ADVERTISEMENT

South Florida game thread

Cobe needs to sit and Archie needs to play. Tonight Cobe is a human turnover

We just don't seem to be much of a threat to beat a decent team.

Sorry can't be that guy.
You don’t have to be. We have a team full of freshmen with a smattering of sophomores. We have won more games than we did last year and they were fighting back against a team that shot 60 percent. Yeah I am fine.

You don’t have to be. We have a team full of freshmen with a smattering of sophomores. We have won more games than we did last year and they were fighting back against a team that shot 60 percent. Yeah I am fine.
I mean…. Kinda…. but also, that‘s a really lame excuse considering we will probably lose good ones in the transfer portal.

You are treating this program like it’s 10-20 years ago and all it needs is time in the oven. Thats not how the NCAA works anymore.

That was USF largest margin of victory in conference this season. We should never be that team. I don’t care how young the roster. This was these kids 24th game of the season. We have a legitimate conference player of the year candidate. No excuse for getting rolled by 19 tonight. Young teams should get better as the season progresses. We aren’t and that is a problem. Thankfully we have 4 games against Rice and UTSA or our final conference record would look really bad.

That was USF largest margin of victory in conference this season. We should never be that team. I don’t care how young the roster. This was these kids 24th game of the season. We have a legitimate conference player of the year candidate. No excuse for getting rolled by 19 tonight. Young teams should get better as the season progresses. We aren’t and that is a problem. Thankfully we have 4 games against Rice and UTSA or our final conference record would look really bad.
We are not improving. Everyone can see that right? Even acknowledging better competition.

Reactions: libertychamp
We are not improving. Everyone can see that right? Even acknowledging better competition.
Pretty apparent not everyone. Young guys gaining valuable experience. Haggerty playing at an all conference level. Makes no sense why we appear to be regressing. Talent deficiency? Coaching deficiency?

Reactions: libertychamp
Well I will disagree with you about us regressing. I see a lot of growth in some of the players on this team. The team as a whole has gotten a little better as well. We have not played well on the road at all. We were beating Rice in Houston by a good margin and almost threw that away. We had a mediocre OOC schedule to where our conference slate is much tougher. If we had an equally tough OOC to out conference slate our record would be tremendously worse.

We won 5 games all of last year. We have won 12 this year. When we play rice this will be the first time we have played a conference opponent twice. We still have to play USF again. If they come to Tulsa and we roll them will it make it better?

USF shot 60 percent from the field and 56 percent from 3 point range. That is insane numbers. Still these guys fought to get it to 10 with a few minutes left until they got another 3, which they made 13 of them. Made 13 shots from three and was at 56 percent. That was Tulsa when we played UTSA. We all knew that probably wouldn’t happen again.

Maybe there is a coaching deficiency and maybe there is a talent deficiency. This is what I look at and this is what I care about. We are leaps and bounds better than last year. I can watch a lot home game even losing by 19 and not have anxiety over this team like I did last year. Will they all stay? Who knows. But those people who think we should be at the top of the conference are delusional imo. We have a good team. We are not that good yet.

So yeah, I am good right now

Reactions: slowjogger
The other issue that I see is society as a whole. Everyone these days wants instant gratification. That’s not how the world works. We have to let it build. Patience is something that we are lacking today. In sports and in life. By this time last year we had kids quitting on the team. I do t see that here.

I feel even better just writing this out today then I did when I made that comment last night.

The other issue that I see is society as a whole. Everyone these days wants instant gratification. That’s not how the world works. We have to let it build. Patience is something that we are lacking today. In sports and in life.
Unfortunatelyas Aston said.. "that isn't how it works anymore"..

We are looking at 4-5 transfer portal defections ... we are basically providing dress audition tapes every time we hit the floor. Not even the blue bloods can stockpile talent for the future. But, unlike the blue bloods, we dont have a bag that we can hand out to players to replace losses or keep them.

15 points?
We get it close then turn the ball over 4-5 times or miss 4-5 shots.
Usually one player is responsible for several of those.

Archie and Cobe need to swap minutes per game. Not the end all fix but, it would give us a better chance these last few games.

I think we have a lot longer road ahead of us than I want to admit.

5 wins last year. I keep reminding myself. That's about as low as it gets for a program that is actually trying, so for sure we should temper expectations.

This year is a big step in the right direction. But there are, and have been, legitimate questions about the ability of this staff to get us where we ultimately want to go. As others have pointed out, we have some pretty good players on this team. So why can't we figure out how to beat anyone but bottom feeders? Are our 4-6 spots just abysmal, barely D-1 talent? They may not all be fantastic all-conference players, but I don't think anyone with significant minutes this year is embarrassingly outclassed.

So why aren't we progressing toward looking like a more middle of the pack sort of team as the season wears on? I didn't expect to be there at the beginning of the season, but with mostly young and new players, I do expect progress by season's end. And now what happens if those top players choose to leave?

The improvements and low starting point last year have earned this staff another go-around next year, and I am rooting for them to figure it out, as always. I do like Konkol on a personal level, and I like to think that he can get there. But I can't deny that I see some warning signs.

There are three concerns.

1. Recruiting to fill the needs.
2. Retention and NIL
3. Better offensive sets and passing, particularly against a zone. We are getting into the Wojcik/Haith dribbling until the shot clock is at 3 and forcing up bad shots.

There are three concerns.

1. Recruiting to fill the needs.
2. Retention and NIL
3. Better offensive sets and passing, particularly against a zone. We are getting into the Wojcik/Haith dribbling until the shot clock is at 3 and forcing up bad shots.

Last night’s game was hard to watch because of #3. I’ve always been of the philosophy that better shots can be found early in the shot clock, not late.

Reactions: loca2874
Last night’s game was hard to watch because of #3. I’ve always been of the philosophy that better shots can be found early in the shot clock, not late.
Actually when we were patient last night and worked our game we were getting good shots. Where we went wrong was when they started hitting threes we figured we needed to shoot them also. They were making theirs and we were missing ours so they quickly went from 1 down to 11 up with 4 straight made threes. The same happened in the second half, we used pressure D and patient offense to go from 19 down to 10 down then Cobe came in and immediately put up two quick threes and missed them both and suddenly we’re down 15-17 points again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT