ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterbacks

dlsnid

I.T.S. Senior
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2004
Has anybody been out to see the quarterbacks who is looking the best?

Smith has strongest arm but is not the most accurate. I put a premium on accuracy in college. Accuracy moves chains.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Smith has strongest arm but is not the most accurate. I put a premium on accuracy in college. Accuracy moves chains.

He put up numbers in the big 12 and hasn’t played in a while, my guess is he’s better than what you saw and way better than Boomer.

Best way to tell is putting the 1s on offense against the 1s on defense. Why do they have the 1s on offense go against the 2s on defense in Spring game? Why do they have 2s on offense go against 1s on defense? That tells more about the 2s than 1s IMO.

Reactions: bigstar18
He put up numbers in the big 12 and hasn’t played in a while, my guess is he’s better than what you saw and way better than Boomer.
Meh.

We will see. I think he will be better than the alternatives but none of the options are close to Evans and Evans is a legit pro player that the coach didn’t trust with the full offense until his final 8 games so who’s in there may not matter.

Smith:

He was a prep all American. But so was Hefley.

He was academic Big 12, but so was Stacey King who was Prop 48 and has admitted he struggled with basic literacy until late in life.

He had a great game against OU, but started against Texas and went 4 for 11 for 37 and an interception. 2 for 5 against TCU off the bench isn’t spark you want to see. He does better against historically weak defenses. OU, Tech, etc.

He was hurt a lot. And he got benched a lot.

He has the strongest arm on the team, not doubt about that. He was subbed in at Baylor for Hail Marys. So that should make teams scheme for the deep hole shot when he is on the field. Which is good. Should loosen up the short stuff a little.

Basically he played in half the games while at Baylor. He had a 50% completion percentage with about 1500 yards each season. Solid mid pack Big 12 numbers, but was never a field dominating talent or the key threat for Baylor.

The bottom line is that he has had an up and down career with up and down games. Most of his success has come against vulnerable teams.

If he can stay healthy, Montgomery has a project that will give us a window into his coaching skills.

If he isn’t ready and is simply the best option amongst worse options, then this could be another long season.

I think the idea that he is a transformative talent is misplaced and unfair to him, based on what we’ve seen so far.

I am ready to see a QB being aggressive on the throwing aspect of the offense. I thing we handed it off way too much on the 50/50 balls when throwing was an option.

I am ready to see a QB being aggressive on the throwing aspect of the offense. I thing we handed it off way too much on the 50/50 balls when throwing was an option.

Talk to the OC about his conservative play calling.

As a side note if at best the new guy is a project that will give us a window into Monty's coaching ability, we should have just nailed that window shut last year.

Some believe all Monty needs is a good QB, so if he's a project it's more of the same and we have seen what Monty has done with projects already.

I really wish it was just the QB, and admittedly there have been limitations with the QBs after Evan. President is a runner, Boomer is young, etc. Just not sure that's the issue, starting to believe it is a symptom.

My guess is the QB has the decision on the 50/50 reads to either hand it or keep it. If the QB decides to hand it almost all the time it tends to become predictable for the other team's defense. If the OC tells the QB to hand it whenever it is a 50/50 then the QB has no choice. I am not sure which is happening. I like that Montgomery has said he wants to be more aggressive this year.

My guess is the QB has the decision on the 50/50 reads to either hand it or keep it. If the QB decides to hand it almost all the time it tends to become predictable for the other team's defense. If the OC tells the QB to hand it whenever it is a 50/50 then the QB has no choice. I am not sure which is happening. I like that Montgomery has said he wants to be more aggressive this year.
There’s a couple of videos on YouTube that explains the base package and the reads. And if you spend the time hunting, a few that explain how to blow up the basic line calls. You've got some of it right, but it’s not as simple as a QB check down to run based on pre-snap read. Short answer: most of the time it’s being called from the sideline.

Reactions: TU_BLA and Aboomer
Does anyone know what percentage of plays were a run on first down and second down? That number has to be extremely high. I hope this year is different.

Does anyone know what percentage of plays were a run on first down and second down? That number has to be extremely high. I hope this year is different.
It’s hard when you struggle to complete 50% of your passes. Passing at that rate means you’re going to have several 3rd and long in every drive. Maybe it would help with the completion rate but it has to for it to work better than the predictable runs.

Best way to tell is putting the 1s on offense against the 1s on defense. Why do they have the 1s on offense go against the 2s on defense in Spring game? Why do they have 2s on offense go against 1s on defense? That tells more about the 2s than 1s IMO.

I like the idea of 1's vs 2's. If someone stands out on a #2 team, you cant use the excuse of "well he wouldnt play like that against a starter"

But at the same time it's difficult to tell how good the 1s really are when they are going against the 2s. Maybe they should mix them up from time to time.

Guaranteed they have good on good during multiple periods every practice. Open scrimmages are generally about trying to see your best units have success while minimizing injuries and seeing if the pups step up. I always hated spring ball. Fall camp without any payoff.

How much weight has Brin gained? If he is over 200lbs I would like to see what he can do. I heard last year he was very accurate and gets rid of it very quick but his body needed to mature. Hopefully he has gained some lbs.

How much weight has Brin gained? If he is over 200lbs I would like to see what he can do. I heard last year he was very accurate and gets rid of it very quick but his body needed to mature. Hopefully he has gained some lbs.
I’m not sure of any of that, but I’m sure concerned that he isn’t in the conversation given the performance last year and the unknowns of Smith.

They schemed Boomer into limited situations where he could succeed. They did a really good job of that last years.

That said, there were significant performance issues that showed that Boomer wasn’t ready for the full offense and lacked some physical tools you’d like to see.

The fact that Brin isn’t at least in the conversation a little bit makes me wonder why he was recruited and whether this is yet another miss on recruiting as he was at most third on our board at that position that year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT