ADVERTISEMENT

This is the Republican Party

Everybody does not have access to a private retirement account. Everybody does not work for a corporation.

You have selective hearing.
Without social security it is inevitable that many low income elderly will end up in extreme poverty. You can say they should have done this or that, but it is inevitable.

One needs to think about that. I suppose some folks will feel this is ok - that these folks have brought it on themselves. Certainly though we would see societal consequences that are very visible. The effects might impact your affect.

That's reality. The "magic" of the S &P 500 over the long run won't cure it.

Last edited:
I
"designed to provide money into retirement"
Usung the current fica paycheck deduction ( any income level), Government social security only provides monthly about 2/3 of what a private retirement account would.
Why don’t you just sign them all up for dog track gambling while you’re at it. Speculation, while it can help supplement retirement if done intelligently, is not a game that everyone of every variable intelligence level should be encouraged to play, and it’s not something you can prevent them from playing.

In spite of lower returns, the government is a much more stable and risk free entity than the stock market.

It was sold as a way to alleviate elderly poverty and reduce strain on the elderly's families during the depression.

Someone making not much more than minimum wage most of their life, is not going to be able to support themselves in their old age, no matter how much you think they can save.
Why is there an entire industry (a very lucrative one, at that) of financial advisors, advising people how to save money out of their disposable incomes for retirement? Not only this, but the federal government via the SEC provides tax structure, among other rules & regs, for these type of purchases.

Why don’t you just sign them all up for dog track gambling while you’re at it. Speculation, while it can help supplement retirement if done intelligently, is not a game that everyone of every variable intelligence level should be encouraged to play, and it’s not something you can prevent them from playing.

In spite of lower returns, the government is a much more stable and risk free entity than the stock market.
Providing they don’t find some other way to tax you, like printing too much money. Also, can I give more of my income to the federal government than is required for social security & if I do, will I see not just a relatively similar but damn near equal return?

Speaking of social security, a hacking group is claiming to have stolen hundreds of millions of SS numbers and made them available on the dark web.

but the gov has squandered the money on other things

I
"designed to provide money into retirement"
Usung the current fica paycheck deduction ( any income level), Government social security only provides monthly about 2/3 of what a private retirement account would.
Also it is a way to make any employer(corporate or not) contribute equal to the employee, for the fund. That isn't there for all small businesses except with SS. Businesses and employees are both required to pay this. Not optional. That is necessary for low wage employees, on both their parts.(Employee & Employer) The not optional part makes it like a tax for retirement/disability. That's not a bad thing at low wages.

Last edited:
The median retirement savings for baby boomers is $202K and the average social security payment is less than $2k per month. With a withdrawal rate of 4% on savings, this comes out to about $32K per year...as a median. Half of Americans have less. Cutting social security makes sense..... if you ignore the sursequent costs that it would create.

The median retirement savings for baby boomers is $202K and the average social security payment is less than $2k per month. With a withdrawal rate of 4% on savings, this comes out to about $32K per year...as a median. Half of Americans have less. Cutting social security makes sense..... if you ignore the sursequent costs that it would create.
so it's up to the gov to provide?

Depends on the kind of world you want. Do you want an explosion of poverty among the aged? There is no Libertarian utopia.

Reactions: TU 1978
There you go. Your are willing to have them in poverty. Charities could never keep up.
if the government would butt out of social engineering and go back to what our government should do. there would be a lot more local charities to accommodate this.

The gov solution of One size fits all doesn't work

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
if the government would butt out of social engineering and go back to what our government should do. there would be a lot more local charities to accommodate this.

So just cut government programs and charities will make everything better. I think you really believe this. That patriots like yourself will mobilize and take care of all the elderly needs.

Hard to argue with that? Or maybe better to say it is pointless to argue with that.

I agree with our AGs old statement that we all need a little Republican and a little Democrat in us.

Too much Republican and you become callous to the needs and suffering of those without the means or talents to make it on their own.

Too much Democrat and you snuff out people's natural drive to set and attain personal goals to advance in this world and build wealth.

It's all a balancing act and different stances are needed in different circumstances.

why do we have charities for soldiers and first responders while people who never contributed to any thing get FREE government money

You do realize that there was a time before all these programs came about right?

And the reason they came about was because the charities you espouse weren’t doing nearly enough to actually make a dent in the nation’s problems.

How do you not understand that many of the programs that were put in place were put there to try and address issues that were pervasive? I’m not saying they were all successful in doing so, but just telling the government to “butt out” and going back to the bad situation we were in previously is not the answer.

“We’re not going back, asshole”

why do we have charities for soldiers and first responders while people who never contributed to any thing get FREE government money
Soldiers are generally quite fairly compensated for their service by society, though their healthcare system needs improvement.

People who never contributed anything still deserve basic human decency. Jesus didn’t cast aside the lame and the blind just because they hadn’t fulfilled his personal work requirements for benefits.

Reactions: drboobay
Soldiers are generally quite fairly compensated for their service by society, though their healthcare system needs improvement.

People who never contributed anything still deserve basic human decency. Jesus didn’t cast aside the lame and the blind just because they hadn’t fulfilled his personal work requirements for benefits.
it's not a fair system that rewards slackers over doers.

Labeling all the people who are disabled as a slacker. What a nice ass you show. It isn't a matter of how fair the system is. The veteran's health care should be better, but that doesn't say that SS and disability should be discontinued. You see it as a competition. It's not one or the other.

Last edited:
Well, let’s compare what we’ve each done for society. I would be willing to bet that I’ve done more dispite our differences in age…. And having said that, I don’t think “slackers” like you should get benefits if everything is going to be contribution based….

Please feel free to mail your SS check to a charity of my choosing at your earliest convenience.

Facetiousness aside… sometimes you want to help those who you call “slackers” so that someday they or their heirs might be “doers”

Last edited:
Reactions: bluegold70
Well, let’s compare what we’ve each done for society. I would be willing to bet that I’ve done more dispite our differences in age…. And having said that, I don’t think “slackers” like you should get benefits if everything is going to be contribution based….

Please feel free to mail your SS check to a charity of my choosing at your earliest convenience.

Facetiousness aside… sometimes you want to help those who you call “slackers” so that someday they or their heirs might be “doers”
No I will not send my ss check any where. It's is money that I EARNED, unlike many that get handout from the gov.

You do realize that there was a time before all these programs came about right?

And the reason they came about was because the charities you espouse weren’t doing nearly enough to actually make a dent in the nation’s problems.

How do you not understand that many of the programs that were put in place were put there to try and address issues that were pervasive? I’m not saying they were all successful in doing so, but just telling the government to “butt out” and going back to the bad situation we were in previously is not the answer.

“We’re not going back, asshole”
Back to what?

Before these programs, single mothers were likely white, often having left their drunken husband, or the cheating husband left them, or they were widowed.

Less than 25% of black mothers were single mothers. Now, decades later if it’s not obvious how much they’ve helped black children, re: motherhood >75% of black mothers are single mothers & that number is actually UNDERSTATED- a another result of a separate policy implemented by the same Party as approximately half of all black U.S. babies are aborted. Democrats sure are great for the blacks peoples

Trump backs down on how he should be able to control interest rates. Then he follows this with a big promise about how he is going to bring prices way down. That's about as viable, & economically sound as Kamalas taking patents promise.

Trump backs down on how he should be able to control interest rates. Then he follows this with a big promise about how he is going to bring prices way down. That's about as viable, & economically sound as Kamalas taking patents promise.
Assume he failed to mention the way to bring down interest rates is to slow economic growth?

Assume he failed to mention the way to bring down interest rates is to slow economic growth?
Both interest & prices mean slowing down economic growth. So his rantings, ravings, and promises are to bring on a recession? Kamala too. It's ridiculous how much they are ignoring the side effects of their promises. As long as it sounds good to the ignorant, they'll use it as a campaign promise.

Reactions: TUMU
Both interest & prices mean slowing down economic growth. So his rantings, ravings, and promises are to bring on a recession? Kamala too. It's ridiculous how much they are ignoring the side effects of their promises. As long as it sounds good to the ignorant, they'll use it as a campaign promise.
Politicians have been getting elected for years by relying on the stupidity of the American people

Great question. Any advice would be appreciated :). I honestly have no idea. Endorsements mean zero to me.
Knowing your political philosophy / tendencies, I don’t know what I would do if I were you. Luckily it doesn’t matter too much since you’re in OK

Knowing your political philosophy / tendencies, I don’t know what I would do if I were you. Luckily it doesn’t matter too much since you’re in OK
We’re running a $2T a year deficit and one party is wanting more tax cuts and the other is pushing new spending programs. WTF is wrong with these people and shame on the media for not calling them all out.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Fortunately it is the fed that has the interest rates file. It's mainly blah blah blah we are hearing as long as we don't shock the market with a huge stimulus or massive tax rise.

Fortunately it is the fed that has the interest rates file. It's mainly blah blah blah we are hearing as long as we don't shock the market with a huge stimulus or massive tax rise.
That's the reason Trump back off his earlier statements of him saying he should have the right to control interest rates. He knew he couldn't, and was doing himself harm with statements that he should be able to. It was a statement that he could never back up.

We’re running a $2T a year deficit and one party is wanting more tax cuts and the other is pushing new spending programs. WTF is wrong with these people and shame on the media for not calling them all out.
Kamala and the Master Command Sargeant Major just promised middle class tax cuts..

• Sad
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Hear me out…. If the Dems win the Pres and Pubs win Congress they will probably use reducing spending as a political tool for the next cycle like they did with Obama…. At least that way you would get what you want. If the Dems or pubs win both they will spend more.

Personally I’m hoping for a split government (R Senate, D Pres) with a close house distribution. Kamala is a bit to off the deep end of liberalism for my tastes, but she’s better than Trump

P.S. I don’t think Trump winning the pres and the Dems taking Congress would be good as the Dems would cave to tax cuts. They’re spineless.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT