ADVERTISEMENT

The Stupid Award

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
I haven't given the Stupid Award in awhile and so let's issue one to Daylight Savings Time.

There is a German story of the Kaiser visiting a military base and liking a nice flower bed. A guard was posted, years later a general final pulled the guard who was standing in two feet of snow before the flower bed.

Perhaps Daylight Savings Time made some sense 70 years ago during WWII. Fast forward to now. All the lights on streets, highways and parking lots come on by photo eye. Wal-Mart, Resors, and QT never turn their lights off. Most work places have their lights on during the day and there are even rules that require so many lumens of light for many kinds of work. Most houses built since the energy crisis have fewer and smaller windows than they did when DST was conceived. Makes for better thermal insulation.

But people like DST because in the Summer it gives you more time to do stuff. Doing stuff often involves going somewhere. Heck, you have time to go to the lake and fish a bit after work. Just wait till the next time the power is out and see how many times you flick on that light in the day.

I submit that Daylight Savings Time saves no energy. In some cases and in some places DST may actually cause more energy consumption. People may go for a walk in the park, but they usually drive to the park. I think mine is the only house on the block that doesn't provide a light for thieves to work by at night. My dog has great hearing.

So the Stupid Award goes to Daylight Savings Time. SALUTE!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT