ADVERTISEMENT

The Reason we Lost

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Is simple. Got beat 42-28 on the boards. And Haith kept our leading rebounder on the bench though Martins had 7 rebounds in limited minutes.

No other reasons needed. Rebounds, rebounds , rebounds. Maybe the loss of Magnay will hurt more than we thought. But we should at least play our best rebounder.

We played like garbage for most of the game. Lamar owned us on both ends of the court. My pappy always said, when you play to lose, don't be surprised when you do!

Here’s the thing I don’t get: this is so obvious. What is the advantage you get with the other players out there? The lineup I wanted, and thought we would play with in crunch time, has Jefferies, Etou, and Igbanu in together. That would have been long enough to cause them problems. Apparently we don’t practice that one.

Reactions: cmullinsTU and I.I.
This is for Frank's comparison:

Igbanu 23 minutes (no foul trouble) 12 points and 7 rebounds.
Etou 22 minutes 2 points and 3 rebounds

And 5 missed layups by Tap who did NOT share the ball.

I want to echo a Gold* concern. I was sick every time Jeffries and Igbanu subbed for each other. Most of the time the second half they were our two best players and to bench one is sickening.

I think you play Jefferies, Etou, Igbanu, Taplin, and Scott/ Joiner/ Henderson at crunch time. But you have to have Igbanu and I’d have a hard time taking Joiner and Jefferies our right now.

Apparently Haith is afraid to play Artison, who played well in the 1st half when called- if you are afraid to play a player they shouldn't be on your team- Jeffries, Igbanu, Etou should be on the court at the same time- no reason not to- and Artison can come in if one of them fouls out, period- these guys need to accept that they will foul out- it just happens when you go after the ball and play hard- refs blow the whistle at contact- so be ready to use all 5 fouls

Haith said the reason he didn't start Igbanu is that he didn't want him to foul out. He has fouled out 3 times in his career of 32 games. The first possession of the game probably should go to him for a high percentage shot or foul.

We got within one and started shooting (and missing) threes when the lane was open for everybody to drive and we were in the 2 shot bonus. Very poor decision. Lamar lost their big lead due to missing threes and their coach made them go inside most of the rest of the game where they scored or were fouled. This one is mostly on coaching. I really liked Joiner and Artison today. They kept us within 10 the first half. Joiner made some freshman passing mistakes but is really good. Artison much improved and finally played in the paint some. Taplin scored a lot but those 4-5 layups he missed were like turnovers. He forgot he was a point guard on the assist line.

Haith said the reason he didn't start Igbanu is that he didn't want him to foul out. He has fouled out 3 times in his career of 32 games. The first possession of the game probably should go to him for a high percentage shot or foul.

We got within one and started shooting (and missing) threes when the lane was open for everybody to drive and we were in the 2 shot bonus. Very poor decision. Lamar lost their big lead due to missing threes and their coach made them go inside most of the rest of the game where they scored or were fouled. This one is mostly on coaching. I really liked Joiner and Artison today. They kept us within 10 the first half. Joiner made some freshman passing mistakes but is really good. Artison much improved and finally played in the paint some. Taplin scored a lot but those 4-5 layups he missed were like turnovers. He forgot he was a point guard on the assist line.
As I mentioned in the pay board. The reason we lost was jacking 3's. We got down by 1 only by going inside and a 3 by Tap and Henderson. We cut the lead to 1 with Lamars best inside guy fouled out and the other 2 bigs with 4 fouls. We come out of a time out and run a play for Etou to get open for a 3. Of course he missed and we never recovered. There is no question we needed to go inside. Are there not coaches sitting next to Haith telling him the foul issue on the other team? That was totally a coaching blunder IMO.

Way way way too many lost three point plays at the rim.

We have to be stronger.

Reactions: TU_BLA
In general this team is small and their defense sucks badly. Plus in this game they could not hit shots when they had to. Its not hard to figure out why they lost.

The only coach that actually tries to get on these guys is the new guy from OSU. Haith and his buddies(including Shea) just act like its no big deal to get beat.

In the last minutes the players stopped going inside and started jacking up 3's and missing most of them. Doing that Tulsa lost their momentum in the comeback. I knew if Tulsa continued to shoot from outside with 3.5 minutes to go they would lose. This really isn't a good shooting team from outside in crunch situations. They are just not that good.

Whats the difference between fouling out and sitting on the bench to keep from fouling out?

One is disqualified from the rest of the game. He can no longer impact the game.

The other can come back at any point. He can still impact the game.

:)

Whats the difference between fouling out and sitting on the bench to keep from fouling out?
Totally agree. No difference. Unless you are in a dog fight and have to have a certain player at the end of a close game, the coach is making what he doesn't want to happen.....happen.

I’ve always taken he approach to play your best players as much as you can. Take them out if they are tired or obviously in a slump.

I would not take players out for foul problems unless we have a good lead. Taking out good players with “potential “ foul problems when behind leads to being more behind.

This pendulum will swing just like the 4th down “go for it” plays are coming back in football where in the past everybody punted sometimes even on third down.

Statisticians will show that usually the time sitting out on the bench is longer than the time after disqualification. And most times there is NO disqualification. The Tubby/Pooh episode against Northern Iowa is a textbook example for why you shouldn’t sit a crucial player in the first half with 2 fouls anymore.

I’ve always taken he approach to play your best players as much as you can. Take them out if they are tired or obviously in a slump.

I would not take players out for foul problems unless we have a good lead. Taking out good players with “potential “ foul problems when behind leads to being more behind.

This pendulum will swing just like the 4th down “go for it” plays are coming back in football where in the past everybody punted sometimes even on third down.

Statisticians will show that usually the time sitting out on the bench is longer than the time after disqualification. And most times there is NO disqualification. The Tubby/Pooh episode against Northern Iowa is a textbook example for why you shouldn’t sit a crucial player in the first half with 2 fouls anymore.

Here’s a recent study on just this. It appears Tubby has changed his mind in his old age.

A lot of good coaches look at it both ways. I feel a lot depends on the player. Bigs tend to pick up fouls easier on the inside. Pooh was one of those players, like many other guards that could play with 3 and 4 fouls.

https://kenpom.com/blog/foul-trouble-data-by-coach/

Here’s the thing I don’t get: this is so obvious. What is the advantage you get
with the other players out there? The lineup I wanted, and thought we would
play with in crunch time, has Jefferies, Etou, and Igbanu in together. That
would have been long enough to cause them problems. Apparently we don’t
practice that one.
Similar to my thoughts in that each year he has been here, his early season
M.O. is to try almost every possible line-up combination in practice, as well as
in the early games....While he apparently thinks this will help develop depth and
confidence in the non-starting members of the squad, I think it delays team
cohesiveness, especially among the seven or eight players that will be in our
game rotations.....Early each season, we appear disorganized, and not as tight
knit as we should be (especially this season, with the talent and experience we
have)....Ergo, the early losses to near nobodies that we shouldn't lose to.....

Why not start out with a starting five of the best at each position, and substitute
only as the situation merits....At least until the game is well in hand....In other
words, develop rapport between the players that will be at the core of our
success....

On the other hand, can you substitute too little....Yes, I think you can...I
remember that Willie Biles spent most of his Soph. year on the bench....He was
our leading scorer (and all conference) his last two years....Ken Hayes played
the starters until their tongues hung out, and sometimes ignored everyone else...

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The best players you have should see the floor at the end of the game. I'd go Taplin + Scott + Jeffries + Igbanu + Etou or Taplin + Joiner + Jeffries + Etou + Igbanu depending on if the other team had a shooter that we didn't want to perpetually leave open on the wing.

The best players you have should see the floor at the end of the game. I'd go Taplin + Scott + Jeffries + Igbanu + Etou or Taplin + Joiner + Jeffries + Etou + Igbanu depending on if the other team had a shooter that we didn't want to perpetually leave open on the wing.

I like your 'or' team of Taplin, Joiner, Jeffries, Etou, Igbanu as the best combination
of offense, defense, & rebounding....Also, at this early stage of his career, Joiner may
already be as good at play making as Scott.....It would seem to be an advantage to
have two guards on the floor that think like PGs...Scott, on the other hand, can score
the ball, and certainly has his strengths.....

As I.I. posted, rebounding will be critical to this team....We will almost certainly be
out sized by most everyone we play.....

Last edited:
It's way early, but it seemed all too familiar: Can't hit the 3; won't guard the 3; no offensive rebounds; lousy free-throw shooting; etc.. Anybody remember last year?

Another tool post. Stfu. Enough negativity.

No, I don’t remember our two best players being screwed in the first half and being completely taken out of our rhythm from the get go.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Another tool post. Stfu. Enough negativity.

No, I don’t remember our two best players being screwed in the first half and being completely taken out of our rhythm from the get go.
That doesn't really excuse missed FT's or poor perimeter defense.

I don’t consider the opponent shooting 29% from 3 pt poor perimeter defense.

Definitely agree on FTs. No reason to shoot that poorly, obviously Etou isn’t going to shoot 33% from the line on a regular basis though.

I don’t consider the opponent shooting 29% from 3 pt poor perimeter defense.

Definitely agree on FTs. No reason to shoot that poorly, obviously Etou isn’t going to shoot 33% from the line on a regular basis though.
We didn't start playing decent perimeter defense on their shooter, Garth, until halfway through the 2nd half. Their PG missed 5/7 of his shots which brought down their overall average.

No. We played defense the entire game. Their main guys didn’t come out much and were gassed. But then we inexplicably pulled Igbanu, leaving the paint open, and then started taking silly jump shots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT