ADVERTISEMENT

QuickTrip Football Stadium

Thank you QT for the new stadium ! I would have settled for the largest NIL annual donation in the AAC each year ! You are the best !

I wouldn't ever want TU to go "modern" with their stadium look (amenities, yes). They would need to keep the sandstone and old time feel to the stadium somehow.
100% agree. Right now, the only things I can think of to improve the stadium and not be a monstrosity we couldn't fill, is adding some suites/ cover on the east side, bowling in the south end, and expanding the video board to be the width of the stadium. The other things would be to modernize the amenities on the east side (concessions stands and bathrooms)

100% agree. Right now, the only things I can think of to improve the stadium and not be a monstrosity we couldn't fill, is adding some suites/ cover on the east side, bowling in the south end, and expanding the video board to be the width of the stadium. The other things would be to modernize the amenities on the east side (concessions stands and bathrooms)
And that all happens after the IPF is built.

The big question then is where would the IPF be built? At one point it was speculated that Mabee Gym would be demolished for the IPF. It’s doubtful that they would take over Harwell Field for an IPF.

And that all happens after the IPF is built.

The big question then is where would the IPF be built? At one point it was speculated that Mabee Gym would be demolished for the IPF. It’s doubtful that they would take over Harwell Field for an IPF.
I would suspect where Maybe is or west of Delaware.

• Wow
Reactions: TU 1978
Last I heard was near Bama west of Delaware.
So that would require some additional (A LOT) drainage and improvements to handle water. That's the reason that drainage ditch exists. It just so happens TU put good sod on it and uses it as a soccer practice field...and even though it's a flood prevention area, it is still one of the nicest pitches in the state. Honestly, there's not much stopping them from rebuilding on the Mabee and parking lot footprint there to build an IPF and attach it to athletic offices on the west side. Campo can be relocated. You can extend the current gym complex to the street between LaFortune and the parking lot. You don't lose that many spaces that it would throw the campus into chaos.
I would hate it if they put it on Harwell. That's a green space that needs to remain.

Reactions: TU 1978
So that would require some additional (A LOT) drainage and improvements to handle water. That's the reason that drainage ditch exists. It just so happens TU put good sod on it and uses it as a soccer practice field...and even though it's a flood prevention area, it is still one of the nicest pitches in the state. Honestly, there's not much stopping them from rebuilding on the Mabee and parking lot footprint there to build an IPF and attach it to athletic offices on the west side. Campo can be relocated. You can extend the current gym complex to the street between LaFortune and the parking lot. You don't lose that many spaces that it would throw the campus into chaos.
I would hate it if they put it on Harwell. That's a green space that needs to remain.
I believe harwell is no longer an option (for the reason you mentioned). Mabee Gym is on the table as well, but I don’t think anything is set in stone at this point.

I believe harwell is no longer an option (for the reason you mentioned). Mabee Gym is on the table as well, but I don’t think anything is set in stone at this point.
An IPF built on the footprint of Mabee Gym could actually extend south towards the Case Complex if 8th street could be closed.

I wouldn't ever want TU to go "modern" with their stadium look (amenities, yes). They would need to keep the sandstone and old time feel to the stadium somehow.
Everything gets the "Green Light" except changing out the horse trough urinals
in the men's restrooms . They do a tremendous job eliminating "MD" (man
dribble) while keeping that 1930 tradition .

Been attending since the 1960s. I remember when the erector set was added to the west side. Of course, some of us neighborhood kids snuck in play on the field when it wasn’t being used. The original Astroturf (carpet over asphalt) was a pain.

Reactions: TulsaGrad07
That would be funny if they got thousands of calls thanking them for a stadium and in turn it made them actually think about doing it! We could cause the donation! lol....or I could just buy some fritos on the way home...we shall see.

That would be funny if they got thousands of calls thanking them for a stadium and in turn it made them actually think about doing it! We could cause the donation! lol....or I could just buy some fritos on the way home...we shall see.
"Dear Chet,
I can thank you enough for making TU's stadium dream a reality. I am looking forward to bringing the family to events there as often as I can. QT really is a pillar of the Tulsa community and again, I can't thank you enough.

By the way, I do make it a point to go out of the way to find a QT whenever I need gas or just a "snackle" :) And that's true not only in Tulsa but whenever I travel to St. Louis, Kansas City, or Tucson.

Again, thank you and I can't wait to see the finished stadium!

Sincerely,
Diehard TU Fan and Alum
(And Loyal QT Patron)"

I would just be happy with a video board in the north endzone. I made this mock-up a while back. I agree with most that the stadium fits TU well. We don't need a modern stadium but bowling in the south endzone, adding more suites to the East side, and doing something creative in the north endzone would make it feel like a more modern stadium without losing its charm. When it's full it looks great and I don't think it feels that small.

I always love the "spirit stick" measuring on here. If anything this group makes up 10-15% of the crowd on game day. Several of us have watched our kids grow up together at games. I was going to games long before i went to TU and i have had the same 4 seats since '98. My son used my seats for the OU game because Mrs N. And I were in Europe on business (she is a travel advisor and we were on a trip to review a new partner). He caught crap from people who had never been in the seats around us because he wore a TU shirt and an OU hat. To his credit he schooled them on the people who normally sit in those seats and asked them where they were for the midnight game vs OSU, if they were such big fans.
This group were regulars at the 'Birds Nest and many have worn out multiple cars driving to games.
Would I like to see a new stadium .. sure, who doesnt like new toys. But, logistics and reality also have to be taken into account. We have a lot more priorities to address first. If KW can build a consistent winner and makes a commitment to sustain success, then we can talk about those priorities and get them funded. Maybe then we talk seriously about a new stadium. But, sustained success come first.

When I was a kid, my parents always prioritized our schedule around Tulsa football and they did their very best to attend every game.

I’ve tried to keep that up the best I can, but I have missed 4 games in the past 50 years due to youth sports and/or marching band. Friday games really mess things up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT