ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like it's official

Here's the article
BTW the internet has gone viral w/ reports confirming that Montgomery is the New Tulsa HC
Looks like a great hire 4 TU

12/11/14 6:42ET

Tulsa hired Baylor offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery as its head coach Thursday.
Montgomery has been calling the plays for one of the most prolific offenses in college football for the last four seasons. Baylor is the only team in FBS to be ranked in the top two in total offense and top four in the scoring offense each of the last four seasons.

"Coach Montgomery has outstanding background as a collegiate coach and recruiter," Tulsa athletic director Derrick Gragg said in a statement released by the school. "He is one of the bright offensive minds in college football and has coordinated explosive offenses at both Houston and Baylor."

The Bears have won the Big 12 the last two seasons.
The 42-year-old Texan has spent most of his career as an assistant to Baylor coach Art Briles, first at Stephenville (Texas) High School and then at Houston (2003-07) and Baylor.

"I was fortunate to be in a great position working with Coach Briles and the wonderful people at Baylor," Montgomery said in a statement. "I've always wanted to be a head coach, but my family and I knew that it would take the right opportunity to get me to leave Waco. Tulsa is that special opportunity. There is a lot of work to get done and trust me, I'm already on it. Get ready for some fun, fast and physical football."

Tulsa fired Bill Blankenship this month after the Golden Hurricane went 2-10.
Tulsa went to eight bowls between 2004-12, played in the Conference USA championship game four times and won a championship twice. Since its last title in 2012, the Golden Hurricane have won five games.

Montgomery was one of five finalists for the Broyles Award, given to the top assistant coach in the nation, in 2013.
He has coached record-setting quarterbacks Bryce Petty and Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III at Baylor and Kevin Kolb and Case Keenum at Houston.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT