ADVERTISEMENT

The right to privacy

There are millions of Americans who would disagree that they weren’t forced to take a vaccine. A vaccine at the time which didn’t prevent infection or spread of the virus one was being vaccinated. Sounds nuttier every time I say it. Yet it not only occurred but there are still those who support the action.
My problem is with the conspiracy theories out there about the vaccines. In the 50's though most of the 90's people would have done it for the most part, voluntarily.

My problem is with the conspiracy theories out there about the vaccines. In the 50's though most of the 90's people would have done it for the most part, voluntarily.
I don’t disagree there. I received the vaccine and a booster because I looked at the scientific data and believed it was the smart decision for my health as well as the health of those around me.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I don’t disagree there. I received the vaccine and a booster because I looked at the scientific data and believed it was the smart decision for my health as well as the health of those around me.
Disinformation regarding the vaccine and alternatives was the real issue, and the lack of any real repercussions for publicly promoting false information that detracted from public health.

Something like 75-80% of adults got vaccinated before any mandate went into effect, and those numbers skewed older approaching 100% among the elderly. The mandate really wasn't very consequential. It was more of a political football for both sides than anything else

Something like 75-80% of adults got vaccinated before any mandate went into effect, and those numbers skewed older approaching 100% among the elderly. The mandate really wasn't very consequential. It was more of a political football for both sides than anything else
Just going by my redneck family testimonial evidence. My two redneck uncles who are both over 65, did not get vaccinated. But they were there(D.C.) in spirit on Jan 6, if that tells you anything.

Is right to life Or just the right to birth? The abortion ban will affect poor mothers the most. By requiring all pregnancies be carried to term, what obligations does the state have after birth? Esp in cases of rape and incest?

Mississippi, Whose Abortion Law Is Likely to Overturn Roe, Fails to Offer Medicaid Extension for New Parents

If the state wants to mandate that women carry to term, then the women should be bringing a suit against the state for compensation for the medical cost of the pregnancy and the extra hazard associated with the requirements as well as lost income due to inability to work certain jobs.

These states better be expanding medicaid.

And it shouldn’t just be for women who are in poor situations either. Any mother who doesn’t plan on keeping the infant once delivered should be compensated for the states’ negligent requirements.

Reactions: TU 1978 and watu05
So the NYTs after supporting a mandate for a vaccine (which didn’t prevent infection) if you wanted to keep your job is now worried about privacy and data collection 😂😂😂😂😂

the decision has nothing to do wiith abortion. It's based on the constitution; it does not give congress the athority to write the law. even RBG questioned the athority of congress to pass such a bill
If you believe that I have ocean front property in Arizona I'd like you to take a look at.

This is 100% about control and who is paying the most money to have their agenda enforced.

the decision has nothing to do wiith abortion. It's based on the constitution; it does not give congress the athority to write the law. even RBG questioned the athority of congress to pass such a bill
What sort of gibberish is this?

Reactions: watu05
according to rbg roe v wade had no constutional basis and should be overturned
You really should quit reading nothing but those cherry picking articles. The ones that don't go in depth on an issue because they don't want to delve too deep. She didn't say she believed it was unconstitutional, she just felt it was better suited to another argument on it's constitutionality than the one used in the original case. I don't necessarily agree with her argument, but at least I know what it is.

For those of you who tried to assure me of the safety of 'freedoms' that were previously interpreted to be guaranteed by the right to privacy interpretation of the 14th amendment....

Please tell me what the Republican Congressional block of the House of Representatives are doing voting solidly against protecting access to gay marriage, contraceptives, birth control.... etc...

How many of those same Republicans do you think would vote against a similar bill stopping laws against sodomy? interracial marriage? My guess is upwards of 170 in the current House makeup.... and probably more if more Republicans get elected in November.

Make no mistake, there's only one party that's actually coming to take fundamental freedoms away from US citizens.... and it's not the Democrats.

• Sad
Reactions: watu05
Republicans voted just a couple years ago to make birth control available over the counter and were blocked by Dems. The reason no one wants to vote on this is because they know it’s a distraction. Keep hyperventilating though

Probably the same reason the Dems voted against a bill which would prohibit the US from selling petroleum to China…election year gimmick bills designed to create a campaign issue where no current actual issue exists.

That said, I would have voted to codify. However, I’m a big supporter of personal freedoms regardless of what side of the political spectrum the freedom lies.

Last edited:
Republicans voted just a couple years ago to make birth control available over the counter and were blocked by Dems. The reason no one wants to vote on this is because they know it’s a distraction. Keep hyperventilating though
I agree. That is wrong. It is not; however, a freedom that people have already enjoyed that is being taken away from them.

Probably the same reason the Dems voted against a bill which would prohibit the US from selling petroleum to China…election year gimmick bills designed to create a campaign issue where no current actual issue exists.

That said, I would have voted to codify. However, I’m a big supporter of personal freedoms regardless of what side of the political spectrum the freedom lies.
You mean like the Trump administration did?

You mean like the Trump administration did?
Surely I don’t have to point out the differences in the market then versus now . You don’t sell petroleum to China when you are facing potential shortages at home. At this point with China’s actions regarding climate initiatives, you don’t sell China petroleum based solely on that. Surprised you disagree with such an approach. Figured you would support withholding oil to pressure China on the climate front…and you accused me of supporting the Chinese . Go figure

Surely I don’t have to point out the differences in the market then versus now . You don’t sell petroleum to China when you are facing potential shortages at home. At this point with China’s actions regarding climate initiatives, you don’t sell China petroleum based solely on that. Surprised you disagree with such an approach. Figured you would support withholding oil to pressure China on the climate front…and you accused me of supporting the Chinese . Go figure
If anything I just think that the US shouldn't put a law on its books limiting its customer base in case another oil glut comes along (which it inevitably will).

Of course we could repeal the law, but there's no reason to make it in the first place. We should just expect that our leaders don't sell valuable commodities from strategic reserves during times when those reserves are needed unless they have an extraordinary excuse for doing so.

Requiring the oil to stay in the U.S. would be pointless and could be easily evaded, said Clark Williams-Derry, an energy finance analyst with the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis. An American company could buy oil at auction while selling the equivalent amount from its own reserves to a foreign country, he said.

Covid public health measures gave people choices: no one was physically forced to wear a mask or get vaccinated, nor criminalized. Is isolation Coercive? Yes but isolation and quarantines have been the basic public health tool since civilization began.
Taking away a woman’s command of her own body has zero to do with public health nor does it benefit society. Abortion in the US has been accepted within limits since the Puritans and only became a political football when the AMA and it’s male doctors decided to run midwives out of business.
As for right to life, it’s really right to birth, because at that point the right wing takes an immediate exit. Maternity leave, childcare,? Forget it. The states opposing abortions have much higher rates of infant mortality and women dying in child birth.
A good example of why old white guys shouldn't be telling women what to do with their own bodies:

That's what happens when one party feels they must choose the most opposite pole on principle. They ignore the realities of realistic situations.

Reactions: drboobay
A good example of why old white guys shouldn't be telling women what to do with their own bodies:

Only old white guys? So all I need is a young Hispanic woman to tell people what to do

The speed at which a certain group of very online people have adopted the exact same dumb vocabulary in unison is really something. You no longer have the ability to speak about things without referencing your power hierarchy

Will they take your Lib card away if you fail to repeatedly say certain liberal “catch phrases”?

There was never a government vaccine mandate for Covid.

Some employers and facilities had mandates and I say it is their prerogative. That is the old business friendly, entrepreneurial Republican in me. If you don't like it, don't frequent the establishment or work there.

The trickier part is GOVERNMENT RESTRICTIONS on unvaccinated people doing certain things. Certainly this may be required at times for public health imperatives but we have been past that for a long while with Covid.

Some employers and facilities had mandates and I say it is their prerogative. That is the old business friendly, entrepreneurial Republican in me. If you don't like it, don't frequent the establishment or work there.

The trickier part is GOVERNMENT RESTRICTIONS on unvaccinated people doing certain things. Certainly this may be required at times for public health imperatives but we have been past that for a long while with Covid.
OSHA absolutely did draft a vaccine mandate for companies with over 100 employees. Said mandate was rule unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. A mandate for a vaccine which did not prevent or significantly slow the spread of Covid at the time the government sought to enforce the same btw.

people were forced to get a covid shot or get fired. hell even today i cant enter a Hospital without a mask. businesses were force to space people out; resturants took out tables, airlines didnt sell middle seats, cruise lines canceled cruises, entertainers canceled events, indivuals were forced to hibernate.

people were forced to get a covid shot or get fired. hell even today i cant enter a Hospital without a mask. businesses were force to space people out; resturants took out tables, airlines didnt sell middle seats, cruise lines canceled cruises, entertainers canceled events, indivuals were forced to hibernate.
If people were at risk of firing over masks, you can damn well bet there would have been lawsuits. I'd say don't talk about what you don't know, but we darn well know how much that would do. When do you not talk about things you don't know.

OSHA absolutely did draft a vaccine mandate for companies with over 100 employees. Said mandate was rule unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. A mandate for a vaccine which did not prevent or significantly slow the spread of Covid at the time the government sought to enforce the same btw.
Point well taken. But I believe the only mask mandates that are still in effect were those forbidding local governments in several states from mandating masks.

Point well taken. But I believe the only mask mandates that are still in effect were those forbidding local governments in several states from mandating masks.
Still a limited number of mandates out there. I’ve linked a list. Based on the data regarding the effectiveness of these mandates most don’t seem to make a lot of sense. Especially if people aren’t going to wear proper fitting N95s.

Still a limited number of mandates out there. I’ve linked a list. Based on the data regarding the effectiveness of these mandates most don’t seem to make a lot of sense. Especially if people aren’t going to wear proper fitting N95s.

Does the list also include mask mandate prohibitions? Serious question and I don't feel like going through it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT