Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Media release...

Tulsa Gets Arkansas on Home Football Schedule in 2027 at H.A. Chapman Stadium

TULSA, Okla. –– When the Arkansas Razorbacks visit H.A. Chapman Stadium to face the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in 2027, it will be 75 years since the two teams last played in Tulsa.

Tulsa and Arkansas have agreed to a new three-year contract that has the Razorbacks coming to Tulsa to kick-off the 2027 season on September 4, 2027. The two teams will also play twice in Arkansas, first on Nov. 21, 2026 and again on Sept. 1, 2029.

“I know a lot of our fans and former players have waited a long time for Arkansas to return to Tulsa to play football. We’re excited to have Arkansas join Oklahoma State in coming to Chapman Stadium in the decade of the 2020’s,” said Tulsa’s vice president & director of athletics Dr. Derrick Gragg. “I’m thankful to Arkansas’ athletic director Hunter Yurachek and former senior associate athletic director Julie Cromer (now athletic director at Ohio U.) in helping make this game in Tulsa possible.”

The last 42 games in the series have all been played in the state of Arkansas as the two teams last met in the 2018 campaign in Fayetteville. There have been 73 games played in the series, including 51 in Arkansas and just 22 times in the state of Oklahoma, 20 times in Tulsa and twice in Muskogee.

Tulsa last hosted Arkansas on November 22, 1952, when the Howard Waugh-led Hurricane captured a 44-34 victory over the Hogs. While Arkansas leads the overall series by a count of 54-16-3, the Hurricane has a 10-8-2 mark in Tulsa against the Razorbacks

In 2027, H.A. Chapman Stadium, formerly known as Skelly Field and Skelly Stadium, will be three years shy of celebrating its 100th birthday. The two teams faced off in the inaugural game of Skelly Field on October 4, 1930, as Tulsa scored a 26-6 victory over the Razorbacks.

In the history of Chapman Stadium, Tulsa has hosted six schools who now reside in the SEC. Ole Miss (1932) and Florida (1949) were members of the SEC at the time of the meetings, while South Carolina (1948, Southern Conference), Arkansas (1952, SWC), Texas A&M (1991, SWC) and Missouri (1997, Big 8) had not joined the SEC yet. Tulsa posted a 3-3 record in those games.

In the next 11 seasons (2020-230) Tulsa will play five home games against Power 5 schools, including the Arkansas contest and four games against Oklahoma State.

Tulsa-Arkansas Future Games

Nov. 21, 2026 @ Arkansas
Sept. 4, 2027 @ Tulsa
Sept. 1, 2029 @ Arkansas

Tulsa Home Games vs. Power 5 Schools (2020-30)

Sept. 14, 2024 vs. Oklahoma State
Sept. 5, 2026 vs. Oklahoma State
Sept. 4, 2027 vs. Arkansas
Sept. 16, 2028 vs. Oklahoma State
Sept. 14, 2030 vs. Oklahoma State

Anyone left alive from the Class of ‘52 who makes it to the game should be given Presidential suite tickets and a halftime recognition.
Not too many of those guys left. Class of '52 guys would be in their 90's. Doubt any of them would make it to the game. Class of '52 for high school or the University of Tulsa. Even if they took 6 years to graduate from TU they'd be lucky to be 89.

Not too many of those guys left. Class of '52 guys would be in their 90's. Doubt any of them would make it to the game. Class of '52 for high school or the University of Tulsa. Even if they took 6 years to graduate from TU they'd be lucky to be 89.
That’s 68 years ago so the freshmen and sophomores should only be 86-87 and that looks younger every day.

That’s 68 years ago so the freshmen and sophomores should only be 86-87 and that looks younger every day.
It seems like you are figuring that for today. As much as we might like it to, time won't stop between today and 2027. Those guys, and you and I, will all be 8 or so years older by then.

It seems like you are figuring that for today. As much as we might like it to, time won't stop between today and 2027. Those guys, and you and I, will all be 8 or so years older by then.
Lol, yep, I forgot the game date. You’re right they would be getting close to a hundred.

Is there any space to add temporary stands to increase capacity for the game?
I hear they're going to put a ferris wheel on top of the Case Center for just such an occasion.

In all seriousness, a Ferris Wheel in the Middle of The Chapman Tailgate area would be cool for that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT