ADVERTISEMENT

Player Status

Mack Brown does a 10 minute press gaggle each day after practice. There’s multiple clips each day showing drills with coaches commenting on individual players. Two or three players are interviewed each day. Talking about every thing from whether they are going to play stand up DE more in the new defensive scheme to the lack of emphasis on the mental aspect of catching the ball by the WRs under Larry Fedora.

There’s too much spring game coverage at FSU. OU seems to have a good product.

SMU has players mic’d up for the press during practice and several outlets have daily coverage.

I get that DonTom was a little busy last week, but was it any better last year?

What could he possibly be hiding? He won one game last year. Why would anyone care what we are doing in a practice session? Is anyone copying this offense anymore?

Gus made no secret about his offense. He sold books about it for chrissakes. Fans like me could buy the book and narrow the play call down to two or three possible plays based on alignment, line techique and motion. Graham basically carnival barked out what we were going to do on offense at times. Made no difference. We still won.

Last edited:
Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
If anyone hears anything about how individual players are doing in Spring ball please let the board know. 7 practices left before Spring game and no reporting on how players are looking? That is very disappointing.
With media only getting access to the first 30 minutes of practice, and the public closed off, it's tough to see enough to be able to provide practice reports like we used to. Stretching and warm-ups don't provide much perspective. I'm surprised that the TU website doesn't have anything though since their staff has full access to all the practices.

With that said, we're doing what we can...

Reactions: HuffyCane
Alot of those guys that left aren't really going to cause anything negative not having them, Reed Martin had no business at TU with the runninng backs we have . Will Hefley would not have been competing anyway so that was just a wasted scholarship. Who knows on the others

Reed Martin had no business at TU with the runninng backs we have.
Anybody have any idea whether this is a legit transfer? Twitter is negative, I heard he loved campus, and his girlfriend is the best looking young woman to go to TU in twenty or so years. Doesn’t add up.

Alot of those guys that left aren't really going to cause anything negative not having them, Reed Martin had no business at TU with the runninng backs we have . Will Hefley would not have been competing anyway so that was just a wasted scholarship. Who knows on the others
Norris, Pugh, Wyatt, Welch and Fitzwater all played last season, but most were minor contributors. Flanary and Muhammad would have made an impact in 2019, so stinks to lose them.

We have player that need experience. Our Defense look stacked on DL. We need some young DL to develop. Two 2deep is not good enough. We need up and coming Redshirts to develop get experience and contribute this season.

Chris is right. It's Monty that's restricting access to practices. And why?? All those able to go to Spring Game....take notes! And I suppose that the TW will have a wrap-up the day after. We might have an idea of who's doing what to whom at that time.

Chris is right. It's Monty that's restricting access to practices. And why?? All those able to go to Spring Game....take notes! And I suppose that the TW will have a wrap-up the day after. We might have an idea of who's doing what to whom at that time.
@Larry Lewis will be covering the spring game, and he usually tries to jot down who is running 1st and 2nd team if possible.

It will be interesting to see how deep we are at OL with the second group going against this experienced DL

Reactions: quincy101
My guess is the 1s on offense will go against 2s on defense and that will make the 1s look super impressive. The 2s on offense will have their hands full with the 1s on defense-that is a lopsided fight-all across the board. I would really like to see 1s on 1s to see what we have. Of course if someone on the 2s shines on either side of the ball it will be notable.

Reactions: bigstar18
I am thinking at the 1/2 mark this year they will flip that around and go 1s on 1s the second 1/2. We will see if that happens.

It will be interesting to see how deep we are at OL with the second group going against this experienced DL
We're missing Chris Paul this Spring. It'll be good to have him back in the fall. Yes, interesting to see how Couch is doing @ center & Gadlin especially at right tackle, both with the1's.

Last edited:
I think it was Glenn Dobbs who tried to generate more local interest by recruits and fans. He held spring practices in cities outside of the immediate Tulsa area. Muskogee, Ponca City, Enid, Bartlesville, Miami, . . . Don't know if it worked, but sounds like a good idea.

Apparently Brin is impressing the staff too. I like how quick his motion is. Smith has a very strong arm. Both Smith and Brin throw a ball that spins very fast. A ball like that is easier to catch, and stays on target better, especially in the wind.

Yes, Brin has been impressive. Smith definitely has an NFL arm.
But is he NFL accurate with NFL discipline to get the feet right and the bail delivered into the window on time? That’s the question. The quickness of his release is absurd. But throwing takes more than an arm. Feet, core, vision, concentration. Lots of unknowns with him after so much time off and ups and down when he was actually playing.

Apparently Brin is impressing the staff too. I like how quick his motion is. Smith has a very strong arm. Both Smith and Brin throw a ball that spins very fast. A ball like that is easier to catch, and stays on target better, especially in the wind.
Interesting how we didn’t hear a peep about Brin until they announced Skipper wasn’t practicing. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? He doesn’t look like he put on much weight though.

It is good that they are mentioning Marquardt. He was a heck of a high school player. His tape is absurd. Just undersized. At one point he was what, QB6 or QB7, and not even on the roster? But he stuck with it. And his parents are super nice and even drive up for games they know he won’t play in. I have a hard time believing he has fewer qualifications to be on the field than Hefley and maybe even Boomer. If we are 1-6 and down 40 points to a team we used to pummel, it would be nice to see what he can do.

The person who gets the job should be the one who moves the chains best-PERIOD!
We have to score more this year. If our offensive production is not better this year we are in big trouble.

Interesting how we didn’t hear a peep about Brin until they announced Skipper wasn’t practicing. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? He doesn’t look like he put on much weight though.

It is good that they are mentioning Marquardt. He was a heck of a high school player. His tape is absurd. Just undersized. At one point he was what, QB6 or QB7, and not even on the roster? But he stuck with it. And his parents are super nice and even drive up for games they know he won’t play in. I have a hard time believing he has fewer qualifications to be on the field than Hefley and maybe even Boomer. If we are 1-6 and down 40 points to a team we used to pummel, it would be nice to see what he can do.
I was happy to hear Marquardt mentioned too. I really thought he might sneak up the depth chart over a period of years. Would love to see him play in the same situations you mention, down 40 etc. Or on the other end of the spectrum, in a game that is well in hand in the 4th quarter with an FCS team, for that matter.

Does anyone know why Skipper is not practicing? Unbelievable how little information is public on that issue.

I hope Luke stays in school and finishes his degree at TU. My understanding is he is a pretty bright kid. His back injury must have been pretty serious.

Wish him the best. I think he saw the writing on the wall.
I still think he's a pretty talented kid. But he's also a pretty intellectual kid and sometimes that need to think things through and analyze things actually slows down that process of making a decision. I would bet he's a heck of a chess player and I don't mean that as a knock. My son is a GK in soccer and his biggest struggle is just reacting as he always tries to read the play and know where a kid is shooting instead of just reacting at times. You can visibly see him working through the situation at times.

My guess is Skipper would be a heck of a coach some day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT