ADVERTISEMENT

Single Payer - the Next Step to Govt Takeover of HC

rabidTU

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2004
For my 10,000th post, I wanted it to be meaningful and something that may concern us all. So here are "MY" main concerns about Obamacare and its "ulitmate solution" - Single Payer.

Now I've already given some of the facts about what "should" happen when any govt run program takes over a part of the private sector like my analogy of the "car wash" (for those who may have read that post earlier on). And single payer is the ulitmate car wash example of how prices always go up if there isn't competition in the system and basic business principles applied - like the way our govt is run.

Now I'm assuming that Single Payer (for all) will be pretty much what medicare is today for seniors. There will obviously be some differences, but the similarities between the two should be fairly close to each other from what I understand. And I'm also going to include some things/costs about medicaid since the federal govt funds almost 60% of that program.

So here are a few facts (from wikipedia no less) that tell us something about what might occur under SP HC using medicare and medicaid as examples. I will have to restate some of the facts I already posted about costs - so bare with me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Budget for Medicare (1966-67) = appr $3,000,000,000
(2010) Budget for Medicare = appr $525,000,000,000
Fact: The original budget for Medicare was 1/175th its size today (non adjusted) or 175 times its original cost
in those 43 years.
Medicare currently covers less than 14% (senior americans over 65) and those qualified "disabled" are a small amount beyond that.
Those who are not seniors make up the rest - appr 85% of the population
The budget for both medicare and medicaid was projected to be over $750,000,000,000 in 2011.
The cost of medicare alone is projected to be nearly 1 trillion dollars (about $932,000,000,000) by 2020-21 because of the baby boom retirees.
Medicaid curently "assists" 60% of the costs for all unwed mothers and 37% of all those childbirths.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So those seem to be the facts of the federal govt run system of entitled medicare. The key to all the stats IMO is that we will be covering perhaps 20,000,000 americans (medicare) and the projected costs will be almost 1 trillion dollars by 2020. But that leaves 80% of the population leftover. Now we all know that the older population is much "sicker" than the younguns, but the young need healthcare as well. My question is this. Will Single Payer be more of the same confusing system we now have (Obamacare)? Will it be worse? More expensive than what we now have? Will it lead to "rationing" (of medicine, doctors and supplies), "delay of services" (which is the solution in Europe and Canada) and "triage" (and ultimately) death panels because of costs?

But an even more profound question is this. Should the govt even be involved in our HC at all? Will our lives and our society be better off with MORE govt controlling more of our lives and will our kids be better off for it in the end when the bills are due? Do we want the federal govt deciding "whether" we are born, when and whether we can see a doctor/hospital and when we should be terminated?

So IMO thats the ultimate set of questions that will confront us in the future when and if Obamacare fails and single payer is instated. What kind of world we want our kids to live in - thats what we have to ask ourselves IMO.

Hope this wasn't too long.

This post was edited on 1/16 4:31 PM by rabidTU

Vets: serve their country and recive some free health care if they live near a vet hospital

Meducare: you work for 40 or 50 year while the gvoernmrnt takes 10 - 15% from your paycheck for your future hi needs. You retire, and you still have to pay an additional $1200.00 - $3500.00/year for hi.

Single payer: contributes nothing. Gets unlimited health care.

Why doent everyone have to "pay his fair share"?

Last edited:
Vets: serve their country and recive some free health care if they live near a vet hospital

Meducare: you work for 40 or 50 year while the gvoernmrnt takes 10 - 15% from your paycheck for your future hi needs. You retire, and you still have to pay an additional $1200.00 - $3500.00/year for hi.

Single payer: contributes nothing. Gets unlimited health care.

Why doent everyone have to "pay his fair share"?
Poor ole me. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

I think this entire argument is confounded. The ballooning of the medicare budget has less to do with the rising cost of medicare itself than with the rising cost of medical care in the US as a whole.

If: Medicare had originally been constructed as a full single payer system, it's likely that doctors and medical staff would make a wage that is more in line with what they were making decades ago with an increases for national inflation, education requirements, and cost of living taken into account. There wouldn't be MASSIVE insurance industry that sprang up around medical care and required perpetual growth to satisfy investors. There wouldn't have been an entire industry that developed around medical billing / coding which we see ballooning our medical costs these days. The pharmaceutical industry could have been regulated to allow research to continue but to ensure fair and negotiated drug pricing for the nation's population.

Instead, the US chose to adopt 1/3rd of a national single payer system for the elderly while letting the private system for those under retirement age run rampant with very little in the way of actual substantive structural regulation of the insurance industry. So, ballooning costs in the private markets swelled over to the public medicare system.

As far as care goes... care will be fine. You do hear about some horror stories in places with socialized healthcare regarding things like wait times... but that's not much different that things you hear about people waiting tens of hours in US emergency rooms. Triage is Triage. It won't change. As far as longer-term care goes... I bet if you asked most Americans if they would rather pay enormous premiums only to be racked with medical debt even though they have health insurance for relatively minor medical events or wait to be treated for a week or two if their ailment wasn't considered egregiously serious. I bet they'd choose the latter option if it meant less financial distress for months or years to come.

Reactions: Watu3
Obama and the democrats could have fix this for all. But aca was written to fail. Ask the architect.

Medicare costs $6000.00 - $8000.00 a year per person. Not a panacea.

Ignores that every other modern industrial country has a HC system that costs less, covers everyone and has better outcomes using a number of different approaches, including private sector competition.

Just ignoring what works better elsewhere and throwing up one’s hands in dismay almost meets the definition of insanity.

Last edited:
Single payer?
How do you get a guy living under a bridge to buy insurance.

Single payer means TAXPAYER.

Just one more refusal to look beyond one’s own biases? Somehow multiple countries cover everyone for a fraction of what the US currently spends to cover only part of the population. Not even curious?

Single payer?
How do you get a guy living under a bridge to buy insurance.

Single payer means TAXPAYER.

Last edited:
Just one more refusal to look beyond one’s own biases? Somehow multiple countries cover everyone for a fraction of what the US currently spends to cover only part of the population. Not even curious?

before obamacare mandate, not everyone had health insurance, but they did have access to free health care.

Now after Obamacare mandate, 80% of the people aca targeted, still have no health insurance by their own choice, and millions that had health insurance lost theirs.

Great system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT