ADVERTISEMENT

Our measuring stick for success

drboobay

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
We had a good basketball program from 1981 to 2003. If my count is right we made 17 postseason appearances out of 23 seasons (74%) with most of those being NCAA appearances. We also had our share of nice runs in the postseason.

I suspect for most people who care enough to participate on this message board, that level of success is our expectation, and we have been waiting patiently for the past couple of decades for someone to right the ship. Heck I have kept season tickets through the entire period of frustration and pain, so I take offense if anyone were to call me a fair weather fan.

But really, at some point you have to check out mentally and financially. My expectations are summarized in the first paragraph above. Frank Haith and his staff have had ample time to demonstrate their inability to meet this expectation. And honestly, I put the blame squarely on our administration at TU to allow this painful underperformance and litany of excuses to continue.

A winning season with no post season play seems to be the new standard for TU these days.

Remember we had the worst Athletic Director in history leading this debacle for the last few years. That guy was never going to make a change so everything just kept going. It is time for Dickson to step up like he did for the women. Haith is more concerned about talking with his kid than his assistants.

Reactions: RDDrake
Remember we had the worst Athletic Director in history leading this debacle for the last few years. That guy was never going to make a change so everything just kept going. It is time for Dickson to step up like he did for the women. Haith is more concerned about talking with his kid than his assistants.
He made the hire for the women and it was a HR but he didn't fire Matilda...she retired.

A winning season with no post season play seems to be the new standard for TU these days.
The standard should be postseason and graduate kids. Anything less combined with the general malaise surrounding the program from everywhere, fans, media, etc. should be enough to move in a different direction.

I think it's been a long time since anyone has had a coherent plan or clear expectations for anything at TU. Hopefully that's changing and we'll at least have a solid vision that can provide clarity on the role of sports, now and going forward for performance reviews, etc. Almost anything would be better than what we have now, which seems to be a perpetual holding pattern for athletics.

Reactions: drboobay and TUMU
i grew up on the campus in the 50s and 60s and attended most every home football and basketball game; some away and several bowls. Life was good. I miss the old days when it was fun to be a Tulsa fan.

I think it's been a long time since anyone has had a coherent plan or clear expectations for anything at TU. Hopefully that's changing and we'll at least have a solid vision that can provide clarity on the role of sports, now and going forward for performance reviews, etc. Almost anything would be better than what we have now, which seems to be a perpetual holding pattern for athletics.
Yes. It is kind of like a relationship where people's objectives and expectations have grown apart. At a minimum, stating ones objectives allows the other party to make a decision on whether to stick it out. Otherwise you have enduring stress and frustration.

I am not at all saying that some misalignment necessarily means a breakup. Parties might say they still get enough out of it to continue nonetheless. But at least it is in the open.

Should have just kept Doug Wojcik if that was the standard…. At least he was good enough to make the NIT regularly. Frank can only do that on occasion.

Should have just kept Doug Wojcik if that was the standard…. At least he was good enough to make the NIT regularly. Frank can only do that on occasion.
Isn’t this a sad statement of where we are today, when it appears on the surface that having retained a total d-bag would have had us in a better spot. I understand that the conference is better, but Douchie wouldn’t have consistently dropped games against the OOC crew we consistently do under Haith. Douchie had keep that 20 game winning streak alive whether we were in the post season or not.

Last edited:
The expectations are built around competing in conference play, almost to a fault. That's why there's so much emphasis on finishing above their pre-season AAC projection. And why the 3-way tie for 1st in '19-'20 bought him 3 more years.

Reactions: Tu Geo
Perhaps but nobody really says anything, at least publicly.

It's no way to lead any kind of organization where you need to galvanize support.

Should have just kept Doug Wojcik if that was the standard….
Dude, I know you're upset, we all are, but even so, some things are just too vile and hateful to say. And this definitely falls into that category. We need LEC to teach Doug Was a D*$k 101 for those of you who weren't here for that or have forgotten.

Last edited:
Perhaps but nobody really says anything, at least publicly.

It's no way to lead any kind of organization where you need to galvanize support.
You can't get too down or you'll miss the glorious 8 weeks of optimism that we get with a new coach before the 6 or 7 miserable years where we all know he sucks but that TU won't fire him so we just suffer. If you blink or lose interest for a split second, you'll miss the 2 months that have to sustain you through the 8 long years after that.

You can't get too down or you'll miss the glorious 8 weeks of optimism that we get with a new coach before the 6 or 7 miserable years where we all know he sucks but that TU won't fire him so we just suffer. If you blink or lose interest for a split second, you'll miss the 2 months that have to sustain you through the 8 long years after that.
Mr. Sunshine!

Last edited:
Dude, I know you're upset, we all are, but even so, some things are just too vile and hateful to say. And this definitely falls into that category. We need LEC to teach Doug Was a D*$k 101 for those of you who weren't here for that or have forgotten.
He's viewing dougie through the rose colored glasses of his haithred.

We need LEC to teach Doug Was a D*$k 101 for those of you who weren't here for that or have forgotten.
LEC is a scholar and a gentleman. And he will teach that course with the aplomb of the legendary JP Ronda. Might even sport a blue & gold bolo.

• Haha
Reactions: TU Sepp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT