ADVERTISEMENT

The next dominant generation

Yup... things aren't looking too rosy for the Grand Ol' Party heading into the 2020's and beyond. We're becoming quite separated from the years of the GOP champion Ronnie Reagan and now all that millenials are going to remember is the 90's under a Clinton presidency that benefited from a improving economy, the 00's under a pretty subpar Bush administration and the hope movement under Obama. There hasn't been any major gaffs to the level of the economic crisis under Carter or the Vietnam War under LBJ. Meanwhile the Republican Party has been divisive and created extensive gridlock in the legislature.

If the GOP wins in November and a guy like Trump doesn't prove to be another Bush, they might finally get a gasp for air after years of being underwater, but that's not looking like something I'd put money on right now.

Millennials are going to be just like a lot of other generations as they age. Start out liberal and end up more conservative as the years go by. Just like me. I saw the light as a 'know it all liberal' when I commented to my father many decades ago that we should never have dropped the A-bomb on Hiroshima. Then he schooled me on fighting the Japanese in the Pacific and preparing to invade Japan after the battle of Okinawa. Those Kamikaze suicide planes proved his point. They estimated as many as 1,000,000 american casualties when the invasion was to take place. When they dropped the bomb the only thing he said was "Good! I hope they drop another!" Thank God they did. I know what being a liberal is all about. Its not about experience and living in the real world.

You probably sound like your father did back when you were just out of college. What did you think then?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT