ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting -- 3-star LB building relationship with TU coaches

Here's info on another recruit who has signed. Anthony Watkins, an RB xfer from Mizzou. Played in 1 game so I guess he didn't burn his redshirt in 2019. Had a stellar HS career in the Ft. Worth 'burbs.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Here's info on another recruit who has signed. Anthony Watkins, an RB xfer from Mizzou. Played in 1 game so I guess he didn't burn his redshirt in 2019. Had a stellar HS career in the Ft. Worth 'burbs.
I'm sure Gragg will screw this up somehow. Rumors on the Mizzou board and some of the info going back and forth is that he was run off to either free up a scholarship or as part of the reductions from sanctions. If that's true then he should be granted immediate eligibility. I know Watkins and his parents are under the impression his scholarship wasn't renewed.

Why should he have to even apply for a waiver, he was already coming off of a RS season

Why should he have to even apply for a waiver, he was already coming off of a RS season
???

Becuz he is a first year transfer, and there are rules about transfers that still exist. The one time transfer rule doesn't go into effect, as far as I know, until '21.

???

Becuz he is a first year transfer, and there are rules about transfers that still exist. The one time transfer rule doesn't go into effect, as far as I know, until '21.
I thought there was an exception for kids who were coming off a redshirt season. It wouldn't make any sense to me to make a kid sit out for two years in a row for basically no reason.

I thought there was an exception for kids who were coming off a redshirt season. It wouldn't make any sense to me to make a kid sit out for two years in a row for basically no reason.
As far as I knew he had to still get approval, but it would not be hard to get the exception approved.

???

If ever. It hasn't passed at the NCAA level yet.

As far as I knew he had to still get approval, but it would not be hard to get the exception approved.
For any competent athletic director. We've seen numerous times over the last 4-5 years that our AD fouls this process up every time. We can't get kids moving 1000 miles closer to home whose parent is dying of cancer the extenuating circumstance waiver. We can't get kids who transfer because of coaching changes eligible despite the fact that 4 other kids from the same school were all granted immediate eligibility. This kid sat out and appears to have his scholarship WD by his previous school which to me says "IMMEDIATE ELIGIBILITY" yet I anticipate him only getting to play 3 years in a TU uniform.

Just cause you can play doesn’t mean you should. Many of these guys are technically eligible but playing immediately puts them in immediate academic jeopardy again. And that doesn’t do us any favors long term either in attrition, lost investment in the player and APR. would love to see the grad rate of the transfers who didn’t get a waivers. I’m betting it’s high.

Many of these guys are technically eligible but playing immediately puts them in immediate academic jeopardy again.
Just might be the case with this guy. However, his major at Mizzou was engineering and apparently his grades were very good that first year.

And Bla is right. Sounds like certain coaches shined him on about scollies, Covid, sanctions, etc. and just dumped him. They let him keep his scholarship but must have had enough of their crap. MU's loss could very well be our gain in a year or two.

Last edited:
Just cause you can play doesn’t mean you should. Many of these guys are technically eligible but playing immediately puts them in immediate academic jeopardy again. And that doesn’t do us any favors long term either in attrition, lost investment in the player and APR. would love to see the grad rate of the transfers who didn’t get a waivers. I’m betting it’s high.
Maybe that's the excuse for Gragg. The weaker students, he goes in a less positive direction with his appeal. The ones that he's confident in academically, he goes in a direction that gives them the best chance. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT