ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule to Baylor

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Reports are that Baylor is hiring Matt Rhule from Temple. He's a good coach and has done a great job with Temple who was pretty hapless before he arrived. This move doesn't make sense on either side though. Rhule has ZERO ties to Texas. Never coached there, didn't play anywhere near there. Outside of a brief stint as a coach at UCLA, he's never even coached outside of the eastern time zone other than road trips he has gone on with teams. Baylor more than ever needs a coach with ties to TX because it will have to rebuild with the hidden gems of TX HS football. I just don't see how this is a good move for Rhule.

It is strange. I figured Rhule would wait for an east coast job. There were better jobs out there. Baylor is a dumpster fire for the time being.

Seems that this was a character hire for Baylor. I can't imagine Rhule is going into this situation completely blind. He likely knows coaches with Texas ties or will retain some from the current staff.

It's not unheard of for coaches to take over jobs in regions they have never coached before. The lack of ties can be overcome with hardwork, lots of grass-roots ground game with Texas high school coaches. Rhule may struggle for a couple years as he works to gain in-roads, but his clean reputation will likely serve him well as a trust factor. I would be shocked if Rhule has not been recruiting Texas the past 3 years since Temple became aligned with SMU and Houston.

TX

Last edited:
Seems that this was a character hire for Baylor. I can't imagine Rhule is going into this situation completely blind. He likely knows coaches with Texas ties or will retain some from the current staff.

TX
Because of their ties and loyalty to CAB, it would be difficult for Rhule to keep any member of the current staff. I joked on Twitter that he should keep Kendall Briles around as a kick in the teeth to the Baylor board and admin.

On the surface it's just a weird fit.

The mental place someone would be to take this job is intriguing to me. It's clearly a long term rebuild. Tons of money on a long contract. It's pretty difficult to fall short of expectations. I mean, you're a success if you just aren't garbage.

Kind of a low bar, I guess is what I'm saying. If someone is into that.

I looked at Temple's commit lists from 2013 and not a single player from Texas, which I find very surprising. A number of players from Florida, which makes sense.

TX

Because of their ties and loyalty to CAB, it would be difficult for Rhule to keep any member of the current staff. I joked on Twitter that he should keep Kendall Briles around as a kick in the teeth to the Baylor board and admin.
I get the association factor, but I find it hard to believe the entire staff played a role in the corruption. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

TX

Also of note, it is rumored the Oregon is interested in Gumby the Mullethead!

I'm OK with both hires since we will "probably" be playing both next year. I assume we won't play the same "eastern" three" we have the last two seasons and will play USF, Temple and UCONN. USF and Temple scare the beegeebees out of me, especially on the road.

I get the association factor, but I find it hard to believe the entire staff played a role in the corruption. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

TX
I honestly don't think it was a staff as a whole and it is possible CAB didn't know what the assistants were telling the girls and then shoving it under the bed. Question if he didn't know is why didn't he? The rest will always be guilty by association, fair or not and the majority of the staff have already shown their loyalty to CAB with the t-shirt stunt (coincidentally they haven't won since then) and it would be very awkward to keep any of them.

Also, if you've read any of the report filed by the former Title IX coordinator (hired after all the mess), Baylor still doesn't get it. When another accusation came up she was pressured by board members to not acknowledge it. Seriously, the culture there is so jacked up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT