ADVERTISEMENT

Special teams

TULSARISING

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Jun 21, 2017
Is one of the biggest things we need to work on, how much this closer this game was due to boneheaded mistakes on special teams, as well as costly turnovers. If we avoid those, it's a totally different game. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well our defense played.

Obviously agree on special teams concerns.

Offense, I fear, is the same as last year minus the solid O line plus Brooks.

Defense, I'm mixed. Many broken coverages, missed tackles, and idiotic penalties. But overall, held someone to < 30...which counts as good defense for us.

But, we need to keep in mind that this was our paid for win against a lower tier team (FCS). I'm not knocking UCA, they played well and but for a fumble into the end zone at the end of the 3rd and a muffed kickoff return in the 4th they would have won. Central Arkansas will be a really good FCS team, but this should be among our easiest opponents all hear.

Our performance did not inspire confidence in me.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Too many dumb penalties. That one PI in the red zone was a horrible call though. The play calling was too predicatable. I felt like I time travelled to last year and was watching the same thing.
I'm still not sold on Skipper. His release seems slow and doesn't have enough zip on it. And accuracy hasn't really improved either.
Overall, glad to have the win. I knew going into the game UCA was going to be much more difficult then people were expecting. I watch a lot of FCS and they are a solid team, even if they are breaking in a new qb.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Special teams were awful. Simply undisciplined. Teach them the basics and it’s a 14 point swing, easy.

Defense played well considering UCA got the ball on our side of the field virtually every possession of the first half.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT