ADVERTISEMENT

Positives in a Sea of Chagrin

Hurricane Drummer II

I.T.S. Sophomore
Sep 15, 2020
I've seen a handful of positives come from our game Saturday. Thought I'd take a moment to highlight those.

Zaven Collins, LB:
Bednarik Defensive Player of the Week
AAC Weekly Honor Roll

Tyler Smith, LT:
#3 Highest-graded offensive tackle Wk3 from PFF College (90.3 rating)

Aaron Fletcher, CB Coach
Named 247Sports Position coach of the week

Defense
Held Chubba Hubbard and Tylan Wallace both under 100 yards for the day. Broke Hubbards 11 game streak.
Allowed the least amount of points against OSU since 1993.

Team
Won the turnover battle 2-1 (although OSU's was off a garbage time desperation throw)
Made 6 sacks. Only gave up 1 sack.

Congrats to those getting national recognition. Let's keep building and stack up some W's!

The offensive line certainly held up much better than it did all of last season. It did suck to see Couch go down. (Have we heard about him going forward?)

I was really excited about Tyler Smith after watching the couple games he played during the end of last year... kid is a beast. I think the defense might have looked a bit better than they really are due to OSU's 2nd string QB being crap but Collins and Player were disrupting OSU even before their QB went out so I'd still say the defense played well overall.

The offensive line certainly held up much better than it did all of last season. It did suck to see Couch go down. (Have we heard about him going forward?)

I was really excited about Tyler Smith after watching the couple games he played during the end of last year... kid is a beast. I think the defense might have looked a bit better than they really are due to OSU's 2nd string QB being crap but Collins and Player were disrupting OSU even before their QB went out so I'd still say the defense played well overall.
All good points. The O line was definitely a bright spot. Especially if OSU's defense is a good as they say it is. I haven't heard anything about Couch either. I hope he's alright. Tyler Smith seems like the real deal!

A couple more positives to add...
From Kelly Hines article today:

TU Defense leads the nation in Tackles For Loss,
and Kendarin Ray, S is #1 in the country in solo tackles with 11.

Tyler Smith, LT:
#3 Highest-graded offensive tackle Wk3 from PFF College (90.3 rating)
Interesting was the #1 graded tackle was one of OSU's tackles who got torched all day.

On Couch, I haven't heard about his injury yet, it looked like a mid calf injury or where the trainers were looking when it happened. All I know is Tiller Bucktrot, bless him for having the greatest name on the team, is not the answer as the backup. Immediately after he came in he got beat 2-3 times and put both Prince and Smith running for their lives

Interesting was the #1 graded tackle was one of OSU's tackles who got torched all day.

On Couch, I haven't heard about his injury yet, it looked like a mid calf injury or where the trainers were looking when it happened. All I know is Tiller Bucktrot, bless him for having the greatest name on the team, is not the answer as the backup. Immediately after he came in he got beat 2-3 times and put both Prince and Smith running for their lives
Yes. I had much higher hopes for him. Such a great prospect out of high school.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Yes. I had much higher hopes for him. Such a great prospect out of high school.
Yeah. He's a mountain but offensive line play in this day and age requires good feet and I hate to say it, Tiller just doesn't move well. Watch the film of him the other day, he doesn't explode at the snap, his lateral movement is not great and he doesn't have a great punch to stick the DL. You can beat OL like that by lining up in the gap and forcing them to move their feet. Overlapped stunts will also work against that as well. He's a great kid and teammate from all accounts, my observation is just a non-coaching eval of actual play.

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT