great board info from yourself or other posters that beat his release. ( Like the Duke basketball visit) and others) but you were just doing your job. He’s always been gracious about everything. Great guy.

What are the chances of another Sports Information Director at any school staying 40 years? DT will be missed. He has helped me a lot through the years covering TU. I wrote a paper at TU while I was a student about historical football attendance, and he found out about it and wanted a copy.
Hope u didn't take that comment seriously.

It will be interesting to see if they do anything extraordinary to honor him. The university gave him the highest employee recognition years ago.

Used to work for him. Great boss. Certainly a TU legend.

Working for him and with the other athletic media staff who have since moved on was actually what made me fall in love with TU sports.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TUMU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT