ADVERTISEMENT

Spiraling out of control

'Cane-man

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Mar 10, 2002
I don't really know what is happening with this football team. I'm only on campus for the games and tailgates (which is the highlight of the day this year). I don't know any of the coaches or players. But something is not right.

I first noticed during the second half of the New Mexico game that the body language of the players looked deflated. The first half of the Navy game was encouraging, but that look reappeared in the second half...like the team was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I wasn't able to see today's game live but I saw highlights on my Facebook page. After one of Tulane's many touchdowns, the color commentator asked "is Tulsa trying to tackle anyone?" Good question.

I like Philip Montgomery. He turned around a program in the dumps and led TU to a stellar season last year. But there is a Keith Burns 2001 feel to this season that makes me very uneasy. I would be glad to read anyone's thoughts about this...and I have read many on the threads. What needs to take place to turn the program back in the right direction?

I had "retired" from message board posting (basically, I ran out of things to say). But getting hammered by Tulane seems almost apocalyptic. Hope my next post will be more positive.

It seems you’re not the only one seeing this.
Bad decisions can cause a team to lose faith in a coach and it seems that is what has happened.

I think everyone knows that Monty went with President for too long and it's posible this has caused division on the team. It doesn't pay to play favorites and be stubborn. Monty should know that...or maybe not. JMHO.

dumpster fire it is...

I have never seen such a horrid defense in my life on the D1 level. Ever.

The young men don't know their positions, angles or how to tackle. It's a freak show out on that field. And that's entirely on the CEO.

Reactions: TUGrad06
I think everyone knows that Monty went with President for too long and it's posible this has caused division on the team. It doesn't pay to play favorites and be stubborn. Monty should know that...or maybe not. JMHO.
100%. I think he's lost his players.

You can blame it on the defense all you want, they truly are terrible, but Tulane was killing us on offense at the half with 435-128 total yards. Our defense couldn't hold them and out offense couldn't score. It was bad all around.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Monty's body language is also anemic. He's never animated, kinda has slumped shoulders and never fist pumps or shows any fire on the sidelines (except on the penalty assessed during the toledo game when they were driving to kick the winning field goal and got a free 15 yards). I stopped watching the Phillip Montgomery shows on TU's website because his attitude is that of having attended a funeral dirge after every game. That and his annoying habit of answering EVERY QUESTION with "ya know".

Reactions: TUGrad06

There's a fine line between being stubborn and sticking with a guy in a tough time. It's just as bad to be the coach with the short leash who pulls someone, especially a first time starter, without giving them a chance. It's easy to have an opinion from the peanut gallery but hard in practice, especially because it's not just seeing how a guy performs but giving him the time to grow into the role. You're not only making a call on that guy but sending a message to everyone. Hindsight is always 20/20 and it seems pretty clear he went too long with Chad but it's probably not so clear cut on the ground.

Stats don't lie. Defense is 129th against the run out of 129 teams in D1. Let's see....where does that put us? Hmmm LAST. And if the run wasn't working so
well for them they'd be throwing the ball all over us and we'd be last there too.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmullinsTU
Stats don't lie. Defense is 129th against the run out of 129 teams in D1. Let's see....where does that put us? Hmmm LAST. And if the run wasn't working so
well for them they'd be throwing to ball all over us and we'd be last there too.
I don't see how you can not fire one or both of your DCs this week.

Reactions: TU 1978
Do you think they might be able to find some players that can play defense from the intramural league?

Reactions: Lumpuckeroo
Norwood and Young both need to be fired. The sooner the better. They do not get the kids ready to play. The other team has scored a TD on their first snap in 3 of our 6 games thus far. Not the first drive. The first snap! It's unbelievable.

We can't tackle anyone. We had a free shot on the QB yesterday and our guy gave him a hug. The QB then throws for a 9 yard gain. It's like we're playing touch football.

It can not get any worse than giving up 48 point to TULANE in the 1st half. Monty needs to fire these clowns now! These guys are each making several hundred grand a year. A grad assistant could step in and not do any worse.

Monty's body language is also anemic. He's never animated, kinda has slumped shoulders and never fist pumps or shows any fire on the sidelines (except on the penalty assessed during the toledo game when they were driving to kick the winning field goal and got a free 15 yards). I stopped watching the Phillip Montgomery shows on TU's website because his attitude is that of having attended a funeral dirge after every game. That and his annoying habit of answering EVERY QUESTION with "ya know".

Would you be animated when there is no Audience?

Seriously, you gotta feel for the guy. He never thought he would still be a Tulsa after 2 yrs, then the Baylor scandal erupts and everyone associated with Art Briles is toxic. His pool of assistants is shrunk because no up and comer wants to be on the Briles tree. Not to mention how the ripples of the scandal affect recruiting.

Briles was the draw in Waco, not Philip Montgomery. He had the connections, PM was the good soldier. If he were the brains behind Briles, he would have moved on Long before.

I’m sure PM was a good assistant but it takes more to drive the train.

If our AD were more than an empty suit, there would have been more oversight applied in the hiring of assistant coaches and there would be a critical review the monday after thanksgiving. Assistant coaches salaries usually have no guarantees, so cutting them loose shouldn’t have massive budgetary impacts.

PM needs upgraded staff and recruiting, the only problem is that results will be 2 yrs down the road.

Reactions: bluegold70
Do you think they might be able to find some players that can play defense from the intramural league?
I'm starting to think it's time to put some of those backup ol ( like Bucktrot ) and start using them on the dline, heck , what could it hurt

TW quote by Monty didn't sound too promising for those who advocate getting rid of one or both of the Defensive Coordinators. Or at least he didn't tip his hand. We shall see.

“We’ve had the injury bug this year,” Montgomery said. “Guys are stepping in and having to play. We’re playing a lot of young guys, some non-scholarship guys who are having to play because of depth … but we’ve still got to step in there and get it done.”

Last edited:
Division over who should start at qb and starting the wrong one for too long/ Sounds like the Burns years to me. I was at TU at the time and heard a number of players saying Killian should have been the starter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT