ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Phipps

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
Phipps gets honors on the Under Armour Circuit.

PWP Basketball
@OklahomaRunPWP
Congratulations to 2020 @TUMBasketball Commit Trey Phipps for being named 16U 2nd Team All UAA. Was the 2nd leading scorer on the circuit. #OKRunPWP

Reactions: bluegold70 and I.I.
Looks like he has a chance to be our best shooter in a very long time. It's looks so easy for him to dribble straight into pull up 3 pointers.

Looks like he has a chance to be our best shooter in a very long time. It's looks so
easy for him to dribble straight into pull up 3 pointers.

Indeedy....He does make it look so easy.....Harrington was really good at that, and Tap,
when he gets into one of his shooting moods (which isn't often enough), can be very
good at the pull-up three also....

Now that we have Trey's commitment, we need a PG to go with him....Our success in
landing a good one in the 2019 class will be uber important to our success in the coming
seasons....

Indeedy....He does make it look so easy.....Harrington was really good at that, and Tap,
when he gets into one of his shooting moods (which isn't often enough), can be very

Now that we have Trey's commitment, we need a PG to go with him....Our success in
landing a good one in the 2019 class will be uber important to our success in the coming
seasons....

I'm still going after Thompson hard in 2020 if I'm Haith. Don't give up after we've put so much in. Maybe something falls through with Kansas and they don't get the check in on time... ;-)

I think taking a flyer on a guy like Antonio Gordon might payoff in 2019.

seasons....

I'm assuming Trey plays a great deal at the point. Are you seeing him as a #2?

I'm assuming Trey plays a great deal at the point. Are you seeing him as a #2?
He could probably play as a PG, but we don't know how his handles and passing skills translate. Haven't seen him slash very much at all or run the pick and roll in any of the videos he's in.

I see him like a taller Phil Forte. It will be interesting to see how he develops over the next two years. He needs to get in the weight room. Can't wait until we get him in there.

I've seen him play a lot more at point than I have the off-guard. His handle and passing skills are D1 imo. I realize the recruiting publications list him as a SG. However, I think he can play point at the college level as well. Assume some of where he plays will be determined on who we can sign at the guard positions going forward.

I've seen him play a lot more at point than I have the off-guard. His handle and passing skills
are D1 imo. I realize the recruiting publications list him as a SG. However, I think he can
play point at the college level as well. Assume some of where he plays will be determined
on who we can sign at the guard positions going forward.

Good comments--While Harrington, as a senior, led the team in scoring from the point, you
wouldn't usually want to saddle your best shooter with PG responsibilities.....If he can play
the position, and can give your starter a rest, that would be great, but as a starter at PG,
some shooters would tend to get gun shy.....

We are going to badly need a starting PG for the 2019-2020 season (and beyond).....I really
hope we find one in the 2019 class.....

Of course, some of it depends on where Trey wants to play!:)

I'm intrigued to see how Barnes performs since it seems we might want him to be a back up ball handler to Tap. I wonder if he could develop into a starting PG. Maybe he shows us something this season and we go after some other positions instead.

We've yet to see Barnes & Joiner(after he takes his sophomore leap) play the point. We might already have a starting pg on the roster.

I agree that you still make Thompson a top priority. Bill gets some 5 star commitments so you never know.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I think we might still see something from Darien Jackson as well. Don't count him out.
Gmoney4WW said:
We've yet to see Barnes & Joiner(after he takes his sophomore leap) play the point. We might
already have a starting pg on the roster.
Valid points, but I am hopeful we can sign a PG that has been noted as such since he was
a HS fr. or soph., and has the intuits and instincts that the position demands....Tap IS a PG,
and his presence has been huge in what success we have had over the last two years.....

Someone that 'can play the position' vs. someone that actually is a PG can sometimes be
worlds apart.....I would be hugely surprised if we have a true PG on the roster at present....

Valid points, but I am hopeful we can sign a PG that has been noted as such since he was
a HS fr. or soph., and has the intuits and instincts that the position demands....Tap IS a PG,
and his presence has been huge in what success we have had over the last two years.....

Someone that 'can play the position' vs. someone that actually is a PG can sometimes be
worlds apart.....I would be hugely surprised if we have a true PG on the roster at present....
Jackson was a PG in HS and he was in the Rivals top 150 for a significant period of time.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Jackson was a PG in HS and he was in the Rivals top 150 for a significant period of
time.
His videos showed him driving to the bucket time after time....Showed no outside
shot or assist game....He is a quick athlete that can really take it to the hole....A D-1
PG?? He certainly hasn't shown it yet.....

Reminds me of a kid that some people here didn't think was a "D-1" PG. He plays for the suns now.
I actually think Jackson's perimeter shot might be even worse than Shaq's was. Jackson is quick and is a + defender, but he is not an elite defender like Shaq was out of the box.

I actually think Jackson's perimeter shot might be even worse than Shaq's was. Jackson is quick and is a + defender, but he is not an elite defender like Shaq was out of the box.

I wouldn’t write off Jackson, but he doesn’t have Shaq’s long arms or freak athletic ability. Shaq Harrison was a player from day 1. Many just never understood what we had. Only TU player to ever start every game for four years.

I wouldn’t write off Jackson, but he doesn’t have Shaq’s long arms or freak athletic ability. Shaq Harrison was a player from day 1. Many just never understood what we had. Only TU player to ever start every game for four years.
I love Shaq. But he did have an added benefit of having zero experienced PG's in front of him when he first got here. I'm not sure if he would have been a starter had a kid like Taplin been a senior during his freshman year.

If Jackson works on his shot he could easily be a starter during his career.

Reactions: Rippin
I love Shaq. But he did have an added benefit of having zero experienced PG's in front of him when he first got here. I'm not sure if he would have been a starter had a kid like Taplin been a senior during his freshman year.

If Jackson works on his shot he could easily be a starter during his career.

Shaq was so good he would have started somewhere. Other than Taplin, who wouldn’t have been behind him on last year’s team?

I wouldn’t write off Jackson, but he doesn’t have Shaq’s long arms or freak athletic ability.
Shaq Harrison was a player from day 1. Many just never understood what we had. Only
TU player to ever start every game for four years.

I wouldn't write off either Jackson, or Banres, or Joiner....The point I have been trying
to make is simply this.....The odds of a Shaq, who was lightly recruited as a BB player,
and certainly not as a PG, succeeding at that position well enough to play it in the NBA,
are somewhere in the Lotto range....I was/am a huge fan, and have applauded every
step of his success.....

When it comes to Jackson, Barnes, or Joiner, they represent perhaps three of the better
athletes on the team.....After watching Joiner last season, and mostly cameos by Jackson,
and never having heard of any PG exploits by Barnes in the past, I would give odds against
any of the three making it as a starting PG in the AAC on a winning team........Not in the
near run anyway....I would say the odds are against them.....

Can they play point? Yes, I think so....Well enough to win? I'm afraid that's the problem....
Against the better teams in the AAC, we have only had success in the past when we have
had great PG play.....(flash back to Henderson and Wheeler trying to give Tap a rest last
season before Joiner gained some experience)...The top three or four teams in the AAC
out recruit us on an 'athletic' basis, and most generally in the "bigs" catagory.....Our best
hope for victory lies in the gamesmanship that can only be provided by an intuitive PG....

For us to gamble (needlessly, really) that one of these fine young men will make it
successfully as a PG, makes little sense.....If they do, fine!! However, let's get a bona fide
PG prospect in the 2019 class, and proceed from there!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't write off either Jackson, or Banres, or Joiner....The point I have been trying
to make is simply this.....The odds of a Shaq, who was lightly recruited as a BB player,
and certainly not as a PG, succeeding at that position well enough to play it in the NBA,
are somewhere in the Lotto range....I was/am a huge fan, and have applauded every
step of his success.....

When it comes to Jackson, Barnes, or Joiner, they represent perhaps three of the better
athletes on the team.....After watching Joiner last season, and mostly cameos by Jackson,
and never having heard of any PG exploits by Barnes in the past, I would give odds against
any of the three making it as a starting PG in the AAC on a winning team........Not in the
near run anyway....I would say the odds are against them.....

Can they play point? Yes, I think so....Well enough to win? I'm afraid that's the problem....
Against the better teams in the AAC, we have only had success in the past when we have
had great PG play.....(flash back to Henderson and Wheeler trying to give Tap a rest last
season before Joiner gained some experience)...The top three or four teams in the AAC
out recruit us on an 'athletic' basis, and most generally in the "bigs" catagory.....Our best
hope for victory lies in the gamesmanship that can only be provided by an intuitive PG....

For us to gamble (needlessly, really) that one of these fine young men will make it
successfully as a PG, makes little sense.....Let's get a bonafid PG prospect in the 2019
class, and proceed from there.......
Taplin was not any better as a freshman than Joiner during the first part of the season. You've already put a ceiling on them(at least as a PG) before they have played a single minute their sophomore years.

Of course recruit a pg hard now.(nobody said not to) But if you haven't received a PG commitment in the fall and one or two of them begin to shine during the season, then back off and go harder at a position where we have higher need. Nobody was saying not to go after a PG because of the three players potential. Stop the hard recruit when and if you know you already have one on the roster.

I don't agree with that at all! If you treat the PG position as you do the other positions
on the team, you are making the same mistake you would if you treated the QB in FB
the same ways, with the same priorities, you do the other positions.....Most really good
PGs have a paper trail that dates back to the seventh or eiighth grade.....That anyone
would minimize the importance of this position on the team bothers me....We have an
option in this recruiting class to upgrade the potential of this position.....I can't imigane
anyone being against that.....

The truth is, and it is the truth, we cannot win in this conference, with anything less
than stellar PG play......

Maybe it's me, but I don't think so.....As a group of posters, it seems, taken as a
whole, our posters seem to feel that we can develop a winning PG from our present
roster......That's a huge gamble that we have no reason to take....

Please....Let/s recruit a PG that is a PG, one that we don't have to have to develop..
This seems so simple, that I'm through with it.....Please argue among yourselves.....

Last edited:
Taplin was not any better as a freshman than Joiner during the first part of the season. You've
already put a ceiling on them(at least as a PG) before they have played a single minute their
sophomore

Bull:crap:! I haven't put a limitation on anyone.....Neither has any of the players discussed proven
they are capable of playing at the level we need our point guards to play.....Please read my
posts and tell me know where I have limited anyone....The only limitations are the skill sets,
including the intuits that are required to play the PG position, of the players we are discussing.....

I want to win......Any chance we have to minimize the risk of less than high performance at
any position on the team should be explored......

When you reread my posts, you will find that is exactly what I am shooting for....Please don't
put words in my mouth............

Reactions: rusty-c
Can they play point? Yes, I think so....Well enough to win? I'm afraid that's the problem...
Please don't get defensive at any contradiction. They were freshmen. As I said, Taplin did not play any better than joiner as a freshman before he hit that wall later in the season. Don't put words in my mouth...

I just want to see us have an impact freshman that can really make a difference right away. Kind of like Houston had with Armoni Brooks.

Reactions: I.I.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT