ADVERTISEMENT

TU football..

Assuming we go 2-2 in OOC that would only allow for two losses in conference. 8 wins will be tough. 7-5 would be a great turnaround

Wow. I need a pair of those glasses you all are looking through. I see a repeat of last season as about right. this is a tough schedule and I just don't see 5 or more wins in there. I would count a 4 win season as clear improvement, given the competition.

I can see 8 or more wins with this team! These guys have lots of
fire and want to in their eyes!

Starting to feel good about 6 wins and competitive but not close losses followed by a minor bowl.

The season checks all my boxes with that.

6 wins and 7 losses where we give three to five games away by blowing leads in the second half through egotistical over conservative play calling or defensive collapse is not acceptable anymore.

I don’t care if we lose 6 games 63-17 week after week if the kids are fighting out there and graduating. I can’t express in this forum how frustrated I am watching this team the last two years under perform because of the sideline decisions that took 2 to 3 wins a year off the board.

Starting to feel good about 6 wins and competitive but not close losses followed by a minor bowl.

The season checks all my boxes with that.

6 wins and 7 losses where we give three to five games away by blowing leads in the second half through egotistical over conservative play calling or defensive collapse is not acceptable anymore.

I don’t care if we lose 6 games 63-17 week after week if the kids are fighting out there and graduating. I can’t express in this forum how frustrated I am watching this team the last two years under perform because of the sideline decisions that took 2 to 3 wins a year off the board.
We have not had a good quarterback since Dane graduated . They were all rookies and made plenty of mistakes even when Montgomery kept it conservative . I for one like Phil Montgomery and here’s hoping Zach Smith has a great year .

We have not had a good quarterback since Dane graduated . They were all rookies and made plenty of mistakes even when Montgomery kept it conservative . I for one like Phil Montgomery and here’s hoping Zach Smith has a great year .
Yep. Reasonable minds can differ. The conclusions are found on the field. That’s why makes this time of year so special. We can all be optimistic and we should be.

Reactions: quincy101
I can only go by the spring game where we threw it a bunch vs the run. The pass protection was very good while the run blocking sucked. Our O-line is big & athletic but with little experience(12,10,4,0,&0 starts) plus our two stud RBs hardly played so expect improvement there after fall camp(& after Mick St). With a guy that can throw it & guys who appear able to catch it, I believe the pass vs run plays will even out for a change.

Just like Mick St, our D will keep us in every game-against everyone on the schedule. A top 10 pass defense will only be better with more experience & practicing against an improved passing game. The run D will be improved-no doubt in my mind with the front line starters, LBs, safetys & corners we have with run support emphasized in camp.

So........... we'll lose a couple of close ones, win a couple of close ones & beat up on some poor cupcake in a minor bowl: 7-6. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

I really hope we are spending lots of quality practice time on special teams. This unit cost us several games last year. We have to be capable of making routine field goals, catching kick offs, covering kicks. Don’t fair catch inside the 10. Routine stuff that high schools are capable of executing.

I really hope we are spending lots of quality practice time on special teams. This unit cost us several games last year. We have to be capable of making routine field goals, catching kick offs, covering kicks. Don’t fair catch inside the 10. Routine stuff that competent and experienced coaches are capable of emphasizing and ensuring are executed at a high level.
FIFY

I really hope we are spending lots of quality practice time on special teams. This unit cost us several games last year. We have to be capable of making routine field goals, catching kick offs, covering kicks. Don’t fair catch inside the 10. Routine stuff that high schools are capable of executing.

If I see another stupid sideline penalty b/c some fourth-string wide receiver has no discipline, I'm done with Monty.

This is the stuff that concerns me the most and makes me the most pessimistic.

Fair catches inside the 10 is fine on kick offs with the new rules and depending on situation in punts.

However it's a strong point that we have intelligent players who should be coached on what the smart choices are in those situations.

Not too long ago the team was reward by a very intelligent player knowing the rules and making the right decision on a punt. That isn't something I have seen lately.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000

Well, you’ll be optimistic after hearing coach Sunshine Pumper talk about the offense today.

Someone needs to clean the camera lens next time. Or something.

Reactions: TULSARISING
When Monty was hired QB play and the offense overall were the least of my concerns. Couldn’t have been more wrong.
Indeed, we were sold that he was The QB whisperer at Baylor and the reason behind their offensive success.

What we appear to have is a situation where nobody wanted/wants to be part of his staff or team. The incoming talent coaching talent and recruits simply aren’t on par with any of the three previous coaches right now. And there was a massive drop off after two years of BB.

We may be caught in the spiral where we can’t improve because the talent leading the team is incapable of teaching them either because they don’t know how to win or can’t effectively convey it, or is unwilling to do what is necessary to verify that results are being achieved. I think the overall strategy is flawed because the nature of the offensive concepts he wants to employ don’t match our unique circumstances.

The players may not be improving because they lack natural ability, aren’t being pushed properly, or the competition on the depth chart/practice field isn’t forcing results. That all goes back to who is on campus in the first place and who decided to recruit them over others.

You can’t say the last two years were terrible because we didn’t have a QB, not because of Monty. When Monty is the reason we didnt have a QB. BB left him a pro QB on the bench. We didn’t win 3 games last year because Gabe Burgess likes drugs more than football. We lost all those games because our coaches couldn’t attract a quality QB to their system over the course of three recruiting cycles. We know from experience from Rubley to Gus to Fitzgerald to Smith to Kinne to Evans that our campus, tradition and academics will attract, support, and retain championship QBs. If it ain’t working out at QB, it ain’t the school and it offends me when people suggest or infer that. We all know where the buck stops.

But we have no choice right now other than hope for the best. The program is in his hands. I intend to try to enjoy the first few games and see if there is a sliver of a chance this program is capable of generating the goodwill the team is funded to create.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU 1978
Captain obvious says lens cleaner don't fix no stinkin' backlighting.
Captain Technology says don’t use an iPhone to do a man’s work

I thought at any moment someone was going to come out of nowhere and say “Alright, Frankie. One bite everybody knows the rules ..”

Last edited:
Captain obvious says lens cleaner don't fix no stinkin' backlighting.

I thought maybe they were trying for some artistic effect, but as Huffy explained, the Android phone wasn’t up to the task of film noir for the Monty and Bruce extravaganza.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Monty seemed really bummed in the interview about HIS offense. I hope our defense doesn't let up and embarasses them every opportunity. This MSU defense is going to have a field day if he (Monty) doesn't figure this out in the next three weeks. Maybe he should go with Boomer and keep Smith from getting hurt. No kidding, it could be that bad.

Indeed, we were sold that he was The QB whisperer at Baylor and the reason behind their offensive success.

What we appear to have is a situation where nobody wanted/wants to be part of his staff or team. The incoming talent coaching talent and recruits simply aren’t on par with any of the three previous coaches right now. And there was a massive drop off after two years of BB.

We may be caught in the spiral where we can’t improve because the talent leading the team is incapable of teaching them either because they don’t know how to win or can’t effectively convey it, or is unwilling to do what is necessary to verify that results are being achieved. I think the overall strategy is flawed because the nature of the offensive concepts he wants to employ don’t match our unique circumstances.

The players may not be improving because they lack natural ability, aren’t being pushed properly, or the competition on the depth chart/practice field isn’t forcing results. That all goes back to who is on campus in the first place and who decided to recruit them over others.

You can’t say the last two years were terrible because we didn’t have a QB, not because of Monty. When Monty is the reason we didnt have a QB. BB left him a pro QB on the bench. We didn’t win 3 games last year because Gabe Burgess likes drugs more than football. We lost all those games because our coaches couldn’t attract a quality QB to their system over the course of three recruiting cycles. We know from experience from Rubley to Gus to Fitzgerald to Smith to Kinne to Evans that our campus, tradition and academics will attract, support, and retain championship QBs. If it ain’t working out at QB, it ain’t the school and it offends me when people suggest or infer that. We all know where the buck stops.

But we have no choice right now other than hope for the best. The program is in his hands. I intend to try to enjoy the first few games and see if there is a sliver of a chance this program is capable of generating the goodwill the team is funded to create.
I think we'll be ok.

/end rant

Flash on the iphone video in profile would have semi salvaged the quality.

Last edited:
Time for my goggles.

Maybe the defense is just THAT good.

Time for my goggles.

Maybe the defense is just THAT good.
That's everybody's hope that has an offense beating up on the defense or vice versa consistently in the spring and/or fall. For most teams that is a pipe dream.

That was an oft quoted hope this time last year, as you no doubt recall.

True. The defense was solid last year though. Unfortunately the offense was horrible.

Perhaps both have improved some?

I like Monty, want him to succeed, but its get it done or go time and lots of people have valid criticisms and I think you summed most of them up nicely. I too will try to be positive and buckle up for the ride.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT