ADVERTISEMENT

SLP trying to hire USC coach

I suspect Frank is still available too. ( along with Manning, Robinson, Peterson, and Wojcik. )

And OSU still doesn’t have a coach.

I don't know anything about the USC guy but this feels like our hiring Frank. Am I wrong? I hope I'm not wrong. I love watching SLP waste vast amounts of money for below average results. It's a bold strategy, hire a guy who was average at best in a weaker conference.

SMU targeting USC's Andy Enfield for coaching job, sources say

The truth can be harsh: Andy Enfield should be coaching for his job right now at USC
Made NCAA tourney 3 of the last 4 years including a trip to the elite 8. Not sure what USC’s expectations are but they don’t seem to match the schools basketball history. USC hasn’t been to the Final Four in 70 years.

If you tell me that will be TU’s basketball results over the next four years I would take it every day.

Reactions: nevadanatural
Made NCAA tourney 3 of the last 4 years including a trip to the elite 8. Not sure what USC’s expectations are but they don’t seem to match the schools basketball history. USC hasn’t been to the Final Four in 70 years.

If you tell me that will be TU’s basketball results over the next four years I would take it every day.
Frank had been to the NCAA 2 of the 4 years before we hired him and had a team that was ranked #8 at the end of the regular season before crapping it in the NCAAs. What you say about USC is also true of Missouri and Miami. Not seeing a lot of difference. Maybe Enfield is 0.2 standard deviations better than Frank was I guess.

Frank had been to the NCAA 2 of the 4 years before we hired him and had a team that was ranked #8 at the end of the regular season before crapping it in the NCAAs. What you say about USC is also true of Missouri and Miami. Not seeing a lot of difference. Maybe Enfield is 0.2 standard deviations better than Frank was I guess.
Frank never made the Elite 8 and Frank inherited those NCAA teams and his teams had a tendency to decline the longer he was at the school. Enfield is the exact opposite.

Frank never made the Elite 8 and Frank inherited those NCAA teams and his teams had a tendency to decline the longer he was at the school. Enfield is the exact opposite.
Enfield never won 30+ games. USC's only game they won in the Elite 8 year against a higher seeded team was against a way overrated Kansas team. They finished 15-18 this year and are losing 4 of their top 5 players. Seems like a very opportune time to get the heck out of dodge. I think Enfield is a little better than Haith but I would definitely not be jazzed about this hire if I were cursed enough to be an SLP fan.

Enfield never won 30+ games. USC's only game they won in the Elite 8 year against a higher seeded team was against a way overrated Kansas team. They finished 15-18 this year and are losing 4 of their top 5 players. Seems like a very opportune time to get the heck out of dodge. I think Enfield is a little better than Haith but I would definitely not be jazzed about this hire if I were cursed enough to be an SLP fan.
If we hired a coach who had placed 3,2,3,2 in a Power conference in 4 of the last 5 years along with an elite 8 I would be thrilled. Had a tough season this year for sure. But 1 in the last 5 looks like an anomaly. Dude can recruit and coach. Would love to have that type of success here in Tulsa. Big time hire imo.

Full disclosure…I might be a bit partial to SMU as my daughter is obsessed with playing there at the moment. Hopefully that will fade and we can steer her in a better direction.

I think USC is headed downhill bigtime now under Enfield and it's a total "get out of dodge" before you get fired situation.

If we hired a coach who had placed 3,2,3,2 in a Power conference in 4 of the last 5 years along with an elite 8 I would be thrilled. Had a tough season this year for sure. But 1 in the last 5 looks like an anomaly. Dude can recruit and coach. Would love to have that type of success here in Tulsa. Big time hire imo.

Full disclosure…I might be a bit partial to SMU as my daughter is obsessed with playing there at the moment. Hopefully that will fade and we can steer her in a better direction.
I think there's a big difference between would he be a good hire for us vs. would he be a good hire for a program that aspires to be top tier in the ACC. The Pac 12 just hasn't been a particularly good BB conference for quite a while. The ACC is a whole different enchilada. If I were a basic SLP fan, this hire would not excite me at all. Seems destined to a string of 6 - 10th place finishes.

Enfield has been at USC for 10 years and took over a team that went 11-21 the previous year. He has built the program but had a down season this year with high profile players so he’s feeling heat. I don’t know if he’ll leave for SMU or not but he’s not Haith.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I think there's a big difference between would he be a good hire for us vs. would he be a good hire for a program that aspires to be top tier in the ACC. The Pac 12 just hasn't been a particularly good BB conference for quite a while. The ACC is a whole different enchilada. If I were a basic SLP fan, this hire would not excite me at all. Seems destined to a string of 6 - 10th place finishes.
I believe SMU fans who believe they will be a top tier basketball program in the current ACC are delusional. Tough conference and a school with little basketball tradition.

Whoever hires Enfield is not getting a Haith 2.0 hire. Don't know if he will be successful wherever he goes, but I know he is a much more talented coach than Haith. And if USC was on the verge of firing him then they are stupid. Aside from his first two years there, neither of which can be held against him, his weakest finish, besides this year was 2018(16-17) a year similar to this year. Other than that his weakest finish was at .618.

Unless he just doesn't thrive in the new world of recruiting, there is no reason to believe he wouldn't have turned it around next year. Before this year he went to 6 tourneys out of 7 years,(excluding covid year)5 NCAA's and 1 NIT. Frank's 30 win team was an inherited team, and it was like our year with Phillips in which the team took over, not the coach. So don't use that as an excuse.

I want the worst for SMU, but I'm not going to falsely compare Haith and Enfield because that is what I'm hoping for.

Last edited:
Enfield is a better coach than Haith, but you don’t jump from USC to SMU to advance your career. You do it to extend your career.

KenPom has USC’s program rank at 33. Enfield’s average team ranked 70th in KenPom with the 2021 Elite 8 run on the back of Evan Mobley as the notable outlier.

If he can duplicate the recruiting, maybe it works. But I’m skeptical.

Steve Lutz (Western Kentucky) may be hired by OSU . He came in second to Konkol here and was upset he didn't get job. If that happens the TU-OSU game next year will have more fireworks and Scoop will have missed with his first 14 choices for the job.

Enfield is a better coach than Haith, but you don’t jump from USC to SMU to advance your career. You do it to extend your career.

KenPom has USC’s program rank at 33. Enfield’s average team ranked 70th in KenPom with the 2021 Elite 8 run on the back of Evan Mobley as the notable outlier.

If he can duplicate the recruiting, maybe it works. But I’m skeptical.
This is what I would have said if I were smarter and more articulate. Especially this part - "you don’t jump from USC to SMU to advance your career. You do it to extend your career." he turned a 1 or 2 year horizon into 6 years and $30m. That's Haithian.

OSU hiring TU's second choice...who interviewed here (must have been a poor interview) and went home unhappy. He may be a decent coach but doubt a Big 12 level coach. All of OSU's money is going for football anyway.

Reactions: TU 1978
OSU hiring TU's second choice...who interviewed here (must have been a poor interview) and went home unhappy. He may be a decent coach but doubt a Big 12 level coach. All of OSU's money is going for football anyway.
😖

Reactions: TUMU
When Lutz interviewed at TU he had been a D1 head coach for one year and went .500 in conference. Not much of a resume at that time. I can see why TU chose Konkol.

When Lutz interviewed at TU he had been a D1 head coach for one year and went .500 in conference. Not much of a resume at that time. I can see why TU chose Konkol.
He may be eaten alive by the Big 12 coaches. Even Boynton beat his best Corpus Christie team about 81-58.

He may be eaten alive by the Big 12 coaches. Even Boynton beat his best Corpus Christie team about 81-58.
Agree. He worked as an assistant under some quality head coaches. He will need all the experience he can muster. I blame OSU for Boynton failures not Boynton. They put a relatively green assistant coach with zero head coaching experience to coach in that conference because they panicked when Underwood left.

Reactions: I.I.
Arkansas fans think Muss is lost to USC. He is their top choice. Arkansas fans are even complaining that SMU swamps them in NIL contributions . They are looking at Chris Beard for the next Hog coach. Arkansas AD says Muss still the coach but refuses to extend his contract or increase it. Wow.

Last edited:
That and Konkol had previous experience here so knew the challenges. I think Lutz is probably going to do well at OSU.

He was extremely well respected amongst industry insiders at the time. He was very quietly the “hot” name to watch out for amongst agents, ADs, etc., even before he made the tournament. Even though his name was not in the paper or on Twitter.
Nobody had heard of Tubby Smith and he didn’t have a resume either.

We may regret not hiring him, but if so, we must be mindful that at the time of that fire/hire, a one/two season coach would do us more harm than good, regardless of how much he won.

It will be a slow build to pave the road back and Konkol seems to be cool with creeping along on the steam roller. I’m fine with that for now.

Arkansas fans think Muss is lost to USC. He is their top choice. Arkansas fans are even complaining that SMU swamps them in NIL contributions . They are looking at Chris Beard for the next Hog coach. Arkansas AD says Muss still the coach but refuses to extend his contract or increase it. Wow.
My son, the pig he chose to be, is kneeling in prayer that Muss hits the door. It appears that he took this season to ostracize him self from some major contributors in the donor base, and generally was his type A control freak self.

Reactions: I.I. and HuffyCane
I don't know anything about the USC guy but this feels like our hiring Frank. Am I wrong? I hope I'm not wrong. I love watching SLP waste vast amounts of money for below average results. It's a bold strategy, hire a guy who was average at best in a weaker conference.

SMU targeting USC's Andy Enfield for coaching job, sources say

The truth can be harsh: Andy Enfield should be coaching for his job right now at USC
That's the coach that married someone way above his pay grade.

Reactions: lawpoke87
That's the coach that married someone way above his pay grade.
You mean this chick? I'd say she was out of his league, but the price is right into his pay grade. She gained a few pounds here. If you look at their facial structure though, he is probably looking like her daddy, and her like his mommy. That's often part of the reason when somebody is with somebody who doesn't match their partner.

amanda-enfield-wife-of-southern-california-trojans-head-coach-andy-enfield-attends-an-ncaa-basketball-game-between-the-southern-california-trojans-a-2M46067.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT