ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game April 18

TUBballJunkie

I.T.S. University President
Mar 16, 2003
Hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere, but that was included in the description posted by the GHC with the football/dance team performance from Wednesday night.

TU's:
FAST AND FURIOUS ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD
Tulsa began spring football drills on Sunday

Tulsa, Oklahoma - Philip Montgomery conducted his first spring football practice as The University of Tulsa's first-year head coach Sunday afternoon. The Hurricane conducted a fast and furious 150-minute practice session that saw the team work-out on both the turf of H.A. Chapman Stadium and the grass of Harwell Field.
Montgomery was pleased with the players' enthusiasm and the excitement throughout the first of 15 spring practice sessions.
"We wanted to get them through the jitters, teach them about what we want to do from a pace standpoint, get their legs back under them and get a lot of teaching done today," said Montgomery. "And, that's what we did."
"Today was great. I had the jitters too. I have that every year, before spring ball and before fall camp. It was great to get out on the field and get going, and once you get rolling in it, you keep on going. Our guys came out ready, sprinting out onto the field. Their level of energy was high as soon as they got on the field," added Montgomery.
"We have a lot of guys who are enthusiastic about what they're doing right now. They don't necessarily know where to go or what to do at this time. We need to get them to the point where they're understanding our scheme - how to run a route, how to cover a route - and as long as they keep that energy and enthusiasm we'll be fine."
Montgomery was asked about his hands-on approach of working with quarterbacks compared to some coaches that are CEO types. "Hands on is the only way I know how to do it, so I guess that is my style," laughed Montgomery. "It's all about teaching. As I said when I hired our staff, we have a bunch of guys who are passionate about what they're doing, and they're all good teachers. We have to be able to communicate and get our players to do what we need them to do within our scheme."
"We've got a lot to learn. We have a long way to go to where we want to be, but our guys are working hard to get there. We have a lot of teaching to do. Now that we have one practice on tape we'll be able to sit down and really watch it with our players. They'll learn so much more after being on the field, and then sitting down and really dissect it in the film room," said Montgomery.

Tulsa will practice twice more this week, Tuesday and Thursday, before taking a week off for spring break.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT