ADVERTISEMENT

Road trips

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Sep 28, 2006
Anybody planning a road trip this season? We usually try and do one road game a year and make a small vacation out of it. These are typically non-conference games for us, but I can make the argument against Jonesboro and Stoolwater being considered legit road trips. As I can make those games in one weekend or less.

Taking into consideration I've already been to UCF and Houston this narrows it down to Navy and USF. Navy seems more appealing, especially since we have never been to D.C. but that late in the year would probably be more enjoyable weather wise in Tampa.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Yes one road game/ mini vacay per season has been my pattern. Next year kinda stinks on that front. I too was looking at Annapolis, but Tampa sounds like an excellent destination. Seasons after this next one have better road trips.

Been to both twice. If I had to choose, I’d go with Navy.

Navy throws out the stops in terms of atmosphere. Small stadium, the corps of cadets, fly overs, guns going off, statues and such. The TU Alumni Association usually has a big tailgate. It’s a little cold but bearable near the ocean. We’ve all been a lot colder at Skelly that time of year. And you can drive into DC and see the Constitution or a priceless painting or the MLK memorial. Or maybe a relative or celebrity resting in Arlington.

USF plays in the Bucs stadium. It’s huge. And they pull 20,000 or so. Tailgate Atmosphere is bare parking lot for a mile surrounded by strip clubs and Motel 6s. The beach is an hour by car. The bay is a water view, but yuck. Way too much hair gel and flexing from the local gentry. The retirees make it tough to get around. Good cigars and some night life in Ybor but I would just go to NOLA or Key West and skip Tampa.

I've wanted to go to Annapolis since we started playing the Middies in Conf. As ex-Navy, not to mention my late father as a Pearl Harbor survivor(check out the total destruction of his destroyer-USS Downes in dry-dock at the Navy yard on 12/07/41), USN history is very meaningful to me. Of course, I want TU to beat their A$$ every year, but the trip would be great.

I've wanted to go to Annapolis since we started playing the Middies in Conf. As ex-Navy, not to mention my late father as a Pearl Harbor survivor(check out the total destruction of his destroyer-USS Downes in dry-dock at the Navy yard on 12/07/41), USN history is very meaningful to me. Of course, I want TU to beat their A$$ every year, but the trip would be great.
Annapolis is nice. I go there every year for a conference. I'd pick that hands down. But I like smaller towns and so am biased toward that. The crab cakes are the best around at Chick and Ruth's Delly. It's a hole in the wall, but sometimes those are the places to go.

I've been to Tampa too a few times. It's nice, has some great Cuban restaurants, and a truly excellent aquarium. The beaches over by St. Petes and Clearwater are great, but be prepared to wait hours in a line of cars to actually get there. But I see tons of big cities all the time, and they all kind of start to feel the same to me, which is why I like places like Annapolis more.

Edit: If anyone here does go to Annapolis, I'd recommend the Historic Inns of Annapolis as the place to stay. It's actually three hotels that are converted historic buildings in the roundabout surrounding the capitol building. It's surprisingly affordable (if you book ahead), and it is right in the middle of everything.

Attending a game at the Naval Academy is very impressive; watching the troupes enter the stadium.

will there be football next year?

I have been a college football fan since 1958. One of my earliest memories was watching about 10 buses of Navy Midshipman driving up Fifth Avenue in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh before a 1964 game between Pitt and Navy at Pitt Stadium. Roger Staubach was the Navy QB that day. He had won the Heisman Trophy the year before and led Navy to a National Championship. That day in 1964 Pitt and Navy tied 14-14. The Panthers record at that point in the season was 2-2-2. I have seen Navy play a number of times during my life in Pittsburgh. I have never seen Navy play at Annapolis. If it is possible I would like to make that trip. My late wife and youngest son and I, have been on a number of TU Football trips, including Notre Dame, Kansas, Rice, Memphis, Boise, West Virginia, and of course Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, SMU and North Texas. A trip to Navy would cap off my TU fan career.

Last edited:
I fortunately avoided the massive layoffs at my company this week. If we end up furloughing the rest, my roadtrips will probably be limited to Stillwater and Jonesboro

Last edited:
Reactions: TU Pablo Jr
I fortunately avoided the massive layoffs at my company this week. If we end up furloughing the rest, my roadtrips will probably be limited to Stillwater and Jonesboro
Good luck with your work. In my case, I have been my own boss for 47 years. At one time about 10 years ago I had 14 employees, including my wife and father-in-law. Over time people left or died (my father-in-law, my wife) and we just did not replace them. I now only have one other employee. We are able to do our work at our office because we deal with our clients by phone and mail. We deal with the government agencies electronically and now they are doing some of the in person work by telephone. I do have some months of turkey and some of feathers, however.

Reactions: jesterondirt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT