ADVERTISEMENT

Temple Game Thread

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Off to our usual close start. Will the flood gates open on defense again?

Our Freshman are not contributing very much. I’m beginning to question if they will improve quick enough to help even next year. Just look lost out there 20+ games in.

Reactions: t-townpod
SGC doing okay with nice rebounds. Temple not guarding him though.

Our Freshman are not contributing very much. I’m beginning to question if they will improve quick enough to help even next year. Just look lost out there 20+ games in.
Really.

I said it would be one out of the three freshman + Dalger & Griffin. Maybe Knight.

Reactions: I.I.
You know I’ve given them more time than most. 🙂
You have been fairly critical of me mentioning only BB should stay of the freshman. I am not even sure about him but he is a better scorer although he has lost his touch the last few games. Just not sure the other two freshman will ever be contributors to an AAC team. Ive been wrong before but that is how I see it after 20 games.
Still hoping for 7 new faces.

I'm watching the game on the radio. Decided this game wasn't worth the money for sling.

You have been fairly critical of me mentioning only BB should stay of the freshman. I am not even sure about him but he is a better scorer although he has lost his touch the last few games. Just not sure the other two freshman will ever be contributors to an AAC team. Ive been wrong before but that is how I see it after 20 games.
You'll get 7 new faces guaranteed.

MCWright has more versatility than Knight I feel.

Nice steal by McWright. Charles had an easy charge and stuck out his leg.

You also were in favor of running off Darien Jackson and Christian Shumate though. Very hard to evaluate freshmen on a team this bad

You also were in favor of running off Darien Jackson and Christian Shumate though. Very hard to evaluate freshmen on a team this bad
Had questions about Jackson but never suggested Shumate be run off. However. I do think you are over rating Shumate at McNesse State. Still not a great shooter but playing good defense it appears

Betson plays about 2’ too soft on shooters. But not quick enough to guard them closely so neither works.

I've only watched about 10 minutes so far, mostly in the 2nd half. When Griffin isn't on the floor we have better off ball movement on offense and a seemingly better flow. When he's on the court we seem To be stagnant waiting for him to decide if he's going to shoot or not. And the difference in defense is night and day. We seem to have more defensive intensity across all 5 spots, especially McWright and SGC. That's not saying we haven't made mistakes on defense but it just looks like we're doing a better job of moving our feet, closing out the shooters a little faster, anticipating where the pass is going, etc. From the little I've watched this season after the first handful of games, this looks to be one of our best defensive efforts. Now to see if we can finish the effort out (not saying we are going to win but we need to see the effort sustained).

Had questions about Jackson but never suggested Shumate be run off. However. I do think you are over rating Shumate at McNesse State. Still not a great shooter but playing good defense it appears

Things we say on this site are searchable. I probably have a list of “too rosy” takes about players that didn’t pan out, but you’re on the other side of the spectrum.

“We need open scholarships. Shumate May have developed to be ok but not to what we need. Who is it that you do not want to return to open up schoolys?” - You

Last edited:
I had flashbacks of Jerome Jordan being doubled and defense not even looking at our wing when SGP was out there once.

Man these guys really lay down when things start going south. Every game now

Might want to put our best defender on Dunn made the last 15 points himself. But we don’t have a “best” defender. He just laughed at KES and McWright.

Edited
I checked the stats per minute on Knight & McWright to put #s to it.

Per minute across the board better for Knight on shooting(%) & scoring, but not a great deal of difference. Rebounds & turns it over a little better.(TO's larger margin.) He came out a little better than earlier in the season, and made some ground on McWright.

McWright As/St/Blck/Charges are better per minute stats. Assists was a larger margin.

Our offensive sets look like something Kiefer JV would run….and that might be kind. Watch the Temple players move off the ball. Quick cuts, everyone moving. Then watch us….almost everyone standing in the same spot as the possession progresses. We move for the first 5-10 seconds then just stop. Crazy.

Temple lost at home by 14 to Wichita State last time out btw.

Our slogan this year should be "Try Tulsa, it's good for what ails ya!"

Simple game ……we switch players with Temple today and win easily too.

Things we say on this site are searchable. I probably have a list of “too rosy” takes about players that didn’t pan out, but you’re on the other side of the spectrum.

“We need open scholarships. Shumate May have developed to be ok but not to what we need. Who is it that you do not want to return to open up schoolys?”
Chukwuu, mcwright probably, KES,Urbanic, Gaston and possible Nikita and seals. Bring in 3 fall recruits and another 4 additions

Astrobite will be happy out per game differential goes up in comparison to '76/77 team.

Last edited:
Edited
I checked the stats per minute on Knight & McWright to put #s to it.

Per minute across the board better for Knight on shooting(%) & scoring, but not a great deal of difference. Rebounds & turns it over a little better.(TO's larger margin.) He came out a little better than earlier in the season, and made some ground on McWright.

McWright As/St/Blck/Charges are better per minute stats. Assists was a larger margin.
McWrights problem is shooting. We need scoring guards!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT