ADVERTISEMENT

The Hurricane Bowl

TigerCane16

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Sep 14, 2019
After the game, I started thinking back on some of our more memorable teams in these 15 years since the "rebirth" of TU football. I have always wondered what everyone's opinion is on which one takes the top spot.

2005 - Steve's C-USA title team
2008 - Todd's at one point 8-0 team
2012 - Bill's C-USA title team
2016 - Monty's MBB team

I honestly feel Monty's team is the least potent of the 4, but still stellar.

I know this is a goofy/obscure thread, but I figured it might be fun lol.

I don't think the 2016 team belongs in this group. They went to OT with a 5-7 SMU, double OT with a 1-11 Fresno and OT with a 4-8 (1-7 in conference) Cincinnati. Their signature win was over then #13 Houston who ended the season 5-3 in conference. I would put Graham's 2010 team in there. They lost to ECU and SMU but the win over Notre Dame was pure gold.

Last edited:
After the game, I started thinking back on some of our more memorable teams in these 15 years since the "rebirth" of TU football. I have always wondered what everyone's opinion is on which one takes the top spot.

2005 - Steve's C-USA title team
2008 - Todd's at one point 8-0 team
2012 - Bill's C-USA title team
2016 - Monty's MBB team

I honestly feel Monty's team is the least potent of the 4, but still stellar.

I know this is a goofy/obscure thread, but I figured it might be fun lol.
The 2010 team was pretty damn good

Still played on the Commons?
After fifty consecutive years on the U, it was moved across the street to that patch of grass between Delaware and the soccer stadium. The 56th game will be in April. I’ve never played as an alumni, but I’m told anybody is welcome, especially if you lived in the John. It’s still the oldest and longest running active student tradition/activity.

After fifty consecutive years on the U, it was moved across the street to that patch of grass between Delaware and the soccer stadium. The 56th game will be in April. I’ve never played as an alumni, but I’m told anybody is welcome, especially if you lived in the John. It’s still the oldest and longest running active student tradition/activity.
I played in 17 straight at one point. I did go to the 50th annual and played about 3 downs before subbing myself out. I finished tearing one ACl in one game and tore the other one 3 years later playing. My wife essentially forced me to retire from playing after that. My wife is one of the 225 women who lived in John Mabee the year that Lottie was being renovated...so one of the few women who can legally play in the game according to the rules of "current John residents and anyone who formerly lived in John Mabee Hall". My wife recently had my collection of Toilet Bowl shirts compiled into a quilt. There were a number of shirts in the collection that are not safe for wearing in public. I know when I lived in John Mabee, the hall gov't and RA staff worked on compiling a history of Toilet Bowl events along with who from Lottie was named TV Queen, and who the game MVPs were (game MVPs and the RHD were supposed to get 'swirlies' in the public restroom in the Lottie lobby after the game.

There were a lot of John Mabee/Lottie traditions that sort of fell by the wayside because they were frowned upon by Yolanda Taylor...we did them anyway :)

Reactions: HuffyCane
Toilet Bowl was played at Skelly my 4 years in the John.

Yep, 1987-88 we played at Skelly... I loved the Quite Zone... That was the year the semi went through The U and got stuck between John and the nursing building... Man I am old

Yep, 1987-88 we played at Skelly... I loved the Quite Zone... That was the year the semi went through The U and got stuck between John and the nursing building... Man I am old
That was my freshman year.

That was my freshman year.
Mine too, I was working the front desk when Rogers State sent their Middle-eastern students to stay in the John because of a riot on campus. I think I woke up the RD five times that night...

The semi incident was right after campus security got the golf carts. One was chasing the semi... about 5 seconds after both disappeared behind the John, the backup beep of the golf cart could be heard before he came wizzing by backwards. The semi almost ran him over...

I know we played on Skelly in '97 as well. Lots of injuries. At least one torn ACL (not mine). That was my first Toilet Bowl. The enxt 3 also featured significant injuries...and we came up with the saying "It's not Toilet Bowl until someone named Gonzalez gets hurt" as the injuries always seemed to occur to someone with the last name Gonzalez.

Mine too, I was working the front desk when Rogers State sent their Middle-eastern students to stay in the John because of a riot on campus. I think I woke up the RD five times that night...

The semi incident was right after campus security got the golf carts. One was chasing the semi... about 5 seconds after both disappeared behind the John, the backup beep of the golf cart could be heard before he came wizzing by backwards. The semi almost ran him over...
How did I never hear of this incident? I was an RA in the John when I was in grad school. I knew about the guys that painted the checkerboard floor in Club Mabee and about many other "John" traditions that were often frowned upon by Admin.

Who was the RD that year?

I played in it once during that era. It was on the U. Vague memories of wearing old school tear away navy blue jerseys. There was an MBA student on the opposing team that played for the Cardinals in the previous fall as a scab player during that strike season. His talent level wasn’t too far above some of us covering him. I think he had two catches. It really proved the adage that it’s the QB not the WR that matters. He couldn’t run by us because he had to wait for the ball to arrive.

How did I never hear of this incident? I was an RA in the John when I was in grad school. I knew about the guys that painted the checkerboard floor in Club Mabee and about many other "John" traditions that were often frowned upon by Admin.

Who was the RD that year?
Man, that takes me way back... Rad DeWolf-Domingo was in Twin Towers, Susan Strobel was in Twin South, but the John and LJ RD's names escape me. I think the RD's are in the on-line Collegian catalogs (yes, TU had a yearbook until the early 90s). I was the RA of the Pit for the 88 school year. That was a party... probably why I was asked to not come back.

Man, that takes me way back... Rad DeWolf-Domingo was in Twin Towers, Susan Strobel was in Twin South, but the John and LJ RD's names escape me. I think the RD's are in the on-line Collegian catalogs (yes, TU had a yearbook until the early 90s). I was the RA of the Pit for the 88 school year. That was a party... probably why I was asked to not come back.
I lived in the pit in '87 before I bought a house.

Several years ago there was a broadcast of us playing New Mexico in a pretend game because each was overlooked for a bowl game. What was it called.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Ha. The Pit. I know Susan. The others are a little before my time. I was the RHD in Twin from 1999-2006. As much as Chuck tried to have the RAs and myself not call it the Pit, it was always called the Pit (something about negative inferences by parents). So were you the RA before or after the dude painted the Jesus mural inside his closet?

Funny story, when I was hired as the RHD, I was going through old files to clear out some file cabinet space and came across some discipline files. One was on the person who was the best man at my wedding for lighting his trash can on fire down in the Pit...probably around 1990-91. Hilarious! I asked him about it because I had never heard the story and he said he was a bit of a pyro in his younger days and was messing around...he followed that with a Beavis-style "Fire!"

Ha. The Pit. I know Susan. The others are a little before my time. I was the RHD in Twin from 1999-2006. As much as Chuck tried to have the RAs and myself not call it the Pit, it was always called the Pit (something about negative inferences by parents). So were you the RA before or after the dude painted the Jesus mural inside his closet?

Funny story, when I was hired as the RHD, I was going through old files to clear out some file cabinet space and came across some discipline files. One was on the person who was the best man at my wedding for lighting his trash can on fire down in the Pit...probably around 1990-91. Hilarious! I asked him about it because I had never heard the story and he said he was a bit of a pyro in his younger days and was messing around...he followed that with a Beavis-style "Fire!"

Walt Mauer, did you know him before he passed? Shot through the gut in Vietnam, lost his legs to the diabetes that caused. During RA training I got the "suicide" situation room and Walt was inside as the student. Shook me up at 19...

Walt Mauer, did you know him before he passed? Shot through the gut in Vietnam, lost his legs to the diabetes that caused. During RA training I got the "suicide" situation room and Walt was inside as the student. Shook me up at 19...
I knew Walt pretty well. Walt was a good guy.

Reactions: TulsaAM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT