ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma House passes Bill to make it a felony to perform abortions

lawpoke87

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
Assuming Fallon signs this bill into law, how is this action even remotely constitutional? Will Scott Pruitt advise Fallon of the legal fight ahead and it's likely result if the bill is allowed to become law? Will Fallon refuse to sign the bill?

What are these guys doing at the state capitol? Someone talk me off the ledge here.

You elect idiots and this is what you get. The current legislature should be removed from office for the damage they have done to this state. Vote against every incumbent this fall.
Hear, hear. I hate reading stories like this about my home state. Even if I were pro-life (I'm not), you could at least be smarter about it and write something that effectively limits abortion but still has some chance of withstanding court scrutiny (see e.g., Texas). Bills like this are simply going to cost the state tons of money defending an indefensible law which will likely never be enforced and eventually be overturned. Anyone who voted for a bill like that has sent up a bright red flag declaring themselves to be unfit for serious office.

Reactions: WATU2
I am pro-Choice. But even if I wasn't this is idiotic. It is a waste of time and money. Oklahoma has deep financial problems and does not need to be tilting at windmills. They seem to want to set up a struggle with the federal government that they can't win. Overturning Roe v. Wade is not going to happen. Turning doctors into felon's for doing a legal procedure is stupid.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Hear, hear. I hate reading stories like this about my home state. Even if I were pro-life (I'm not), you could at least be smarter about it and write something that effectively limits abortion but still has some chance of withstanding court scrutiny (see e.g., Texas). Bills like this are simply going to cost the state tons of money defending an indefensible law which will likely never be enforced and eventually be overturned. Anyone who voted for a bill like that has sent up a bright red flag declaring themselves to be unfit for serious office.
As one headline said, "Oklahoma Had Its Most Embarrassing Day Ever" although I find that hard to believe. It's time for all conservatives to finally understand that SCOTUS is NEVER over-turning Roe v Wade. It's time to turn away from trying to create laws to skirt the SCOTUS ruling and focus on educating individuals. As POTUS said, no one thinks abortion is a good thing, even those individuals who choose that option. If you're pro-choice, it doesn't mean you're anti-life. The terms are not equivalent. This is probably 5 abortion banning or limiting laws in the last 15 years from the OK legislature, the first 4 have all been declared unConstitutional by the OK Supreme Court and subsequently the Fed. Appeals courts.

Then the legislature tops that with their directive to OK US congressional representation to file articles of impeachment on POTUS for the Justice Depts. directive on how transgender students should be treated, then file another bill directing school districts to provide separate restroom/locker room facilities for students who object to transgender students for religious purposes, despite the fact that the OK legislature has bankrupted the state's budget to the point where schools can't even fund arts programs and are firing/laying off teachers. <SMH> States can keep pushing their anti-trans, anti-LGBTQ agendas until ultimately they will end up at SCOTUS' feet and SCOTUS is forced to rule that LGBTQ individuals are a class that cannot be discriminated against under the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment. I believe SCOTUS avoided that with the gay marriage ruling last year...they can't avoid it forever. When it happens, I expect bozos like Nathan Dahm to file a motion of secession at the OK State Capital, because, well we're OK and we like the other 49 states laughing at us.

I am pro-Choice. But even if I wasn't this is idiotic. It is a waste of time and money. Oklahoma has deep financial problems and does not need to be tilting at windmills. They seem to want to set up a struggle with the federal government that they can't win. Overturning Roe v. Wade is not going to happen. Turning doctors into felon's for doing a legal procedure is stupid.
I forgot to mention...it's a smokescreen to try and get attention away from their ineptness and inability to figure out how to generate revenue and fund schools and infrastructure.

I forgot to mention...it's a smokescreen to try and get attention away from their ineptness and inability to figure out how to generate revenue and fund schools and infrastructure.
Sadly likely. "Wedge" issues are great at distracting people from real issues.

It's funny because if a candidate otherwise seems to have a level head, I used to mostly ignore anti-abortion views and such when deciding who to vote for on the state or city level. I mostly assumed it was just empty noise, designed to get a certain slice of the electorate to identify and vote for them. The last few years have made me reassess that assumption. There are a bunch of quixotic nuts out there.

Just the Oklahoma version of the NC transgender bathroom bill. Diversionary wedge issue.

Just the Oklahoma version of the NC transgender bathroom bill. Diversionary wedge issue.

Wouldn't threatening to cut off funding for poor children who attend public schools if the school doesn't allow boys in the girls restrooms and locker rooms be a wedge issue? I assume most parents don't want boys or men in rest rooms or locker rooms with their daughters? Picking children as the battle ground for a social policy certainly appears rather extreme.

Comparing this to settled law of Roe v. Wade is apple and oranges imo.

Last edited:
When even Mary Fallin calls bs on your reactionary agenda, you are pretty much terrible and should quit hurting America.

Reactions: TUMe and WATU2
Scott Pruitt gave her excellent advise or it so appears. Color me slightly surprised.

Mary Fallin though I disagree with many of her views, she is not stupid.(ie she's not Palinesque) She knows that the law is unconstitutional.(unless Roe v Wade is repealed) She knows signing it would bring her a lot of bad press, and that it would not be good for her VP image. Don't think that, THAT(VP), is not the first thing on her mind, cuz it is. AMBITION

Reactions: eastcane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT