ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Swilling - Frontier Article

TUBballJunkie

I.T.S. University President
Mar 16, 2003
I don't really want to give this more clicks but I'm pissed everytime it pops up in my timeline and newsfeed.

My favorite part is how they make it sound like Pat faced no consequences.

And for those not on Twitter, the promotional tweets are basically "if you're mad about the Stanford swimmer, wait until you read this!" You know, the guy who was actually charged and found guilty.

https://www.readfrontier.com/investigation/did-tu-fail-to-investigate-sexual-assault-allegations/

Last edited:
I like Frontier but this is weak. The attorneys on that case for her are also weak. Cari Aspinwall is also sort of weak.

The DA would have prosecuted this if there was something to see. And the alleged victim had fine legal representation on the protective order.

I was hoping you'd chime in. I thought they did great work on the Bates situation and this made me question my opinions on that.

I really want to ask when the hit piece on OU and Mixon will be released.

The Ross' attorney is looking for a big strike as a Title IX lawsuit would be big $$$ if he wins. FSU settled so he had a nice payday. There is a big difference between TU security (Campo) and most other university police forces. OU, OSU, Baylor and many others have actual sworn in police officers for their campus police. They have jurisdictional rights on campus, can write citations, enforce traffic laws, and can arrest people. Many times jurisdiction is limited to campus and maybe some immediate surrounding blocks where lots of students live (this was the case in Waco when I was there). Most times Waco PD would not come on campus unless requested by Baylor PD. TU security only started carrying weapons and requiring CLEET certifications 5-6 yrs ago. They cannot detain you. They cannot arrest you. They cannot cite you for a misdemeanor (public into Z, minor in possession, etc.). If they stop you for motor vehicle violation, it is only a campus fine for a violation of campus motor vehicle policies. When working at TU investigations were always conducted by student affairs or someone appointed by the VP of Enrollment and Student Services. At most TU security completed an incident report which would be forwarded to Student Affairs. My experience is that those investigations with Student Affairs are painstakingly thorough. Can't tell you how many times a student was called in multiple times to reiterate a witness or victim account of an incident to ensure no details were missed. My understanding is the student who alleged the 2nd account was disappointed TU didn't throw Swilling out on her word right away. Instead, he was suspended from the basketball team, allowed to continue class, restricted from certain locations and activities on campus and given a strict no contact/no retaliation with/against the victim. Violation of any of those conditions would have warranted further action. If Swilling kept his nose clean, went to class and avoided her, then all was good. TU's duty to the victim was to ensure her present and future safety and the ability to continue her education free from threat. There is no prescribed standard of action in Title IX cases.

That article was pretty one-sided. TU is almost always going to withhold comments and info on these things because they can but in today's world of the Internet, everything you read there is the gospel truth. Bad things happen on all college campuses but it is my opinion that TU tries to take care of its students and do the right thing (most of the time). That wasn't my experience at Baylor.

Say what you will about Derrick Gragg but he's a compliance guy. And I trust Stead and Yolanda in that regard too.

I hardly know anything about the 2012 accusation. Why would football players call Campo if their friend was assaulted?! Who doesn't call the cops if that's the case? That whole situation isn't the current one but since it's been brought into it...that is just weird to me. Literally the week he got to TU. It just seems turf war or retaliation or something.

I also had zero idea the 2014 accuser is my sorority sister, so I guess thanks for that tidbit, Frontier. It's hard to imagine not standing by a sister's side in something like this...would have been some serious reasons we "abandoned" anyone. Dear lord those text exchanges make me cringe.

I would trust the police investigation more than some hit piece on a discredited website.

Frontier is legit. This article is not

I'm surprised this case wasn't expunged. http://www.oscn.net/dockets/GetCaseInformation.aspx?db=tulsa&number=PO-2014-488&cmid=2704174

She had a protective order against Swilling. Then she got it dismissed. To do that, you have to go tell the judge you don't want or need it, and/or potentially recant the allegations.

Here's the thing: they hand these protective orders out like Jimmy John's franchise applications. This is a court you all want to stay out of unless something really bad happens. I've been down there several times the last couple of years for clients and the standard is so low. We had one where the alleged victim didn't want it anymore, and her allegations were based on something that didn't happen over a year before, and we still couldn't get it thrown out when we needed to.

If you actually get to try the case, it's a bit of a circus. We had another where we had the better trial attorneys and somehow lost every single objection. We still prevailed, because again there shouldn't have been a protective order, but it was outrageously closer than it should have been.

The thing about that Court to know is if the Court thought there was any chance of a risk, it would stay in place. And the alleged victim had a really good attorney.

I don't know what happened. We have a process to figure that out. My complaint with the article is that it is too one sided on the plaintiff. If I recall correctly, his local counsel are these two doods who keep suing TU over stupid crap. (And my peeps don't like them.) Of course the plaintiff guy is going to talk up his case. Then he's going to use those lines on the other 250 cases he has. I'm sure they are all winners.

Interesting on the protective order situation. They conveniently left that part out.

His local council was a Brewster according to their article...isn't that the Bates attorneys too? Frontier looooves them.

Brewster's son is listed. That firm supports the program. You are right though, I sort of wonder if that is part of why they are covering this.

To be fair, the order says it is dismissed because she left the jurisdiction. But they wouldn't have required her to do that. There are many that involve put of state people. The court will hand them out.

What I don't understand is why the school is the bad guy here.

We're the bad guy because it's a local witch hunt that fits a very timely and high profile narrative of assault and collegiate athletes. :-/

Reactions: cmullinsTU
We're the bad guy because it's a local witch hunt that fits a very timely and high profile narrative of assault and collegiate athletes. :-/
And TU isn't talking...because they don't need to. And Frontier or any other media outlet can't use a public records info request to make TU hand stuff over. Somebody said it earlier...it was a very one sided article.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT