ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams

TulsaGrad07

I.T.S. Junior
Sep 26, 2015
Redford Jones was 2/5 today, with one of those being a blocked kick. Why are our special teams persistently terrible? We don't block kicks, even attempt to block punts, pin an opponent within the 10 yard line, it's just all-around bad. We left 12 extra points on the field tonight. I remember a few years ago when we did the same thing against Arkansas and wound up losing due to a phantom PI call on Keyarris when we were mounting a comeback.

Correction, 9 extra points on the field... I guess it was so bad I arbitrarily took one away from him and had him as 1/5

Parks is a great punter and has routinely switched field position when needed this year. It always sucks when your only kickers are all walk-on cast offs from the soccer team. Someone needs to go out and recruit a kid who is $ from 40 and in.

Reactions: Tulsa76
Missed a 3 point extra point. Which left 3 on the field and gave up 15 yards in field position.

Had one blocked and ran back 50+ yards.

Missed on, but didn't lose field position. So that was nice.

I'm left to assume we do better in practice, or Monte wouldn't have the faith to keep trying. But it was not encouraging yesterday.

I think part of the problem may be the walk on philosophy. Many coaches at big programs say why burn a scholly when they can ask for walkons and pick the best kicked from 20 qualified kids who try out (Stools said he is going to get the best in state kicker anyway...).

We don't have the student body to pull from and we don't have the cache for a great kicked to decide to go to school at Tulsa just to walk on.

Watch them in pregame and 2nd half warmups. They are missing just as many without a defensive line coming at them.

Reactions: Tulsa76
We all know kickers are ALL headcases, although Coach Monty said that Jones is battling injury-maybe. A shrink rather than an medical doctor is prolly what this kid needs. On a more positive note, has anyone noticed that Shawn Norman is a guided missle on kick-off coverage? Dude makes a ton of tackles. I thought he was going to be in the safety rotation??? TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Redford has been nursing an injury. He actually had been pretty good up until the ULM game.

Most of the time if you give a scholarship to a kicker you could have gotten him to walk-on anyway, and typically our walk-on kickers have been on par with those at other schools .Redford Jones is not lacking talent(also happens to be a pretty good athlete). We gave a scholarship to Cole Way, does anyone think he's better than Dalton Parks? Daniel Schwarz was the rare one that was probably worth a scholarship based on talent, but his mechanical issues were going to take some time to fix.

I noticed him limping several games ago after kicks. Was starting to think it was just his walk. Head down and limping. Guess he is injured. Wasnt he in a battle for the job right up to first game? Maybe they should use the guy he was battling so he can recover from his injury. I think he will be a steady kicker when healthy.

Jones was limping badly after the first miss. It was pretty apparent. The kicking net is right in front of our sets. Soper warmed up some and then another kicker who I don't know was also taking some kicks. Injuries, even if you are able to physically perform, will mess with your head and ultimately your mechanics. The blocked kick had several reasons. 1, I think the holder lined up a yard (maybe 2) too close to the line. Our interior lineman have issues getting leverage on DL who seem to be able to get push and height (the block at OU was a freak block where the guy literally hurtled the OL at the snap). The 2nd miss was just wide right about 2-3 ft. None of his kicks were freakishly bad, not like the ULM kicker who missed the 40 yarder 15 yards to the left. I thought that one originally had been partially blocked but every replay shows he just yanked it hard like a golfer whose swing gets too fast. Point is, a nagging injury can sometimes be worse than one that requires you to miss playing time because it messes with your head and mechanics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT