ADVERTISEMENT

Protest - please skip Saturday's game

drboobay

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Hi all. I say this not out of anger but rather out of love for Tulsa basketball.

If Haith is still the coach Saturday I would encourage those of you still attending to avoid going to the USF game. That is my plan. Hope you will join me to try to put the cherry on top of the message.

Or go and boo him when we walks on the court or signs urging him to resign

Reactions: goldfan83
Or go and boo him when we walks on the court or signs urging him to resign
I boo'ed Phillips during his last season and I promptly got a call from Judy's office saying my season tickets would be suspended if my behavior continued to be negative at games and then they cited the sportsmanship BS

I boo'ed Phillips during his last season and I promptly got a call from Judy's office saying my season tickets would be suspended if my behavior continued to be negative at games and then they cited the sportsmanship BS
I don’t think booing helps, but a few signs held up of non approval showed up At Phillips’ last two home games and everyone made mention of them. Memphis brought “ We still believe in Penny” signs. Paper bags over heads are still popular. 😂

I don't think you'll have to work very hard to convince people not to go watch two 6-12 teams stick their fingers up their respective a$$es.

“Oh, you’re going to suspend my season tickets for the multi year rebuild that we’re looking at? You’ll be lucky if I renew them at all”

I got one of those calls.. i countered and said if Judy wants to discuss the state of the program, she knows where I sit.

It might have been a fun discussion. She could have explained to me how the transfer threats of group of seniors and short term success was more important than the long term vision for the program... i could have shown her how to make change for a $20.

I have seen others post it here, I have suggested it, and now there is a thread on this board about it.

Don't just not show up. Go buy tickets to and attend the women's game. Make it a clear comparison of what you are for and against.

The ladies play a great game, they hustle, their coach addresses areas they struggle in and you see improvement. Memphis had size and TU struggled a couple weeks ago by allowing 18 offensive rebounds. The team put in some hard work and only allowed Memphis 7 offensive rebounds last night. Tulsa actually finished with more offensive rebounds and rebounds overall than Memphis.

Go buy tickets to that. Make it clear what we want to see, good coaching, local kids, team effort. We get that and the wins will come just like they did for the women's team, Tubby, Self, Dobbs, etc. Its what works at Tulsa.

So this morning, crickets.

Any of you sports radio folks hearing chatter on the debacle?

I have seen others post it here, I have suggested it, and now there is a thread on this board about it.

Don't just not show up. Go buy tickets to and attend the women's game. Make it a clear comparison of what you are for and against.

The ladies play a great game, they hustle, their coach addresses areas they struggle in and you see improvement. Memphis had size and TU struggled a couple weeks ago by allowing 18 offensive rebounds. The team put in some hard work and only allowed Memphis 7 offensive rebounds last night. Tulsa actually finished with more offensive rebounds and rebounds overall than Memphis.

Go buy tickets to that. Make it clear what we want to see, good coaching, local kids, team effort. We get that and the wins will come just like they did for the women's team, Tubby, Self, Dobbs, etc. Its what works at Tulsa.
The women are actually a lot of fun to watch. They can nail 3's (consistently), they don't give up TONS of 3's like the men, they actually move on offense, and the coach makes adjustments......everything you don't get at a men's game (not to mention it's dirt cheap)

The women are actually a lot of fun to watch. They can nail 3's (consistently), they don't give up TONS of 3's like the men, they actually move on offense, and the coach makes adjustments......everything you don't get at a men's game (not to mention it's dirt cheap)
And the gritty in your face defense and lots of active hands. They get a lot of extra possessions from trying to steal rebounds and getting after passing lanes. They also prevent a lot of fast breaks with this as well.

And the gritty in your face defense and lots of active hands. They get a lot of extra possessions from trying to steal rebounds and getting after passing lanes. They also prevent a lot of fast breaks with this as well.

Lots of steals and easy basket set ups from overall defensive pressure for sure. Our Super Senior has that Cooley like leadership/game minus the defying gravity ability. I think this style of play the girls have really settled into is the way coach wants to play and it's fun to watch.

Reactions: TU 1978
Lots of steals and easy basket set ups from overall defensive pressure for sure. Our Super Senior has that Cooley like leadership/game minus the defying gravity ability. I think this style of play the girls have really settled into is the way coach wants to play and it's fun to watch.
Can't wait to see who Nelp brings in next year to add to this group.

I have had Basketball season tickets since 1980. I have seen the heights and a few lows. I am a True Blue Alumni of the TU Law School. I like it when my team wins and competes. I am disappointed when my team does not win. I am not going to boo or stay at home. TU already has my money. I am a Man for All Seasons: Baseball Season (Pittsburgh Pirates and Tulsa Drillers); Football (TU, Pitt Panthers and Pittsburgh Steelers), Basketball (TU, Pitt Panthers and to a very lesser extent OKC Thunder). On a rare occasion I follow the Pittsburgh Penguins in NHL Hockey. I attend approximately 100 live sporting events each year. I look at sports as a hobby, a past-time and a social activity.. I do not live or die or stress over my teams. I resolved a long time ago that there will always be another game or another season. I look at my fandom as a positive thing in my life. I do not want to make it negative. I am not telling anyone else what to do. I will be at the game on Saturday. Currently, my basketball teams are having a rough year. TU needs a win on Saturday. The Pitt Panthers have not done well since Coach Jamie Dixon left for TCU. Jeff Capel, former OU Coach is having a season like TU is. The Steelers had an exciting season that ended in the Playoffs and one and done. I can, however, attest to great memories from all of these teams: Pittsburgh Pirates (three World Series victories in my lifetime); Tulsa Drillers (three Texas League Championships); Steelers (6 Super Bowl Championships) Pitt Panthers (1976 National Championship and 2021 ACC Championship); TU Football (Notre Dame victory, Liberty Bowls etc); TU Basketball (2 NIT Championships and NCAA runs; Pitt Basketball (NCAA runs). Whatever is currently going on with TU Basketball will pass. There will be another game and another season.

Well I can see my campaign is not gaining traction (or those who agree are not responding):)

I will forge ahead using my best judgment as usual.

I have had Basketball season tickets since 1980. I have seen the heights and a few lows. I am a True Blue Alumni of the TU Law School. I like it when my team wins and competes. I am disappointed when my team does not win. I am not going to boo or stay at home. TU already has my money. I am a Man for All Seasons: Baseball Season (Pittsburgh Pirates and Tulsa Drillers); Football (TU, Pitt Panthers and Pittsburgh Steelers), Basketball (TU, Pitt Panthers and to a very lesser extent OKC Thunder). On a rare occasion I follow the Pittsburgh Penguins in NHL Hockey. I attend approximately 100 live sporting events each year. I look at sports as a hobby, a past-time and a social activity.. I do not live or die or stress over my teams. I resolved a long time ago that there will always be another game or another season. I look at my fandom as a positive thing in my life. I do not want to make it negative. I am not telling anyone else what to do. I will be at the game on Saturday. Currently, my basketball teams are having a rough year. TU needs a win on Saturday. The Pitt Panthers have not done well since Coach Jamie Dixon left for TCU. Jeff Capel, former OU Coach is having a season like TU is. The Steelers had an exciting season that ended in the Playoffs and one and done. I can, however, attest to great memories from all of these teams: Pittsburgh Pirates (three World Series victories in my lifetime); Tulsa Drillers (three Texas League Championships); Steelers (6 Super Bowl Championships) Pitt Panthers (1976 National Championship and 2021 ACC Championship); TU Football (Notre Dame victory, Liberty Bowls etc); TU Basketball (2 NIT Championships and NCAA runs; Pitt Basketball (NCAA runs). Whatever is currently going on with TU Basketball will pass. There will be another game and another season.
I can respect this...but there is a need for the university to do better in this regard as athletics programs, and winning ones at that, are a factor in matriculation decisions for prospective students. The athletic programs are also a key factor in community relations between the university and the general Tulsa community. Right now the basketball program is failing in this regard. And after witnessing last night's debacle, it is failing in developing the young men on the team further both in a basketball standpoint and a character standpoint (no one can tell me this team hasn't quit and is going through the motions). The program needs new energy and that will only happen by starting over with a new coaching staff.

BTW, one of my favorite NCAA basketball moments was the "Send it in Jerome" call from Raftery when Jerome Lane broke the backboard in a game vs Providence College in the 80s. I miss the Big East (the real Big East)

Well I can see my campaign is not gaining traction (or those who agree are not responding):)

I will forge ahead using my best judgment as usual.

You just held on too long (me too and I agree with you 100%), there are a few others left like you. Mostly though it's the people who have no idea that college sports aren't like the pros, or forget that even the pros have teams that fold or even entire leagues or the absolute die hards who won't let go or in TU's case are too old to let go now.

It's why our AD feels no need to pay attention to fans or alums, pats himself on the back for out fundraising a guy whose only skill was filling out paperwork and he wasn't very good at that.

It's why we just extended both revenue sports coaches despite the fact that neither is generating any revenue and seemingly have no plan to in the future. Why one of our few successful programs softball lost its head coach as an assitant to OSU a program we are arguably as competitive as durring that coach's tenure here.

This is what you will get from now on, "be happy with it or leave we don't need you" is the Athletic Department/Administration's position. So the people who care left in droves and we are stuck here teetering as major college athletics prepares to make a big separation from the people doing exactly what we are and the people who want to be on the top level.

Meanwhile anyone want to explain how a local expensive private university focused on tech will survive as fewer and fewer locals have any relationship with the school? Because all of these academic people seem unaware that the schools local ties and networking is almost entirely athletics related. Anyone who is unnsure about that, how many people do you know who have no connection to a TU student/employee but know we play football and basketball?

But oh well there is always next year till there isn't

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Can't wait to see who Nelp brings in next year to add to this group.
My money is that she will be hired away. Are we really willing to pay the women’s basketball coach a retainer when we’re going to need cash for Haith’s replacement as well as possibly Monty’s in the near term?

My money is that she will be hired away. Are we really willing to pay the women’s basketball coach a retainer when we’re going to need cash for Haith’s replacement as well as possibly Monty’s in the near term?
Not after 1 year. She'll probably be here 3 years and then someone like Kansas, TCU, or OkState will call on her.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Not after 1 year. She'll probably be here 3 years and then someone like Kansas, TCU, or OkState will call on her.
thats our delemma, LOOSE a coach with 2, 3 or 4 good seasons, or coach KEEP a coach with 8 or 10 bad seasons.

What’s the pay scale between our conference and the B12 SEC or P12 for women’s coachs? I’m guessing it’s sizeable enough, and she’s shown enough that someone will poach her.

I don’t expect that as a 1st time HC she’s making a ton with us.

Yessir. Also “Lets Go Caps”. Lol

thats our delemma, LOOSE a coach with 2, 3 or 4 good seasons, or coach KEEP a coach with 8 or 10 bad seasons.
Well haith has been the coach here 8 years. That includes this year. He has had 3 losing seasons. 16-17, 20-21 and this year. The rest of the seasons he has had winning records.

mossman though had 1 winning season the whole time she was here. She was only here for 7 years

Well haith has been the coach here 8 years. That includes this year. He has had 3 losing seasons. 16-17, 20-21 and this year. The rest of the seasons he has had winning records.

mossman though had 1 winning season the whole time she was here. She was only here for 7 years
One NCAA bid in 8 years. And it was a fluke that was quickly borne out. Nolan , JD, Tubby, Robinson, Self, and even Phillips had multiple NCAA bids all in less than 8 years. Haith not even close to the bubble in last few years.

Reactions: TUMU and drboobay
You just held on too long (me too and I agree with you 100%), there are a few others left like you. Mostly though it's the people who have no idea that college sports aren't like the pros, or forget that even the pros have teams that fold or even entire leagues or the absolute die hards who won't let go or in TU's case are too old to let go now.

It's why our AD feels no need to pay attention to fans or alums, pats himself on the back for out fundraising a guy whose only skill was filling out paperwork and he wasn't very good at that.

It's why we just extended both revenue sports coaches despite the fact that neither is generating any revenue and seemingly have no plan to in the future. Why one of our few successful programs softball lost its head coach as an assitant to OSU a program we are arguably as competitive as durring that coach's tenure here.

This is what you will get from now on, "be happy with it or leave we don't need you" is the Athletic Department/Administration's position. So the people who care left in droves and we are stuck here teetering as major college athletics prepares to make a big separation from the people doing exactly what we are and the people who want to be on the top level.

Meanwhile anyone want to explain how a local expensive private university focused on tech will survive as fewer and fewer locals have any relationship with the school? Because all of these academic people seem unaware that the schools local ties and networking is almost entirely athletics related. Anyone who is unnsure about that, how many people do you know who have no connection to a TU student/employee but know we play football and basketball?

But oh well there is always next year till there isn't
You put your finger on the big question - what role does the admin see for athletics at TU and how important is athletics for TU's larger mission and goals? If they see if like you, we might see some positive change. Janet thought of athletics kind of like Travis Scott thinks about security - don't want it, don't need it, would get rid of it if they could but it's required it so spend as little as you can on it. But Brad might be different. We just don't know yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT