ADVERTISEMENT

TU blasts Missouri S&T and appears ready for season -- Larry Lewis

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
If fans like teams that shoot the ball well and score points, Saturday afternoon at the Reynolds Center was the place to be.

Tulsa showered visiting Missouri S&T with three-pointers, fast breaks and jumpers on the way to doubling their opponent’s scoring output in a 113-56 victory in front of approximately 1,000 fans in the exhibition finale.

FULL STORY: Tulsa blasts Missouri S&T

Reactions: cmullinsTU
The thing that I like so far is the new kids from Edmond - Jeffries and Scott. They will definitely contribute. It also looks like Taplin has his shot back. I was glad to see how clean the 3 pt shots were from everyone and they just didn't hug the 3 pt line which should mean they have good range on those 3 pointers.

My main concern is that we may not have the bulk inside right now with the loss of Magnay and Edogi. With WSU in the league now and some of the other programs recruiting them well, we may be falling behind inside a bit.

But we sure did shoot those 3 balls well yesterday. Keep that up and we will see post season play again.

Taplin and Etou both look better and smoother offensively. Corey Henderson will be a monster on both ends.

I feel like we look more complete than we have in a while. We have actual shooters who we can rely on, we have some good basketball IQ, and the new strength coach as made a difference too - you can tell our guys are in great shape and stronger than they were last year.

I do wish we had one true center on the roster - a guy 6’10+ but I think we’ll do fine without one. Geno at 6’9, etou and igbanu both at 6’8 aren’t tiny by any means, but it would be helpful for defensive matchups in conference play to have one more big. I know we’ve been looking at a few bigs, so hopefully we can land one.

I’m really looking forward to Friday, I think this is gonna be a fun team to watch.

The thing that I like so far is the new kids from Edmond - Jeffries and Scott. They will definitely contribute. It also looks like Taplin has his shot back. I was glad to see how clean the 3 pt shots were from everyone and they just didn't hug the 3 pt line which should mean they have good range on those 3 pointers.

My main concern is that we may not have the bulk inside right now with the loss of Magnay and Edogi. With WSU in the league now and some of the other programs recruiting them well, we may be falling behind inside a bit.

But we sure did shoot those 3 balls well yesterday. Keep that up and we will see post season play again.

Taplin and Etou both look better and smoother offensively. Corey Henderson will be a monster on both ends.
Taplin always has had a good shot from the outside...what he lacked/lacks is the confidence to take it. I trust Taplin to take the shot in the right moment. I can't say the same about Etou (not that I don't trust his shot as much as his decision making). There were many times last year we'd be on a little run up 7-8 get a nice defensive stop and then jack a quick contested 3 instead of working the ball for a better possession and quality shot. Players need to remember, playing quality defense is hard work, you've got a team down, now make them work harder. You wear a team down like that and make them play 20-24 seconds of defense and then stick the dagger in them, you'll take the life out of them quick.

I've not witnessed Haith with a quick hook like that. Tubby was always like that. Self could be like that. And Wojcik only allowed one player to touch the ball on offense during key possessions. I think we will see that this is truly Taplin's team this year. I think they all probably deferred to Birt last year but I think it's Taplin's team.

If he's not careful, "Taplins Team" could become "Joiners Team" if Joiner starts hitting shots.

They will both play a lot. Taplin has been in too many clutch situations not to be on the court. He’s a good player. Joiner would be nice to have our there, too.

The most interesting guard question to me right now is how long we make Wheeler vs. Henderson an issue. This board seems to overwhelmingly prefer Henderson and/or playing someone else more minutes than Wheeler. I can’t think of a more interesting rotation question in a long time. The only one that came close was playing Curtis and Harrison together at same time when other team was fouling.

Reactions: ctt8410
The rule of thumb on shooters is when they make a three.......do NOT ever take them out until they miss one. I saw Woj take out Hurtt after he made 2 consecutive threes which was outrageous. Hot shooters don't ever get tired.

The rule of thumb on shooters is when they make a three.......do NOT ever take them out until they miss one. I saw Woj take out Hurtt after he made 2 consecutive threes which was outrageous. Hot shooters don't ever get tired.
Tubby had this rule for Cordell Love. If he hit his first shot you left him in until he asked for a breather.

They will both play a lot. Taplin has been in too many clutch situations not to be on the court. He’s a good player. Joiner would be nice to have our there, too.

The most interesting guard question to me right now is how long we make Wheeler vs. Henderson an issue. This board seems to overwhelmingly prefer Henderson and/or playing someone else more minutes than Wheeler. I can’t think of a more interesting rotation question in a long time. The only one that came close was playing Curtis and Harrison together at same time when other team was fouling.
Hopefully Wheeler is part of Haith's experimental period during exhibitions. Not that I necessarily believe that, but it's a nice thought. One that will probably be shattered at the Lamar game.

Haith is starting Wheeler for rebounding purposes. Would you rather Wheeler be out there with the starters that can make him better or the backups where he'll be expected to score reliably?That could be a turnover nightmare between two freshman guards, Wheeler's iso's into traffic, and Igbanu's tendency to get offensive fouls. It's also a lineup that could get really cold really quickly.

Having one guy on the second team that can come in and reliably make jumpshots is a good idea. I don't mind Wheeler starting. It's not like he has to play a ton of minutes just because he starts.

One important item to note...

Taplin is an elite ball handler...TU’s only elite ball handler.

We haven’t had many of these over the last 15 years. He is a very valuable asset on the floor. We will notice that there will be a huge issue with him off of the floor during games against good teams.

One important item to note...

Taplin is an elite ball handler...TU’s only elite ball handler.

We haven’t had many of these over the last 15 years. He is a very valuable asset on the floor. We will notice that there will be a huge issue with him off of the floor during games against good teams.
I think Joiner is one as well. This kid can do it all.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and Gold*
Haith is starting Wheeler for rebounding purposes. Would you rather Wheeler be out there with the starters that can make him better or the backups where he'll be expected to score reliably?That could be a turnover nightmare between two freshman guards, Wheeler's iso's into traffic, and Igbanu's tendency to get offensive fouls. It's also a lineup that could get really cold really quickly.

Having one guy on the second team that can come in and reliably make jumpshots is a good idea. I don't mind Wheeler starting. It's not like he has to play a ton of minutes just because he starts.

I’d rather Wheeler come out with one minute left in the first half and play Joiner and Jackson before that. I haven’t seen any evidence that Wheeler is actually better at anything than Henderson. He is much worse on offense and so out of control that I cringe when he gets the ball. He’s Glen Andrews without a reliable outside shot. He’s the guard version of Bishop Wheatley on offense. I hope he proves that he can play under control this year. I don’t believe he will. Once a gunner, always a gunner, like Glen Andrews.

I’d rather Wheeler come out with one minute left in the first half and play Joiner and Jackson before that. I haven’t seen any evidence that Wheeler is actually better at anything than Henderson. He is much worse on offense and so out of control that I cringe when he gets the ball. He’s Glen Andrews without a reliable outside shot. He’s the guard version of Bishop Wheatley on offense. I hope he proves that he can play under control this year. I don’t believe he will. Once a gunner, always a gunner, like Glen Andrews.
Your love for Henderson is funny. He can get hot, but if he's not hot, you're going to lose the game if he plays as many minutes as you want him to. He was the worst rebounder on the team last season and one of the worst defensive players. Playing alongside the starters might take the ball out of Wheeler's hands most of the time and let him play as a slashing SF which he can do. Henderson can provide a ton of offense when the opponents don't have their best scorers in the game to light him up on the defensive end. He isn't Bishop Wheatley at all. Wheatley attempted 17 3's his entire career. You might say he's a smaller Rashad Smith?

The Wheatley comparison was that of a black hole on offense that turns your team into playing four on five. I don’t trust Wheeler with the ball ever. He’s be good in an offense where he is the guy, but we have six or seven players who deserve the ball before him.

Henderson was our best shooting guard at the end of last year. I don’t think he’s any worse at defense or anything else than Wheeler. And I’m not advocating he plays 28 minutes. I think Joiner and Jackson need to play because they are damn good. I also want to see us play Etou, Igbanu, and Henderson together as much as possible.

The Wheatley comparison was that of a black hole on offense that turns your team into playing four on five. I don’t trust Wheeler with the ball ever. He’s be good in an offense where he is the guy, but we have six or seven players who deserve the ball before him.

Henderson was our best shooting guard at the end of last year. I don’t think he’s any worse at defense or anything else than Wheeler. And I’m not advocating he plays 28 minutes. I think Joiner and Jackson need to play because they are damn good. I also want to see us play Etou, Igbanu, and Henderson together as much as possible.

That's just not true. Even if you think Wheeler's bad at defense, that still leaves rebounding. Statistically, Henderson is a HORRIBLE rebounder. Like, somebody that would almost have to be running away from rebounds to be that bad. Haith likes him coming off the bench, simple as that.

So let me get this straight, you are saying Haith is doing something right?

I don’t know what stats you are looking at. I don’t think Wheeler is Bill Russell or even Juice Woodard. His defensive move is to foul. Henderson is fine on defense and doesn’t screw up the offense when he’s in. Wheeler’s offense is like what happens if I let my two year old daughter try to play Mario Kart after loading her up on Halloween candy (if I had Mario Kart, the example is made for purpose of a comparable level of zaniness).

Reactions: TU_BLA
So let me get this straight, you are saying Haith is doing something right?

I don’t know what stats you are looking at. I don’t think Wheeler is Bill Russell or even Juice Woodard. His defensive move is to foul. Henderson is fine on defense and doesn’t screw up the offense when he’s in. Wheeler’s offense is like what happens if I let my two year old daughter try to play Mario Kart after loading her up on Halloween candy (if I had Mario Kart, the example is made for purpose of a comparable level of zaniness).
Henderson is NOT fine on defense. He falls asleep all the time. He and Wheeler foul at about the same rate, but Wheeler at least swivels his head once in a while so he doesn't get back door cut. Henderson is a terrible zone defender. I would hope the team itself (not media relations) might keep stats on how guys do in man and zone.

Henderson AT 6'5 only managed to bring down 1.9 rebounds per 40 minutes last season. Corey Haith and 6'0"-on-a-good-day Sterling Taplin were significantly better than that at 4.0 and 4.3 rbds per 40 minutes. Wheeler was up at 5.8 per 40 minutes which was the best for a guard on the team.

I agree completely that his drives are wild. I think he should be used as a slasher like Rashad Smith came to be, making cuts off of post drives by Igbanu, Etou, or Jeffries and as an outlet pass for pick and roll action by Taplin. Wheeler's .300% isn't great from 3, but it's worth something and it will be worth even more now that we have other guys who can score reliably around him. Wheeler is also really good at getting to the line which helps put the other team in foul trouble. That's another plus he has on Henderson. If we can just eliminate Wheeler's junk drives and make them into cuts off the ball we should be in better shape.

Henderson is actually a really good offensive talent who can shoot and create his own shot which demands someone defend him wherever he is in the front court. . He was good coming off the bench last year. I didn't see his defensive efficiency as anything other than neutral...he wasn't great but he wasn't awful. As for rebounding, our rebounding effort as a whole was pretty atrocious last year. You don't know what Henderson's responsibility is as a rebounder in the scheme. If he's outside guarding a shooter, he may be told to release once the shot is away to at least give the option of a quick counter. And you have to stop comparing any guard in Haith's system to the guards that learned D and rebounding under Manning. I don't think Haith messed with the defensive continuity of Juice, Woodard, et. al. because it worked. That system was the bigs clear out and box out the other bigs with guards dropping down to help on the glass. Haith's general system is different. You're going to fight for the rebound in zone or if you're guarding a guy that has gone to the glass to contest for a board. We're not bringing all 5 to the glass every time because we're looking to break if it presents itself.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and Gold*
Henderson is actually a really good offensive talent who can shoot and create his own shot which demands someone defend him wherever he is in the front court. . He was good coming off the bench last year. I didn't see his defensive efficiency as anything other than neutral...he wasn't great but he wasn't awful. As for rebounding, our rebounding effort as a whole was pretty atrocious last year. You don't know what Henderson's responsibility is as a rebounder in the scheme. If he's outside guarding a shooter, he may be told to release once the shot is away to at least give the option of a quick counter. And you have to stop comparing any guard in Haith's system to the guards that learned D and rebounding under Manning. I don't think Haith messed with the defensive continuity of Juice, Woodard, et. al. because it worked. That system was the bigs clear out and box out the other bigs with guards dropping down to help on the glass. Haith's general system is different. You're going to fight for the rebound in zone or if you're guarding a guy that has gone to the glass to contest for a board. We're not bringing all 5 to the glass every time because we're looking to break if it presents itself.

Henderson being used on the fastbreak doesn't really explain him having the poorest rebounding stats on the team. It's not like Taplin was expected to go rebound the ball instead of pushing the fast break. There's no explanation for being that bad of a rebounder at that size. I don't care if you're looking to push the fast break or not. It's not like Wheeler wasn't looking to push it too. As far as the bigs boxing out for rebounds and guards coming in for boards, that's exactly what Haith said he wanted to do this season when asked about our lack of interior depth.

Finally, Juice and Woodard are the same guy. lol

They will both play a lot. Taplin has been in too many clutch situations not to be
on the court. He’s a good player. Joiner would be nice to have our there, too.

The most interesting guard question to me right now is how long we make Wheeler
vs. Henderson an issue. This board seems to overwhelmingly prefer Henderson
and/or playing someone else more minutes than Wheeler. I can’t think of a more
interesting rotation question in a long time. The only one that came close was
playing Curtis and Harrison together at same time when other team was fouling.

Interesting question, indeed....In a perfect world, where only talent mattered, it
would be hard to go beyond Taplin, Scott, Joiner, and Henderson....And even
Jackson, considering his all-around play on both ends....In starting Wheeler,
Haith may be playing to a tender psyche (or whatever) and remembering his
(Wheeler's) garbage man background to get here.....I guess he could still start
him and end up giving him only cameo type minutes later in the game, if his
play doesn't warrant more.......

Whatever the scenario between the senior Jucos, I feel this is our best guard
rotation since 2001-2002, when Harrington, Swanson, Parker and Reid held
sway.....Like our current group, they could all shoot and share the ball......

When the season ended this past March, the fact that we would be really short
of 'bigs' this season may have been the last things on our minds...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT